Bike written off - Campag groupset swap advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

I'll be writing a report in my intro thread about this later, but long story short - bike met car head-on and I now have a 3-piece frame.

I'm running through the insurance replacement but have come into issues with the Centaur groupset - which was discontinued in 2014.

Now, obviously Potenza would be the perfect straight-swap for this, however I'd have to wait a few months before claiming, SO, do I just settle with Athena? Would there be issues with it being an 'upgrade' to 11 speed?

Obviously when it comes down to it, I'll just buy the best I can afford, but in terms of like-for-like on the insurance, I'm not 100% sure what to put down.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

P.S. I don't care about your personal preference regarding Campagnolo vs Shimano vs SRAM - please leave it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Did the components survive? Do you expect the insurance money to go to an entirely new bike, or just a new frame?
Last edited by BikeAnon on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Devon

by Devon

BikeAnon wrote:Did the components survive? Do you expect the insurance money to go to an entirely new bike, or just a new frame?

Survive ongoing integrity are very different things. While the components may work, they all suffered damage (gouges on the carbon cranks and rear mech, ripped hoods etc.)

I'm going to try to get all/most of the parts replaced if I can - there's no harm in trying. At the very least I'll be fighting for frame, wheels (buckled), saddle (ripped), bars and any carbon parts, along with the required acessories to build it back up again. If I can get the lot swapped that would be great - becasue it's a mess.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

When I went through this (US laws, I'm sure it's different), I had a local bike shop create an estimate of what it would cost to bring the existing bike back to good repair.

This estimate was pretty pricey, as buying individual components, and adding labor costs more than a new bike.

I then had the shop add in all other items (clothing, helmet, etc.).

In the end, I didn't worry about the component spec. For example, I had 6 year old Dura Ace (9 speed). For each component that needed replacing, I had the shop spec repairing or replacing that level of component (used or new-old-stock).

Think of it like a car... if you are driving a 5 year old Jaguar, the insurance is not going to get you enough for a new Jag, but it should give you enough where you can buy a 5 year old car.

In the end, I had enough for an all-new bike (including lower end components). It wasn't ideal, but it was fair.

Side-note.... I've spent the last 5 years "upgrading" that replacement bike, and I've now replaced everything on it including the frame. :lol:
Last edited by BikeAnon on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

It's similar here. I'd basically like to get away with as much as possible without taking the piss. The issue is similar though in terms of replacing old for old - I can't trust the crashed parts - and shouldn't be expected to trust second hand parts either.

BikeAnon wrote:Think of it like a car... if you are driving a 5 year old Jaguar, the insurance is not going to get you enough for a new Jag, but it should give you enough where you can buy a 5 year old car.

100% valid :smartass:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Sorry about your incident!! Your bike looked great. Are you damaged too or was it just the bike?

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Devon wrote:....I can't trust the crashed parts - and shouldn't be expected to trust second hand parts either.
Absolutely not. Aluminum is no different.

If part = compromised, you should claim full replacement cost.

In my example, we shopped eBay for some parts. The reality is, you were riding "used" equipment. You should be able to replace some of it with "used" equipment.

Much like the car example... you'd have to accept the insurance check for enough money to only buy a 5 year old car, or a newer car that is "lesser".

Go to a shop you are friendly with. Pick out your "next bike". Ask the shop to write an estimate on your dead bike that gets you enough money to buy the new bike. Let the shop know that whatever amount you get on the insurance will go in their pockets.

I'm not saying be disingenuous, but I am saying to look for a quote that will get you back on a ride that makes you as happy as your previous one.

The insurance company is happy you are not looking at major bills from hospital.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

We don't have hospital bills in the UK :)

Really sorry to hear about the crash. Guessing it's the Aithein? Swapping straight up for another orange aithein?

Regarding groupsets, I would honestly say chorus would be a good idea. You can pick up the group without the crank from mantel for a decent price.

Other than that, mix and match chorus and athena?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

MikeyBE wrote:We don't have hospital bills in the UK :) ....
I live in such a backward nation. :oops:

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I also went through this ordeal in the US 2 years ago. I went to my favorite LBS and they inspected and put together a list with labor.

The crash ruined my frame / fork, but magically all of my components survived. The front wheel needed truing. My frame was discontinued and the LBS called the manufacturer and they had a conversion list of old frames to current ones based on the level of them. I think every manufacturer has this because of warranty claims. You / your LBS might call Campagnolo for their recommendation.

Don't forget to add labor / your helmet (maybe clothing) to the claim. I also ended up adding a bike fit to the claim and the cost of two month of public transportation (that was my only bike back then).

And most importantly I hope you are alright.

Devon

by Devon

burglarboycie wrote:Sorry about your incident!! Your bike looked great. Are you damaged too or was it just the bike?

I'm fine, thanks. Just a bit grazed and sore. Somehow landed on my feet dispite smashing the windscreen with my shoulder! (I think my backpack full of work clothes saved me somewhat)

BikeAnon wrote:Go to a shop you are friendly with.

I work for the shop! I was given conflicting views by my collegues so wanted a few more opinions. I've also been told to do the report myself, which is usually left to the mechanics.

MikeyBE wrote:Guessing it's the Aithein? Swapping straight up for another orange aithein?

Regarding groupsets, I would honestly say chorus would be a good idea. You can pick up the group without the crank from mantel for a decent price.

Other than that, mix and match chorus and athena?

Unfortunately yes the Aithein. I'm thinking maybe get the disc version, or may top up the insurance money for a Mason Definition...... 8)

Svetty

by Svetty

Had similar (in UK) a couple of years back. LBS sorted me out a quote for replacement of damaged frame/components - effectively new for old. I forwarded this to the insurers and got a cheque back. The main issue insurers are bothered about is damages for lost earnings, pain, physio bills etc. You are within your rights to obtain private medical care and charge the insurer....

numberSix

by numberSix

from an Insurance stand-point, scratched = damaged = replace with like parts currently available.
There is no 'repair shop' to recondition scratched parts, to return them to Pre-Loss Condition.

glad you're ok

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

If you fancy UK alloy, what about Bowman? I'd still go kinesis if it was me. I get plenty of compliments on mine in Belgium.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

You should just get the full retail estimate from your shop including labor and all and then submit it. It's probably low enough in the grand scheme of things that they will just pay. Imagine what they would be paying if it was a car and you were hurt. I really doubt an insurer is going to know the difference between Centaur and Chorus or tell you to go and buy a used derailleur off ebay.

After you get your check you buy the parts/frame from whoever has the best deal. You'll probably come out ahead.

I'm glad you aren't hurt!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com