Time to replace my Drive train, need some sugestions......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

You can get a chain checker to measure chain wear or with 3,000 miles on it you may just want to replace it. Dark colored chainrings look crappy after not too many miles. You may have a lot of life left in yours. It seems like your cassette should have lots of life left as well. I'd be inclined to fully clean the drive train and install a new chain. You can post some pics of both and the experts here will give you an assessment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

if you bought a Rotor 3D24 crankset, it would mean you could fit a power2max to it later.

muntos

by muntos

jeffy wrote:if you bought a Rotor 3D24 crankset, it would mean you could fit a power2max to it later.

Are you sure...? I saw only for 3D30, 3D+ on their site...

L.E. You're right, there it is:
http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produ ... anks-road/

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Honest LBS told you to replace large chainring with ~ 3k miles + demo miles? Let's be conservative and say demo miles ~1k. No mechanic in clear mind will replace chainring with such low miles unless it exhibit a defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

KarlC

by KarlC

jeffy wrote:if you bought a Rotor 3D24 crankset, it would mean you could fit a power2max to it later.

Like this one on ebay ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotor-3D-Power- ... SwL7VWkhWi
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

AJS914 wrote:You can get a chain checker to measure chain wear or with 3,000 miles on it you may just want to replace it. Dark colored chainrings look crappy after not too many miles. You may have a lot of life left in yours. It seems like your cassette should have lots of life left as well. I'd be inclined to fully clean the drive train and install a new chain. You can post some pics of both and the experts here will give you an assessment.

LBS measure the chain and said I was due pretty soon.

mpulsiv wrote:Honest LBS told you to replace large chainring with ~ 3k miles + demo miles? Let's be conservative and say demo miles ~1k. No mechanic in clear mind will replace chainring with such low miles unless it exhibit a defect.

I will get some photos
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If you are satisfied with what you own, simply upgrade to 6800. Alternatively you could price 6700 out replacement parts but with so many its probably not worth it, and 6800 is generally regarded as better.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

muntos

by muntos

KarlC wrote:

Like this one on ebay ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotor-3D-Power- ... SwL7VWkhWi

Not quite, this is a 3D+, it has a 30mm axle not 24mm as the 3D24 has. It can be fitted to your BB86 BB but requires special bearings that are susceptible to premature wear.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

The 3D+ or 3D30 with 30mm axle is what I'm currently running in my BB86 frame. No issues yet with my BB bearings and not expecting any. I'm using a Hope BB (4130) and its silky smooth, I would also look at Enduro Bearings a an option. The Rotor BB I have seems to have a lot of drag but I did not install it to check for sure, in the hand it is noticeably harder to spin.

I love the preload adjustment collar of the Rotor 3D30 cranks, so simple to use without the need for spacers. The inbuilt crank remover (collar) is also a big plus, all you need to remove the crank is an Allen key and cassette lock ring tool. The ability to then add a Power2Max later down the road makes it a bit of a winner. No need to send it off for installation or purchase another crankset. It's simply spider off and power meter on.

My only negative to the system was the older graphics, the newer models are much more subtle. If you're so inclined a quick spray black would have them looking bad ass on that bike.

tommasini

by tommasini

KarlC wrote:
AJS914 wrote:You can get a chain checker to measure chain wear or with 3,000 miles on it you may just want to replace it. Dark colored chainrings look crappy after not too many miles. You may have a lot of life left in yours. It seems like your cassette should have lots of life left as well. I'd be inclined to fully clean the drive train and install a new chain. You can post some pics of both and the experts here will give you an assessment.

LBS measure the chain and said I was due pretty soon.

mpulsiv wrote:Honest LBS told you to replace large chainring with ~ 3k miles + demo miles? Let's be conservative and say demo miles ~1k. No mechanic in clear mind will replace chainring with such low miles unless it exhibit a defect.

I will get some photos

So if the chain is just getting the verge of needing replaced...........unless those demo miles were something on the order 15K miles......and unless the pictures of the teeth show otherwise, me think the mechanic is looking to sell you something you don't need yet (chainring). By my experiance, if you care for your chain and replace before it's toast, you should get something around 3 - 4 well worn cassettes and double that number of chains before you should need to replace chainrings.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mpulsiv wrote:Shimano chainrings are forged, 20k miles is just break-in period for them. Are you just looking for an excuse to get something lighter? Shimano will make splash of new products this summer.

i upgraded most of my cpt's from ultegra to dura ace. believe me the grams don't translate into any real performance gains. what you might experience is smoother shifting and better looking equipment(depends on your taste).
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

KarlC

by KarlC

Never looked this close at it before, it looks embarrassingly dirty

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Derf

by Derf

Looks good for another 15,000+ miles to me. Clean'r up and get riding. (If you need a new chain, you need a new chain)

mimason

by mimason

Hard to tell totally since pics are not straight on but it appears you can ride them for at least another year or longer from my angle.

I bet your pulleys need a good degunking too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

You can see some of the top of the teeth wore off. Not sure if that's why he said I could be replaced soon

This LBS let's you bring your own parts so I don't think he's just tring to sell me stuff. More so that he's picky and prefers bikes in top condition when you can.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12