Time to replace my Drive train, need some sugestions......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Derf

by Derf

That's the pattern of the teeth themselves ("worn" off tops every __ teeth) to help shifting. Have a look at a brand new chainring and you see the same thing. There's hardly any scoring in the chainring teeth and they're not becoming sharkfins, so a thorough cleaning/relube/etc will get you a long ways. Yes, obviously, the anodizing has worn off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I'd ride that for another two years, at least, lol

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

KarlC wrote:You can see some of the top of the teeth wore off. Not sure if that's why he said I could be replaced soon

This LBS let's you bring your own parts so I don't think he's just tring to sell me stuff. More so that he's picky and prefers bikes in top condition when you can.

Teeth are not supposed to have identical shape by design. Shimano engineers can explain that to you. Take a look at new chainring.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

F45

by F45

I'd get a new 6700 chain and a new ultegra 6700 cassette and call it good. That's like $70 in parts.

addictR1

by addictR1

Karl, beautiful bike. I'm waiting to pick up my TMR02-2015. I'll be replacing the component with Red crank + Rotor QXL 52/36, Red RD + 11/28 or 12/30 and red shifters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

Thanks for all of the input guys, I was just going to keep what I have an ride it for a while longer but it look like I just bought a Lightning SL Carbon Crank with Praxis Compact 50/34 rings.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

addictR1

by addictR1

congrats on the new crank and rings.. :)

carlcurry

by carlcurry

What about just continuing the upgrade path to Dura Ace - even the new version being rumored for this summer? Ultegra is good value, but it's heavy. That frame easily warrants top tier. You can piece by piece to go to Dura Ace.
Or, of course Red or Record, but each of those is more initial cash.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

KarlC

by KarlC

carlcurry wrote:What about just continuing the upgrade path to Dura Ace - even the new version being rumored for this summer? Ultegra is good value, but it's heavy. That frame easily warrants top tier. You can piece by piece to go to Dura Ace.
Or, of course Red or Record, but each of those is more initial cash.

That's one option but following the Aero and Light is Right I just got what seams to be a good deal on a set of a Lightning SL Carbon Cranks with Praxis Compact 50/34 rings.

I'm not sure I will keep the Praxis Compact 50/34 rings as I am still wanting 52/34 or maybe 52/36
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

addictR1

by addictR1

Karl.. go SRAM RED for the rest of the component. it'll definitely drop the weight down. my TMR02 stock with 105 is 8.3Kg/ 18.3 lbs. can't wait for parts to arrive and start on the transformation and weight reduction...

KarlC

by KarlC

addictR1 wrote:Karl.. go SRAM RED for the rest of the component. it'll definitely drop the weight down. my TMR02 stock with 105 is 8.3Kg/ 18.3 lbs. can't wait for parts to arrive and start on the transformation and weight reduction...

So far I really dont want to give up my Di2, I'm not sure I can go back to mechanical just to save some grams, there must be others ways.

So far my TMR01 size 56 with Zipp 404s is at 7.18 kg or 15.8 lbs and dropping, not to bad for an Aero bike.

Be sure to weight ALL parts of your bike, frame, fork, seat post and so on and so on.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

mimason

by mimason

Again, you can drop some easy weight just with the Red cassette, and a DA chain which is lighter than Ultegra. Not sure what skewers you are using with your Zipps but light QRs are another easy place to drop weight. Most people find the big weight savings with tubs but you may also consider light tubes and tires with your 404s.

addictR1

by addictR1

Karl: last night i took her apart. the headset took forever to remove from the fork. even the spacers were on really tight and left some light scuff marks on the fork when i finally removed it. those will be replaced with carbon ones for sure! my 48cm frame weigh in at 1370g (including only rear brake assembly + headset bearings). fork with crown race is 357g. now i'm waiting for some jagwire road pro XL cables, SRAM Red FD, Zipp bars, SRAM Red front brake to arrive then i can start the build.