Campagnolo Shamal-new wider version

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

Calnago wrote:Get the new Shamal Ultras, with the 17mm internal width. A friend came back from the 2016 Death Ride in California and first thing he wanted was some new "low profile" wheels after things got a little sketchy for him on some of the windy descents with his higher profile wheels. So he got the new Shamal Ultras and let me have them for a good run through before he started riding them.
First off, the outside width is 22.5mm, not the 24.2mm found on the current Boras etc. but a good bit wider than the old 20.5mm. It's a nice width for a clincher. In my testing I mounted both 23mm and 25mm Continental 4000S II tires and compared them to the same tires mounted on my older Campy Neutron rims. 23's fit fine on both, with of course more volume happening on the wider rims. He ended up settling on the 23's partly due to the fact 25's were too big and he ran into clearance issues on the rear of his C59 (barely cleared, but no margin for wiggle room). But while the 25's had the very noticeable "lightbulb" shape on the narrower Neutrons, they looked perfect on the new Shamal Ultras, so either tire works.
On the truing stand these wheels were as perfect as they get in all the measuring criteria... roundness, true, and dish. I'd say no more than 0.1mm out, if that, in any one of those measurements.
He's been riding them for over a month and absolutely loves them. He's our "wheelie" guy too. Oh, and he got the Clincher version, NOT the 2-way fit version. I could mount the tires by hand, which I cannot say about my old Neutrons. In fact, I pinched a tube in my old Neutrons during the whole affair due to how difficult it was to get the tires on and off. I wouldn't mind a set of the Ultras for that reason alone. I haven't tried the 2-way fit in these wheels but I know in general they've been known to have some pretty tight fits. In our circle, while a couple guys have tried tubeless on the road, they seem to be more of a hassle than not. So if I were to get a new set, I'd also opt for the clincher version.

Thanks Calnago :)

Will definitely be going for the Clincher version, over the 2-way fit :thumbup:

It's good to hear that the 23mm Conti's will work fine on the C17's - I can use my set till they're worn out and that's not an additional expense I'll need to worry about if I do spend the extra on the C17's.

So in saying that the 25mm Conti's look perfect on the C17's, would you therefore say the 23mm don't look right... or do they also mate to the rim well enough with a nice transition from tyre to rim etc. or do they look mismatched?

Cheers!

scb

by scb

robertbb wrote:
Calnago wrote:Get the new Shamal Ultras, with the 17mm internal width. A friend came back from the 2016 Death Ride in California and first thing he wanted was some new "low profile" wheels after things got a little sketchy for him on some of the windy descents with his higher profile wheels. So he got the new Shamal Ultras and let me have them for a good run through before he started riding them.
First off, the outside width is 22.5mm, not the 24.2mm found on the current Boras etc. but a good bit wider than the old 20.5mm. It's a nice width for a clincher. In my testing I mounted both 23mm and 25mm Continental 4000S II tires and compared them to the same tires mounted on my older Campy Neutron rims. 23's fit fine on both, with of course more volume happening on the wider rims. He ended up settling on the 23's partly due to the fact 25's were too big and he ran into clearance issues on the rear of his C59 (barely cleared, but no margin for wiggle room). But while the 25's had the very noticeable "lightbulb" shape on the narrower Neutrons, they looked perfect on the new Shamal Ultras, so either tire works.
On the truing stand these wheels were as perfect as they get in all the measuring criteria... roundness, true, and dish. I'd say no more than 0.1mm out, if that, in any one of those measurements.
He's been riding them for over a month and absolutely loves them. He's our "wheelie" guy too. Oh, and he got the Clincher version, NOT the 2-way fit version. I could mount the tires by hand, which I cannot say about my old Neutrons. In fact, I pinched a tube in my old Neutrons during the whole affair due to how difficult it was to get the tires on and off. I wouldn't mind a set of the Ultras for that reason alone. I haven't tried the 2-way fit in these wheels but I know in general they've been known to have some pretty tight fits. In our circle, while a couple guys have tried tubeless on the road, they seem to be more of a hassle than not. So if I were to get a new set, I'd also opt for the clincher version.

Thanks Calnago :)

Will definitely be going for the Clincher version, over the 2-way fit :thumbup:

It's good to hear that the 23mm Conti's will work fine on the C17's - I can use my set till they're worn out and that's not an additional expense I'll need to worry about if I do spend the extra on the C17's.

So in saying that the 25mm Conti's look perfect on the C17's, would you therefore say the 23mm don't look right... or do they also mate to the rim well enough with a nice transition from tyre to rim etc. or do they look mismatched?

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that Campy recommends only 25mm and up on the c17s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

My friend just got Fulcrum Racing Zero C17, which is essentially the same breed as Shamal C17.

He had borrowed my Fulcrum Zero C15 wheel for 2 weeks and its performance made him buy the updated version this year.

While he says there isn't much difference between C15 and C17, he told me that downhill has become stable, thus confident rides.

Weight disadvantage is only diminutive and benefits come from wider rims quickly overshadow the weight penalty.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

robertbb wrote:...So in saying that the 25mm Conti's look perfect on the C17's, would you therefore say the 23mm don't look right... or do they also mate to the rim well enough with a nice transition from tyre to rim etc. or do they look mismatched?

Cheers!

Not at all, the 23's look great as well, probably even a better match if you care about aero at all. But the 25's looked a little too big for the Neutrons, and hence I said they look perfect on the new rims. Even though I've got 25's on my Neutrons, they fit the new rims much better. I know I took some pics... heading out now, but perhaps tomorrow I'll post them up for you.

As for Campy recommending only 25's and up, I think that all depends. I would not be concerned at all if you wanted to run 23's. That's what my buddy is running.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

robertbb

by robertbb

Calnago wrote:
robertbb wrote:...So in saying that the 25mm Conti's look perfect on the C17's, would you therefore say the 23mm don't look right... or do they also mate to the rim well enough with a nice transition from tyre to rim etc. or do they look mismatched?

Cheers!

Not at all, the 23's look great as well, probably even a better match if you care about aero at all. But the 25's looked a little too big for the Neutrons, and hence I said they look perfect on the new rims. Even though I've got 25's on my Neutrons, they fit the new rims much better. I know I took some pics... heading out now, but perhaps tomorrow I'll post them up for you.

As for Campy recommending only 25's and up, I think that all depends. I would not be concerned at all if you wanted to run 23's. That's what my buddy is running.

That'd be awesome, thanks mate!

I'm still torn between the C15's and C17's. I'm light @ 68kg's and don't do centuries or fondo's - I specifically train for and do 1-3 hour hill climbs. So the aero/comfort benefits of 25mm rubber aren't important considerations for me whereas climbing efficiency and handling on the descent definitely are. Climbing will undoubtedly be better on the (70g) lighter 15c rims - I'm just trying to determine how much of a benefit I'll notice handling-wise on the descent with 17c rims. I don't tend to push the limits so hard on the descent, it's just a fun glide back to the BBQ to celebrate the climb ;-) but if it's a massive improvement in terms of safety then I'd consider it.

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Where does the handling improvement on the wider rim come from, contact patch? It must be a significant percentage improvement to actually feel it - if it was only a few percent I would be surprised if one could feel the difference (or if the difference was essentially noise versus other variables such as tire manufacturer, frame geometry, etc).
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

superdx

by superdx

There's a very noticeable difference in terms of stability on wider rims. 22.5mm vs. 24.5mm may not seem like much but all my descent PRs are on the 24.5mm wheel. You just feel more planted and a lot less twitchy, i.e. a lot more confidence. Michelin Pro4 25c tires on both. It also has a lot more traction on non-dry roads.

I'm actually planning to replace my 22.5mm wheels with wider wheels, given the terrible weather I always seem to end up riding in.

Definitely give it a couple rides if you can on a wider wheel. Hopefully you find them same results!

scb

by scb

superdx wrote:There's a very noticeable difference in terms of stability on wider rims. 22.5mm vs. 24.5mm may not seem like much but all my descent PRs are on the 24.5mm wheel. You just feel more planted and a lot less twitchy, i.e. a lot more confidence. Michelin Pro4 25c tires on both. It also has a lot more traction on non-dry roads.

I'm actually planning to replace my 22.5mm wheels with wider wheels, given the terrible weather I always seem to end up riding in.

Definitely give it a couple rides if you can on a wider wheel. Hopefully you find them same results!

This. Totally agree with this. Big improvement in feeling more planted and confident with wider wheels. Went from Enve 6.7s, Zipp 404s, and Fulcrum Racing Lights to Bora Ultra 35s and Shamal Ultra C17s, and the ride quality and my road confidence improved markedly. Still have the former wheels but almost never ride them anymore.