Campagnolo Shamal-new wider version

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Does anyone have any info regarding release date? Thanks in advance

jimborello

by jimborello

And if someone knows if the Shamal Milles are also going to be updated with the wider rims please let us now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

From Cyclingnews/Bikeradar:

Shamal Ultra wheels

Remember that image of Miguel Indurain speeding to another crushing time trial victory in more than one of his five early 90s Tour de France victories? Well those highly polished aluminium wheels he was riding were the original Shamals, which were ground breaking at the time for being one of the first assembled wheels whose component parts were all created specifically for them. Things have moved on a bit these days, but the Shamal continues, and offers similar weight to a mid-range carbon wheelset, making it truly race-worthy.

The new Shamal Ultra C17 can call on great pedigree, since the model has previously innovated differential rim heights, the G3 spoke pattern, oversized drive side flange, USB ceramic bearings, MoMag magnetic nipple fitting technology, oversized aluminium aero spokes, 2-Way Fit rim profiles and Rim Dynamic Balance.

But for 2016, there's a new 17mm internal width, up from 15mm, which is designed to create a more aerodynamic profile specifically with 25mm or 28mm tyres, as well as a larger tyre contact patch, more comfort thanks to greater air volume, and increased rigidity and reactivity. The front hub body is carbon fibre, and both hubs have USB ceramic bearings with an adjustable lock ring – first seen on the Bora wheelset – for preload adjustment.

The drive side rear flange is oversized, and there are 16 radial anodised aluminium spokes up front, with 21 behind in the Mega G3 pattern, and Campagnolo's anti-rotation system ensuring they don't turn in use. Chrome finished self-locking nipples look good and can be adjusted conventionally, while the rims are lightened through toroidal milling, which shaves away metal where it's not needed.

They'll be offered in clincher and 2-Way Fit (tubeless) versions, and claimed weights are 1,435g per pair for the clinchers, and 1,515g for the 2-Way Fit version.

Prices are only available in Euros at the moment.

Shamal Ultra C17 2-Way Fit, front & rear, Campagnolo freehub: €1250.37
Shamal Ultra C17 2-Way Fit, front & rear, Shimano/SRAM freehub: €1255.75
Shamal Ultra C17 clincher, front & rear, Campagnolo freehub: €1201.92
Shamal Ultra C17 clincher, front & rear, Shimano/SRAM freehub: €1208.08

RickyKong

by RickyKong

Anyone who know the shop stocked date of 2way-fit version??

I really want to take it!

fogman

by fogman

I would really be interested in the Shamal C17 if Campagnolo would manufacture it in the Mille version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Alot of shops have been discounting the 'older' shamals. Is the new one expected later in May/June?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

phlip

by phlip

I just noticed yesterday that Wiggle are listing a Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG Alloy Clincher Wheelset (2016) and advertise it with "Please note that this wheelset is the same as the previous version, but with an improved C17 (wider) rim so to work better with 25mm tyres".

Looking at fulcrumwheels.com confirms that the Racing Quattro LG, Racing 5 LG, and Racing 7 LG have been updated to 23 mm wide rims. Weights are 1725 g, 1658 g, and 1763 g, respectively.

I hope the Racing Zero and Zonda will be updated too at some point in the future.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

phlip wrote:
I hope the Racing Zero and Zonda will be updated too at some point in the future.

If they update the zonda to C17, that will be a killer training wheel.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

fogman wrote:I would really be interested in the Shamal C17 if Campagnolo would manufacture it in the Mille version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Mille and the black brake track still looks perfect, but the Mille-specific blue pads wear shockingly fast. I'm talking 10x faster than any pad I've ever used. I think I would get the standard brake track in C17

robertbb

by robertbb

Have posted this elsewhere but might be better here:

I am about to pull the trigger on some Shamals (not the Mille, just the standard Ultra).

There's some pretty hefty discounts on offer right now for the older 15mm model - around $450 savings compared with the new 17mm model. I'm used to 23mm tyres (Conti GP4000S2) on Kinlin XR-200's, so both the 15mm and 17mm Shamal's will be a massive improvement.

Question is: would you all drop the extra $$$ for the C17's or happily purchase the 15mm model? Is the 17mm really worth that price difference? I also have two near-new 23mm GP4000S2's that I could use with the older rim - if I get the newer rim I'd need to drop even more cash on new tyres).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get the new Shamal Ultras, with the 17mm internal width. A friend came back from the 2016 Death Ride in California and first thing he wanted was some new "low profile" wheels after things got a little sketchy for him on some of the windy descents with his higher profile wheels. So he got the new Shamal Ultras and let me have them for a good run through before he started riding them.
First off, the outside width is 22.5mm, not the 24.2mm found on the current Boras etc. but a good bit wider than the old 20.5mm. It's a nice width for a clincher. In my testing I mounted both 23mm and 25mm Continental 4000S II tires and compared them to the same tires mounted on my older Campy Neutron rims. 23's fit fine on both, with of course more volume happening on the wider rims. He ended up settling on the 23's partly due to the fact 25's were too big and he ran into clearance issues on the rear of his C59 (barely cleared, but no margin for wiggle room). But while the 25's had the very noticeable "lightbulb" shape on the narrower Neutrons, they looked perfect on the new Shamal Ultras, so either tire works.
On the truing stand these wheels were as perfect as they get in all the measuring criteria... roundness, true, and dish. I'd say no more than 0.1mm out, if that, in any one of those measurements.
He's been riding them for over a month and absolutely loves them. He's our "wheelie" guy too. Oh, and he got the Clincher version, NOT the 2-way fit version. I could mount the tires by hand, which I cannot say about my old Neutrons. In fact, I pinched a tube in my old Neutrons during the whole affair due to how difficult it was to get the tires on and off. I wouldn't mind a set of the Ultras for that reason alone. I haven't tried the 2-way fit in these wheels but I know in general they've been known to have some pretty tight fits. In our circle, while a couple guys have tried tubeless on the road, they seem to be more of a hassle than not. So if I were to get a new set, I'd also opt for the clincher version.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scb

by scb

I've had the Shamal Ultra C17s for about a month but just rode them last night for first time. Running them with 25mm Conti GP 4season for winter. So far I'm very impressed, and my plan is to use these as my bombproof clinchers for climbing / winter weather.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Did you get the clincher only version, or the two-way fit version? Curious to know if the 2-way fit version is as easy to mount a normal clincher/tube combo as the clincher only version is.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scb

by scb

Calnago wrote:Did you get the clincher only version, or the two-way fit version? Curious to know if the 2-way fit version is as easy to mount a normal clincher/tube combo as the clincher only version is.

I got the clincher only version since I wanted a wheel that was easier to change tubes and tires.

Miller

by Miller

Calnago wrote:I haven't tried the 2-way fit in these wheels but I know in general they've been known to have some pretty tight fits.

Can't comment on the new Shamal, although they sound lovely, but I have the old version in 2-way fit. It's a very nice implementation for tubeless. No faff with tape and the supplied valves are excellent. Mounting the tyre didn't strike me as particularly difficult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com