Is this the year to wait or should I buy a new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I've been on here a few times over the last year and twice I almost bought a new bike. Once they didn't have my size available and the other time it turns out the C59 I was looking at was a fake. I am hitting a dilemma, considering that disc brakes are starting to become a regular occurence on top end bikes and that Campagnolo is rumoured to release a disc brake is it better to wait one more year before buying my dream machine as this year will be one full of changes or should I just go out and buy the bike.

A few things:

1) I'm in love with the look of the Bora wheels I know they are expense but the look is so amazing. They aren't available in disc, any rumours if these will be available in disc when Campagnolo announces their new disc break which a few sites mentioning TdF. The other reason I am worried of not going disc is breaking in rain with a carbon wheelset.

2) I've always ridden Shimano Ultegra groupset but the look and feel of Campagnolo has me a bit bias toward their stuff. In my area I can find the SR Mechanical 80th anniversary groupset for a really good price. This said, I would hate to make an investment in a groupset at a moment when the industry is about to make a huge shift.

3) I'm very bias towards the C60 and the F8 both are available in Disc, I am leaning more toward the C60 as I really love the look and feel of the lug frame. I am a bit scared Colnago will move away from it as they move more and more of their stuff to China. I can get a deal on a 2016 Tarmac S-Work Disc with Di2 but something about the look/paint job that just doesn't do it for me.

4) I have a Cannonade Synapse Carbon 3 and I am really not a fan, I find the bike sluggish and seriously lacking in style.

Any tips to help push a reluctant buyer over the hill or recommendations to stay put one more year would be appreciated especially considering I am about to drop 10-13k on a new bike.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

No matter what you do, there is always something new coming out. Companies design their sales to tell you what you're missing. Be happy with what you got.

Good luck with your decision.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

And don't buy a road bike with discs, they are going the way of road bike suspension and other bizarre carryover "innovations" from MTBs soon.

LionelB

by LionelB

Butcher wrote:No matter what you do, there is always something new coming out. Companies design their sales to tell you what you're missing. Be happy with what you got.

Good luck with your decision.

this

maverick_1

by maverick_1

No rush, if you like the Colnago, go for it. The C60 will be around for at least another five years or more. What changes are only the year to year color scheme.
Cheers

jimborello

by jimborello

Go for the Colnago with rim brakes and Bora wheels, keep it for 5 years, and then think about discs ja. Im going to do that

nycebo

by nycebo

Marin wrote:And don't buy a road bike with discs, they are going the way of road bike suspension and other bizarre carryover "innovations" from MTBs soon.

Couldn't disagree more about road disk. Have ridden a few bikes with them now, and even added one to the stable. It is a friggin beast. Coming down out of the hills at speed is so much more confidence inspiring. I'll just ask this: Do cars have disk? Motorcycles? Mountain bikes? Issue resolved.

Now getting back on point to the OP: definitely buy a bike now (road bike or otherwise). In 5 more years, you'll get the best thing then. It's no different then phones...unless you know a particular model that is coming out that you're waiting for. Else, the biggest differentiator is YOU...and nothing is better than getting you in shape than getting that bike and TRAINING!

tinozee

by tinozee

Motorcycles, cars and mountain bikes don't ride in tight groups like road bike racing.

But back to topic I say if you have to ask, then wait! But the Colnago with lugs... it's a thing of classic beauty. If you get that with rim brakes, you will be very happy I'm sure. But if you really want disc brakes I'd wait for sure! At least until all the top frames are using thru axles on their disc frames.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

If you wait for the "next new thing" to come out you will never buy a new bike! Get something you like and enjoy it!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Colnago, SR with rim brakes and Bora's. Can't go wrong. I'm interested in discs but only if they have decent mudguard mounts otherwise discs make little sense to me.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go for the c60 with boras, and dura ace di2. but if you must have campy, eps works just as well, but it is a little bit more bulky in terms of wires.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm new to mountain bikes with discs and I have to say that I've found them frustrating. I have a Specialized Crave with XT disc brakes. They would set up a reverberation that made it sound like the frame was going to snap. New pads - no change. Centering - no change. I finally sanded the rotors down with emery cloth and that helped a lot. I sold that bike and got a Marin CXR carbon with expensive Formula brakes. They do stop incredibly well but they just make a grinding sound that is horrible. They also have a hair trigger action and little adjustment like race car brakes. Searching MTB forums I see others with all of the same issues. If this is what I have to look forward on a road bike with discs I'll gladly stay with smooth and seamless rim brakes.

I wouldn't worry about a frame going out of date. I have a 25 year old Litespeed that will still take an 11 speed group set. The only PITA with it is that it takes a 1" fork but you can even still find those.

#2 - I'd personally get 2015 Campagnolo rather that 2014. I think it's better to have the latest and most improved version of Campy.

I think you can safely buy a C60 and ride it for a lifetime if you want.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

My reason for Campy is mostly due to my infatuation with the Bora wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You can get Boras with a shimano freehub as well.

But, you should get the whole package - C60, Super Record, Boras.

With that bike you are capturing a moment in time - one of the last and best, hand-made in Italy, carbon lugged frame with a storied race history genealogy starting with the C40 - the pinnacle of mechanical shifting and some of the best matching wheels money can buy. It's an incredible package. I'm sure that bike will put a smile on your face every time you go out to the garage to look at her.

That said, the future is here. It's hard to deny the watts you save with a Madone 9, fast wheels and eTap. But you probably won't be in love with it every time you visit the garage though.
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.