Is this the year to wait or should I buy a new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

A good idea may be to gradually take out some of the spacers over a few weeks ultimately taking all the spacers out and ride that for a while and see how that works for you. It wont get you all the way to c60/f8 but you be able to make some closer comparisons. Also make sure your stem is flipped negative.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

This may be a transition year. Then again it may not. I am usually not an early adopter of new technology. I want to see it out and tested for a few years before making a decision on disc brakes on road bikes. Will they be light and aero enough? Will the Colnago, Pinarello and other disc frames go from QR to thru-axle? When will Campagnolo release their hydraulic disc brakes (and wheels) to the public? Will the pro peloton permanently adopt disc brake technology or only use it for select races or stages? Too many unanswered questions for me. For now I will keep enjoying the ride of my Dogma with Campagnolo mechanical and Bora wheels with rim brake surfaces.

My cyclocross bike is a Focus Mares CX with SRAM hydraulic disc brakes and RAT thru-axles. I am convinced of disc brake technology on MTB and CX bikes. Just not quite sold on them for road use. Maybe I'll put some road tires on my cyclocross bike and test it out someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

commendatore

by commendatore

AJS914 wrote:I'm new to mountain bikes with discs and I have to say that I've found them frustrating. I have a Specialized Crave with XT disc brakes.

If you're unhappy with the performance of XT hydro brakes you either need to fire your mechanic or stick to track bikes. They may not be the pinnacle, but I'd consider them the definition of "just works."

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

mimason wrote:A good idea may be to gradually take out some of the spacers over a few weeks ultimately taking all the spacers out and ride that for a while and see how that works for you. It wont get you all the way to c60/f8 but you be able to make some closer comparisons. Also make sure your stem is flipped negative.

I took your advice and removed all the spacers and I've done 2 rides of about 40kms over the last 2 days and I have to say its never felt better. I find the new position much more comfortable, I understand that the Synapse still has a huge 18cm head tube. I will keep riding it for at least another week and do at least 1x 100km ride and make I still feel the same. My bike looks off with the fork post going past my stem for about 1.5-2 inches but until I am 100% with the lower handlebars I won't cut it.

Thank you for the advice

AJS914

by AJS914

You could even try a negative -17 degree stem if you wanted to go lower. I agree that it would be ideal to dial in your position on the current bike before buying a new one.

tommasini

by tommasini

As many said before - manufacturers will be constantly "churning" in their attempt to get you to buy the latest. Buy what "captures" you today. I'm about to pull the trigger on another custom Tommasini VLC3 with standard rim brakes........and complete with Bora Ultra's and Super Record.

FYI - Tommasini custom for this frame model was at no extra charge. I had them shorten the headtube downward 15mm. Beautiful!

http://www.tommasini.com/eng/

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Wow the Tommasini are gorgeous looking, I've never seen these bikes before. Unfortunately they don't distribute to Canada. Curious price wise are they similar to Colnago/Pinarellos or more expensive?

tommasini

by tommasini

The top end VLC3 is in that same price range as those. Besides great rides with very nice finishing (I'm very satisfied as I'm currently riding my 9th and 10th Tommasini's) they are fully made in Italy (I believe the tubing is even sourced from Italy too). What helps them still be competitive to the more widely known Nago's or Pinna's is that custom geometry is no extra charge (as it is tube to tube build method).

nycebo

by nycebo

tommasini wrote:As many said before - manufacturers will be constantly "churning" in their attempt to get you to buy the latest. Buy what "captures" you today.

This!

One can't live their lives speculating about what is coming out on the horizon; by design, there's always something coming out. Instead, if you're ready to get a new bike now, then buy it. If you have a bike you already love and were just thinking about it because you feel technology is starting to leave you behind, then maybe wait. New Dura Di2 is on the horizon, SRAM Red eTap just came out, and road disc is absolutely not prolific (nor is the approach vis a vis QR vs thru axle).

But, in the end, don't forget...you have to pedal. Sagan on a chromoly frame and me on an e-Bike? Sagan is still going to win! :thumbup: