6700 Cassette-How many miles before you change?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Replacing the chain and large ring from my regular Rotor to a QXL Rotor and not sure if I should change my 6700 cassette too. Existing cassette has about 6,000 miles on it...... :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

It depends on how worn your chain is. A worn chain will wear out the cassette. Change the chain first. If it skips, then change the cassette also. I tend to change my chain way before it is near its wear limits (every 1200 miles +/-) so as to preserve my cassette. I know this is way more conservative than most people do. I use Campy on my road bike but this can be generally applied to Shinano/SRAM as well (which are on my cyclocross bikes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Thanks that's what I thought and I have done but wanted on an expert on here to confirm . This will be the 3rd chain as I ran my first chain longer then expected, KMC X10 SL. :thumbup:

roropopo

by roropopo

It depends on your riding stlye. People use cassette(6700) generally during 3,000mile.
If you often clean your bike, You could extend your life of cassette.
The most correct method is confirming the abrasion of cassette.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Miles is not a good way to judge. A TT guy who puts out major efforts on a few cogs will get fewer miles than a sub-12mph rider who shifts often.

My wife will probably never wear out a cassette, regardless of miles ridden!

If you've changed the chainrings and chain, and the cassette teeth aren't clearly visibly battered, let the shifting be your guide. A worn cassette on a new chain will not induce premature chain wear, the way a worn chain will impact your cogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7SWfQeqXI

EDITED TO ADD: You say you have 6,000 miles on it...... replace it. With all the new bits you're adding, treat yourself to the beauty and silence of a new system.

Derf

by Derf

Goodness graciousness. I generally get 4-5 chains out of a cassette and don't get any sort of "oh, wow" sensation when I switch out cassettes. New chain? For sure--definite improvement.

Cassettes are pretty tough! Keep things clean/lubed/aligned and they last a LONG TIME. (Excepting the uberlight ones that you look at cross-eyed and they die).

wetpaint

by wetpaint

I usually retire cassettes in the 10-12k mile range and they're not skipping at that point, just for peace of mind. I'm watchful of chains though and replace when needed.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

4 chains or 10k miles sounds about right. Shimano cassettes are made through a cold-forged process, they are tough and can perform well up to 20k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pushstart

by pushstart

Obviously this varies hugely by rider, conditions, etc. My cassettes never last more than 5-6k miles. And honestly, it doesn't matter if I change chains every 1500 miles or not. I have plenty of data doing both; I maybe get an extra 1k miles from a cassette with regular chain changes, but I will have spent the cost of a new cassette for those few additional miles.

In contrast, I have a friend that can put 12k miles on a single cassette and chain. He tolerates a lot more skipping and sloppy drivetrain performance than I would, though. Second time the chain skips, the cassette is done for me.

YMMV, literally.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

4 well kept chains worth, usually, unless issues arise.

garlet

by garlet

I changed 5000Km chain
20000km spraket

fogman

by fogman

chungmin wrote:Each time you replace the two chains.

Um......bicycles come with one chain, not two.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

RussellS

by RussellS

wetpaint wrote:I usually retire cassettes in the 10-12k mile range and they're not skipping at that point, just for peace of mind. I'm watchful of chains though and replace when needed.

Agree. 10-15-20,000 miles on the cassettes usually. Chains every 5,000 or so miles. I only use steel cassettes. Cheapest name brand I can find. Chains sometimes get a kink in them and won't run correctly so must be replaced sooner.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Wish I could get 5000 miles out of chain. I don't get half that.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

3 chains worth, if I'm not being silly.