6700 Cassette-How many miles before you change?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dez33

by Dez33

MisterMuncher wrote:3 chains worth, if I'm not being silly.

Same, every third chain I change cassette. I am meticulous about cleaning chain and could probably get a lot more life out of a cassette but hey Ultegra cassettes are cheap enough to not worry about saving $10-15 (the price of going to 4th chain instead of 3rd).

raffal

by raffal

Some people say you dont really have to change the chain frequently and I assume it totally depends on maintenance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Changing the chain frequently will make your cassette have only little wear and last long.

Read this article >

Home Wrench: When to replace your chain

Chain checkers, chain stretch and prevention

Chain wear. It’s something mentioned all too often in bicycle maintenance guides, but rarely correctly understood.
It’s a dirty job, but let’s take an in-depth look into what chain wear is, why it matters and how to prevent it from costing you money in the long run.
Read further on:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ned-46015/

rlarldhks86

by rlarldhks86

Replace the sprocket once while replacing the chain three times

cjc

by cjc

3 chain ~ 3 2/1 chain.
9000-10000km is Ideal.
old cassette is quickly spend your chain.

sawyer

by sawyer

raffal wrote:Some people say you dont really have to change the chain frequently and I assume it totally depends on maintenance.

You don't ... if you are ok with the small efficiency penalty from a stretched chain ...

There are two schools of thought on this, neither is "right"

1. Wear down chain and cassette together and replace together (as cassette will be too worn beyond a point to accept a new chain

2. Replace chain more frequently

Much more important than the choice between these approaches is to keep the chain and cassette clean

IME (1) is actually more economical if you run high end cassettes at any rate ... but you're riding with a stretched chain for most of the time and losing a few watts as a result ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

BRM

by BRM

Lol You are a joker with your Watts. :D You really think that that is an issue?

The importance is in other things, with a high frequency change of the chain you:
save your cassette
AND chainrings
AND derailleur pulley wheels
AND keep changing gears on a smooth level
AND limit the possibility of a broken chain (ever seen the damage of a broken chain?)

Buying a bunch of chains in once is the best way to go, you will get reduction in some way and or save on shipping

This especially counts for the more expensive drivetrains. Cheap drivetrains is maybe less a problem because less money is involved in replacement.
However there is more than budget only, look to the sum up here above.

Keep in mind. When you just go on with your chain, then when you need to change the chain for what ever reason, a new chain doesn't work properly on a fairly used drivetrain. So in this example the chain you need to give up but the rest of the drivetrain is fairly used but not done yet. What will you do? A new chain will not run smooth because the fit is not right.

Now we come to another known method!

The breaking in method:
Buy 3 chains with a new sprocket and use it in the following way:
use chain nr 1 for 1000 km (orwhatever) and take off the chain and preserve it
use chain nr 2 for 1000 km (orwhatever) and take off the chain and preserve it

use chain nr 3 and use it up to the almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away
Now use nr1 again till almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away
Finally take nr 2 again till almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away

Then its the time to buy 3 new chains and a new sprocket

Why this method?
A new chain on used sprockets doesn't work very smooth
A slightly used chain has no problems with a slightly used sprocket
In this method chain nr 1 and nr2 are prestretched and will not cause smooth problems.

Recommended is the High frequency change method.
A good alternative is the Breaking in method.
All other methods are unintelligent and has too many possible problems and should be avoid.

sawyer

by sawyer

BRM wrote:Lol You are a joker with your Watts. :D You really think that that is an issue?

The importance is in other things, with a high frequency change of the chain you:
save your cassette
AND chainrings
AND derailleur pulley wheels
AND keep changing gears on a smooth level
AND limit the possibility of a broken chain (ever seen the damage of a broken chain?)

Buying a bunch of chains in once is the best way to go, you will get reduction in some way and or save on shipping

This especially counts for the more expensive drivetrains. Cheap drivetrains is maybe less a problem because less money is involved in replacement.
However there is more than budget only, look to the sum up here above.

Keep in mind. When you just go on with your chain, then when you need to change the chain for what ever reason, a new chain doesn't work properly on a fairly used drivetrain. So in this example the chain you need to give up but the rest of the drivetrain is fairly used but not done yet. What will you do? A new chain will not run smooth because the fit is not right.

Now we come to another known method!

The breaking in method:
Buy 3 chains with a new sprocket and use it in the following way:
use chain nr 1 for 1000 km (orwhatever) and take off the chain and preserve it
use chain nr 2 for 1000 km (orwhatever) and take off the chain and preserve it

use chain nr 3 and use it up to the almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away
Now use nr1 again till almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away
Finally take nr 2 again till almost max wearlevel, take it off, throw away

Then its the time to buy 3 new chains and a new sprocket

Why this method?
A new chain on used sprockets doesn't work very smooth
A slightly used chain has no problems with a slightly used sprocket
In this method chain nr 1 and nr2 are prestretched and will not cause smooth problems.

Recommended is the High frequency change method.
A good alternative is the Breaking in method.
All other methods are unintelligent and has too many possible problems and should be avoid.

Friction Facts, among others, found that stretched chains result in some loss of power

No, it isn't a joke.

Is it huge? No. But it's there.

A well maintained drivetrain with a chain and cassette run together I can assure you can last tens of thousands of KM without any of your slipping

Slipping occurs primarily when a new chain is introduced to a worn cassette

Rick

by Rick

This is another previously discussed topic.

My take: if you change your chain regularly, your cassettes will last indefinitely. I check for chain stretch and make sure I have a replacement on hand at .5% and change it out when it hits .75%
That is probably about every 4000 miles ? I have gradually gravitated to all Shimano chains, usually ultegra.

I have cassettes that are probably a decade old. I don't even know how many miles they have and change them (and chainrings) only if I start to notice they are not meshing well with a new chain. I do change them, it just takes so long that I don't have any idea how many miles they have seen. Complicated also by the fact that I have numerous wheels and cassettes that I switch off.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

if you decide to keep on riding with a worn chain and worn cassette you also have to take account worn chainrings (which could be very expensive to replace)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here's a stupid question. I have a Park chain wear measuring tool. When new the Dura Ace 11-speed chain measures between 0.25-0.50%. Why wouldn't the chain measure 0% when new? I have a feeling that even a new chain is a bit elongated so help facilitate better shifting. As such it doesn't take long before the chain reaches 0.75% elogation and due for a replacement. And even if you use a new chain on a new cassette and chainring, the chain is already too long for the new cassette/chainring.

sawyer

by sawyer

ChiZ01 wrote:if you decide to keep on riding with a worn chain and worn cassette you also have to take account worn chainrings (which could be very expensive to replace)

For me a non-issue. More generally again it's primarily a maintenance / riding conditions/ style issue ... I've only ever replaced one set of UT chainrings and that was after about 60,000km ...

pushstart

by pushstart

Rick wrote:My take: if you change your chain regularly, your cassettes will last indefinitely. I check for chain stretch and make sure I have a replacement on hand at .5% and change it out when it hits .75%
That is probably about every 4000 miles ?.

I think this just illustrates that how long a chain lasts is highly dependent on riding style, conditions, etc. I used to change my chains every 0.5-0.7mm of stretch; which was every 1200 miles for me. My 4th chain would be skipping on the cassette before it was stretched, so at around 5000 miles for the cassette. Now I just run a single chain with the cassette until it starts skipping (around 4000-5000 miles) and don't have to buy 3-4 other chains in the interim.

So people should do what works for them. This is a pretty useless thread :)

5DII

by 5DII

Do you guys throw out old cassettes and chains into the garbage, or recycle them somehow?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

We have metal recycling where I live (drop-off depot).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com