Hard to Find Tube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'm looking for a presta tube with a non-removable valve core and a really short valve, sub 35mm, but shorter is better. I'd like it to be of the lightweight variety with wall thickness around .7mm. The shortest non-removable core valve I've found is 40mm.

Marin

by Marin

Why non-removeable?

You could use a removeable one and shorten the stem :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

With my 50 & 38mm rims I'm currently using 32mm Q-Tubes Superlights for the hidden valve look (tape over the hole in back, barely pokes out in front) but their removable cores with wrench flats require a lot of teflon tape to seal up the extension and after a few uses it has to be replaced. A non-removable core will seal better and not have to be re-taped as often but the shortest I'm finding is 40mm which won't hide in the 38mm rim and might even poke out of the 50mm. Something in the 25mm range would be awesome. I figured I can't be the only person running short, hidden valves in aero clincher rims.

Marin

by Marin

I think you're the only one - never seen anyone doing this :D

So you have to screw on an extension everytime you pump? Or do you have a pump that fits in there?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Screw on a Zipp extension every time I pump. Isn't that what people with deep aero tubulars do? How can I be the only one with clinchers who does it? After carefully selecting the lightest, most aero rims everyone is content to have a long, heavy brass valve sticking way out of them?

mimason

by mimason

Are these the same tubes you bring with you if you get a flat? I really can't see the logic to doing this. I bring 80mm tubes normally or 60s with extenders with me for me or if friends may need a bailout.
Last edited by mimason on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimason

by mimason

Lelandjt wrote:Screw on a Zipp extension every time I pump. Isn't that what people with deep aero tubulars do? How can I be the only one with clinchers who does it? After carefully selecting the lightest, most aero rims everyone is content to have a long, heavy brass valve sticking way out of them?

No one I know does this and if you ride deep wheels you either buy 80mm tubes or Teflon shorter valve tubes with extenders and leave them on. FWIW I can use 60mm tubes on 50mm wheels but any taller and 80s are required(or extenders). To reduce clicking you skewer tape over the valve stem to the rim or wrap the valve extender a bit with tape or something to keep from hitting the rim hole.

You are making this way too hard on yourself. Even light bikes need to be ridden.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I carry a 60mm valve tube as my spare so there's no risk of extender leakage during a roadside CO2 flat repair. It's really not hard or a significant hassle to screw an extender on at home when I pump up the tires but it's annoying that the tape has to be replaced every week or so. That's where the non-removable cores would come in, hence my search for them and starting this thread.

mimason

by mimason

Michelin makes some 36mm latex tubes.

Marin

by Marin

I use short valves and aluminum extenders on my 50mm wheels, lighter than normal length brass valves.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Lelandjt wrote:With my 50 & 38mm rims I'm currently using 32mm Q-Tubes Superlights for the hidden valve look (tape over the hole in back, barely pokes out in front) .... I figured I can't be the only person running short, hidden valves in aero clincher rims.

People aren't running very short valves in clincher rims for a very good reason.

When you puncture and the inner tube deflates the valve stem can fall through the rim hole when on the 'upward stroke'. On the 'downward stroke' and as the base of the valve stem hits the ground when the wheel rotates it can then be forced upward, and if it doesn't find the rim hole again it will smash through your rim and put it beyond use. This doesn't happen with tubular rims because the tub is glued to the rim.

And anyway, short valves are only workable when using a pump chuck that threads on. Lezyne do screw-fit chucks. What you are doing to inflate your tyres is bonkers.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Lelandjt wrote:Screw on a Zipp extension every time I pump. Isn't that what people with deep aero tubulars do? How can I be the only one with clinchers who does it? After carefully selecting the lightest, most aero rims everyone is content to have a long, heavy brass valve sticking way out of them?

You are not the only one :-) One of the guys I ride with does the same. Much much much cleaner look. I tried doing the same but with removable cores on tubulars. The aluminum extender ended up unscrewing the core after a few dozen rides :-(

If you have clinchers and have the right length valve with non-removable core, go with it. Looks awesome...

Marin

by Marin

After that is solved, I would work on somehow getting rid of those nasty-looking wires that stick out of your rim! ;)

Hehe, no, go ahead, this place need more crazyness again!

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Personally I use removable valve core tubes and extenders. However I carry a long coreless extender with me just in case.

Last fall I did the local MEC Imperial Century, flatted, pinched my spare tube while mounting it, pinched both repaired tubes beyond repair and the support vehicle only carried tubes with non removable cores. It's the first and only time I've ever got a ride in the sag wagon. My rims are very tight tubeless ready rims. The extender is alloy and weighs so little compared to the weight of the shame from riding in the sag wagon.

For the record I think the OP is weird. He's also risking ruining his expensive rims. I've seen pictures of the damage short valve stems can cause to carbon rims... It's not pretty and is it not covered by warranty.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

2old4this

by 2old4this

Marin wrote:After that is solved, I would work on somehow getting rid of those nasty-looking wires that stick out of your rim! ;)

Hehe, no, go ahead, this place need more crazyness again!

Now you're gonna tell me you've never tried taking out some of the spokes from your old-school wheels with gazillion spoke counts (coming up with a stable pattern was tough, I'll tell ya.) :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com