Venge Vias disc, first photos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

These mystery teaser photos are awesome. Definitely the new trend in buzz creation. Showing just enough to get people talking.
How many shots (or photoshop edits) do you think it took to get all that lined up right for the photo... no rotor actually visible, the big S on the kit nicely displayed. Brilliant. Cobbles on the side for effect, I always ride no hands in the cobbles taking photos.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Slack

by Slack

I don't really mind discs on a road bike now, I have three without and two with discs brakes. They all work well enough and both have their advantages. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the UCI mandated 160mm rotor size. I would have preferred 140, I've been using 140 for two years and haven't had a problem. That's simply because I think the 140 rotors look nicer on a road bike as they're small enough to not stand out too much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I agree with Calnago. Excellent marketing strategy by Specialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I wasn't aware the UCI mandated 160mm rotors over 140. So they're going to be even more ugly than I thought. Ugh.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Sacke wrote:Definitely disc.

If you up the contrast, you can see that the Roval decals on the wheels go all the way up to the edge of the rim, which I doubt would be the case with rim brakes (hydraulic or otherwise)

Good eye!

Exar

by Exar

Sooooo, a disc equipped Vias for use during Paris-Roubaix? Those cobbles look a lot meaner than the RvV-cobbles.
Chains to the right!

jeffy

by jeffy

Krackor wrote:
jeffy wrote:win(d) tunnel saying disc brakes have only ~25% of the drag of shoe covers.

Do you have a link to this data?

Not going to pretend that this is the most comprehensive study, but at least provides *some* insight

The Win Tunnel: Which Shoes Should You Choose?
covers ~38secs over 40km
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtHdsNxCkjk

The Win Tunnel: Disc vs Rim Brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQuSnKkS-I
disc ~ 8 secs over 40km

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

8 seconds! Huge! Or... Maybe now that we're throwing discs on... Not so much. :)

fogman

by fogman

I would have thought a much bigger difference than 8 seconds/40 km (in a cross wind). Although I doubt disc brakes will make their way onto TT bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Krackor

by Krackor

jeffy wrote:Not going to pretend that this is the most comprehensive study, but at least provides *some* insight

The Win Tunnel: Which Shoes Should You Choose?
covers ~38secs over 40km
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtHdsNxCkjk

The Win Tunnel: Disc vs Rim Brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQuSnKkS-I
disc ~ 8 secs over 40km

Thanks, that's way better than nothing!

I'd love to see a redone test between rim Venge and disc Venge. They went to so much trouble to hide the front brake from the wind on the rim Venge. Surely comparing a standard disc setup to an aero-optimized rim setup would show a bigger difference. I'm also anxious to see if Specialized figured out some aero optimization for the disc brake, and if so whether that means cooling problems for the rotor.

It would even be nice to see a comparison to a rim brake like the Tririg Omega or EE Brake that doesn't put the cable in the wind to the side of the bike.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

It has to be very difficult to take such a well framed photo while riding

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

And still no rotor sighting... Those guys at Specialized... Such teasers.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Better view no rimbrakes

DMF

by DMF

Just a sincere question for those in the know. I've wondered for a long time now... Just exactly how reliable/accurate is the Specialized Win Tunnel, by modern wind tunnel standards? Comparing to the larger, perhaps more advanced wind tunnels in the automotive industry that other bike manufacturers rent time in?

I've always had this haunting feeling that the Win Tunnel sort of shows,whatever Specialized wants it to show... But I have absolutely nothing that backs that up, I just carry around that feeling...

Anyone with some insight, know-how, white papers or otherwise? Is this thing really trustworthy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

can anyone work out whether the front wheel has crossing spokes? I can't, but only took cursory glance.