Venge Vias disc, first photos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

isn't it non structural fairings that are forbidden?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Call it a rain cover like the Madone :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Brakes are allowed to have non-structural fairings, but the fairing + tube(s) have to still comply to the 3:1 and 8cm box rules, so it will be interesting to see what trickery can go on down there while still complying to the UCI's rules.

jeffy

by jeffy

so that's everyone decided;

the soon-to-be-revealed Venge Vias Disc will have aero fairings to shield the rotors from the wind!........ or we will all be very disappointed!
Last edited by jeffy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's getting uglier by the minute... can't wait to see it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Haha, oh boy.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Looking forward to the incoming loss of shit in either this thread or the reveal thread.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

tommasini

by tommasini

BeeSeeBee wrote:
DMF wrote:Just a sincere question for those in the know. I've wondered for a long time now... Just exactly how reliable/accurate is the Specialized Win Tunnel, by modern wind tunnel standards? Comparing to the larger, perhaps more advanced wind tunnels in the automotive industry that other bike manufacturers rent time in?

I've always had this haunting feeling that the Win Tunnel sort of shows,whatever Specialized wants it to show... But I have absolutely nothing that backs that up, I just carry around that feeling...

Anyone with some insight, know-how, white papers or otherwise? Is this thing really trustworthy?

While not a technical paper, Tom Anhalt has pretty extensively audited the tunnel through some of his own testing with wheels/tires. The results seem pretty consistent and exactly what you'd expect the drag charts to look like.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

I'd be more concerned with test protocol skewing the data rather than the tunnel being inconsistent. Take the disc vs. rim brake test they did, the cabling introduces a big :?: as to its effect on the data, but it's for the Win Tunnel series, so I guess we can't be too picky :noidea: . I hope we'll get better data if they announce a disc Vias, a more apples to apples comparison.

Only grasping at small things but the picture on the left shows gear cables cut like a newbie mechanic does for the average fat customer who has no idea where they will adjust their stem to (probably UP later). While the right picture..........has no gear cables? So again some deceiving small details not addressed appropriately?................well yes "appropriate" if in the marketing sense of hoopla!!!!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Hilarious if this turns out to be a Vias track bike.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

tommasini wrote:Only grasping at small things but the picture on the left shows gear cables cut like a newbie mechanic does for the average fat customer who has no idea where they will adjust their stem to (probably UP later). While the right picture..........has no gear cables? So again some deceiving small details not addressed appropriately?................well yes "appropriate" if in the marketing sense of hoopla!!!!

It was Di2 vs Mechanical. Felt put Di2 vs Mechanical at a 7W advantage for electronic (mind you they route their mechanical to the downtube, others go in behind the stem which is probably a bit more aero). So it's one of those things that is a bit frustrating, because then this gets passed around as gospel. I'd rather have data done right or not at all :evil:

glam2deaf wrote:Looking forward to the incoming loss of shit in either this thread or the reveal thread.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

If they want to play the hype game, they have to deal with the unrealistic expectations we set :D

Calling it now, regenerative disc brakes that are also able to generate a modest 5W through induction loop superconductor (yeah, they figured out room temperature superconduction ) thingy, and other sciencey bits. Hype train leaving the station, choo choo! :lol:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Looks like a spectacular design failure by the Big S.
The Vias is already a heavy bike compared to a Cervelo S5, Canyon Aeroad or Trek Madone 9
Add discs and it will be as heavy as a modern Ti or steel bike.
Discs will also undo the aero advantage so you are now riding a heavy aero bike that isn't really aero.
Makes no sense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

jeffy

by jeffy

Ozrider wrote:Discs will also undo the aero advantage so you are now riding a heavy aero bike that isn't really aero.
Makes no sense at all.

Downhill?

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Ok, I'm throwing in my 2 cents on the hype train; no rim brakes, no disc brakes ... they've taken inspiration from motor cheating and put electromagnetic braking on the bike. It'll slow you down pretty well from 50mph to about 15mph, then you have to drag your feet.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I'm expecting a drogue chute or anchor, anything less and will be grossly disappointed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Oh, air brakes. They took the idea of the Madone's brake flaps literally and all vertical surfaces are now flaps that will stick out upon braking, just like when a jet lands. Again, you'll still have to drag your feet to come to a full and complete stop.

Ok, I'll stop trolling.