Venge Vias disc, first photos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

noBlakes wrote:Looks like discs. That, or hydro rim brakes in the fork and chainstays

no brake track on Rovals

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

SLCBrandon wrote:I've welcomed you to private message me.

Can't pm you forum won't allow. Need more post. I will as soon as I can. Talk soon

I am surprised that disc brakes are on the Vias. Given the aero penalties of then. Maybe they hide them better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

han1337 wrote:There is no rotor.

Both pics seems.........too coincidentalt about what they leave out......

In the instagram pic.......Looking at the front hub and what I can see of the left side spokes coming from it (obviously not everything), my eye suggests that there is not a disk...so perhaps as some have suggested a hydro rim brake (internal to the fork and chainstays)......which would fit into the scheme of a VERY aero bike with no aero compromises (e.g. disk brakes).

But then seeing the receipt for delivery of a Venge (but doesn't say Venge Vias) disc bike (seemingly 2017 ?)....... :noidea:

Beverly

by Beverly

Maybe it's got drum brakes :lol:

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Awesome! They found a way to make it even heavier. \o/

Swannie

by Swannie

Beverly wrote:Maybe it's got drum brakes :lol:

Since the brakes sucked big time, they just removed the brakes... it's even faster now!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hydraulic rims brakes would make way more sense to me than discs. I don't see how they could possibly, with a straight face, start throwing discs on their most aero road offering. After all, didn't they coin the phrase "#AeroIsEverything"? Not if they throw discs on it it isn't. Not that they couldn't do it, but they'd sure have some 'splainin to do. Kind of like SRAM's old marketing campaign when they had the "mechanical advantage". Will be interesting to watch how Specialized recovers from the debacle known as vias and spins the resulting "new and improved".
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Drypht

by Drypht

I can definitely see them bringing out a disc model soon since the peloton is probably going to transition entirely in the coming years. Getting ahead of the game in terms of reducing the aero impact of disc brakes would make sense.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm still not of the mind that discs are going to stick, at least not in the ranks of the pro peleton. #DiscsArentEverything
:)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jeffy

by jeffy

their argument will be that the small aero penalty is offset by increased descending ability.

win(d) tunnel saying disc brakes have only ~25% of the drag of shoe covers.
Very few here seem to be losing there shit over people not using aero shoe covers (which have no performance benefit)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

jeffy wrote:their argument will be that the small aero penalty is offset by increased descending ability.
Ha, yes, but "offsets" don't count in the world of marginal gains. They'll have a real head scratcher on their hands in the marketing meeting if they go that route.

Krackor

by Krackor

jeffy wrote:win(d) tunnel saying disc brakes have only ~25% of the drag of shoe covers.

Do you have a link to this data?

Sacke

by Sacke

Definitely disc.

If you up the contrast, you can see that the Roval decals on the wheels go all the way up to the edge of the rim, which I doubt would be the case with rim brakes (hydraulic or otherwise)

Slack

by Slack

Here's another photo. You can see a DT Specialized RWS skewer poking out of the left hand drop out. So it's discs not rim brakes as there'd be no need for a bolt through axle on a rim brake operated bike.
Attachments
Disc.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com