Venge Vias disc, first photos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I´m almost sure that we won´t see the Vias on cobbles during next few weekends. Those photos having cobbled road on backround is just a big joke. It will be Tarmac with 30mm tyres.
OK, if there will be couple Viases, they will be changed very quicly, just like Sky changed their Dogmas with "rear suspension" during last years P-R.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Epic-o

by Epic-o

DMF wrote:Just a sincere question for those in the know. I've wondered for a long time now... Just exactly how reliable/accurate is the Specialized Win Tunnel, by modern wind tunnel standards? Comparing to the larger, perhaps more advanced wind tunnels in the automotive industry that other bike manufacturers rent time in?

I've always had this haunting feeling that the Win Tunnel sort of shows,whatever Specialized wants it to show... But I have absolutely nothing that backs that up, I just carry around that feeling...

Anyone with some insight, know-how, white papers or otherwise? Is this thing really trustworthy?

I haven't found anything. As almost always in the bike industry the lack of data is deceiving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

srshaw

by srshaw

spud wrote:can anyone work out whether the front wheel has crossing spokes? I can't, but only took cursory glance.

Excellent call.

deek

by deek

I wouldn't be surprised if the photos were staged and he wasn't actually riding. You would have to get very, very lucky to frame the photos like that on cobbles while riding no handed.

Definitely generating some good buzz, though.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

deek wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the photos were staged and he wasn't actually riding. You would have to get very, very lucky to frame the photos like that on cobbles while riding no handed.

I agree. Given there is no motion blur of the spokes, I think it's staged.

srshaw wrote:
spud wrote:can anyone work out whether the front wheel has crossing spokes? I can't, but only took cursory glance.

Excellent call.

It appears to be 24h 2x on the left and radial on the right.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

deek wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the photos were staged and he wasn't actually riding. You would have to get very, very lucky to frame the photos like that on cobbles while riding no handed.

Definitely generating some good buzz, though.

Ya think? :lol:
There's so much buzz around here I need a beekeeper's suit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I was thinking that for a bike that nobody cares about, an awful lot of people seem to care.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

nigel379

by nigel379

As for the wheels. The disc version of their new Roval 64 wheels (f wheel is 24h 2x disc, radial non-disc) were released with the rim brake VIAS. If that didn't make it obvious a disc version was coming... :roll: Rumor is the VIAS was actually designed around discs originally but UCI dragged its feet on legalization so Spec held off on its the release. I fully expect it to be as fast if not faster than the rim brake version. Look for more aero disc bikes with impressive windtunnel results to be released this year and next.

jeffy

by jeffy

it would also explain why the original brakes were a little meh

jeffy

by jeffy

just imagine that they are not hiding the rotors. they are hiding the farings that protect the rotor from the wind.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

DMF wrote:Just a sincere question for those in the know. I've wondered for a long time now... Just exactly how reliable/accurate is the Specialized Win Tunnel, by modern wind tunnel standards? Comparing to the larger, perhaps more advanced wind tunnels in the automotive industry that other bike manufacturers rent time in?

I've always had this haunting feeling that the Win Tunnel sort of shows,whatever Specialized wants it to show... But I have absolutely nothing that backs that up, I just carry around that feeling...

Anyone with some insight, know-how, white papers or otherwise? Is this thing really trustworthy?

While not a technical paper, Tom Anhalt has pretty extensively audited the tunnel through some of his own testing with wheels/tires. The results seem pretty consistent and exactly what you'd expect the drag charts to look like.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

I'd be more concerned with test protocol skewing the data rather than the tunnel being inconsistent. Take the disc vs. rim brake test they did, the cabling introduces a big :?: as to its effect on the data, but it's for the Win Tunnel series, so I guess we can't be too picky :noidea: . I hope we'll get better data if they announce a disc Vias, a more apples to apples comparison.

RickyKong

by RickyKong

Where is the hydraulic brake lines? :shock:

nigel379

by nigel379

jeffy wrote:just imagine that they are not hiding the rotors. they are hiding the farings that protect the rotor from the wind.

I think you've heard similar things, my friend. Soon we will learn the accuracy of the rumors.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Would be nice to see new (third party) wind tunnel tests if this eventually comes out.
Whatever the result, I would never purchase this.
Still defeats the purpose and it only makes a weird-looking bike even more weird-looking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

nigel379 wrote:
jeffy wrote:just imagine that they are not hiding the rotors. they are hiding the farings that protect the rotor from the wind.

I think you've heard similar things, my friend. Soon we will learn the accuracy of the rumors.

I'm intrigued to know how they're going to put a legal fairing over the rotors.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC