Out from light holder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bely

by Bely

Need help as I run Pro stealth Evo integrated bars attaching lights to the bar is a bit of a pain and was wondering beside the mount that's sold for the bar. Are there any other "lightweight" mounts that you have had experience with?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

fh8425

by fh8425

I am using exposure lighting. I am able to mount the holder on the flat part of my 3T Aeronova bar ... if all else fail, you can consider those helmet mounted ones ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

lights that have a silicone band should work ok, i use these on my cinelli integrated bars

using a rubber strip between light and bar can help avoid it changing position due to vibration

the lights i use....

to see with - exposure diablo mk5, with the bar mount and a strip of rubber to stop it slipping

to be seen - lezyne zecto drive pro, works as is

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Here's what I did. Not the most elegant, but it works great. Modular design lets you mount pretty much anything you might want up there.

Modify the design to suit your mount. I built this for the same reason you mention.

Since taking these pics, I've built other mounts that fir the GoPro slide mount system. The PVC parts are also now spray-painted black.

Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg

Bely

by Bely

I use a pro stealth Evo and wanted to use a barfly spoon to attach my exposure light beneath.. Something a little more elegant... Any other suggestions although @bikeanon that's pretty cool what you did!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

Grill

by Grill

Racewaredirect make them.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

With the Barfly spoon, I'd mount a GoPro style mount to the bottom surface. Once you have a GoPro mount, you can adapt to pretty much anything else.

Like this:

Alternatively, as sungod mentioned, the silicone bands are really strong, and adaptable. Adding a simple cross-member to the Barfly would allow you to attach anything that uses bands.

Like this idea, only make something yourself, instead of adding a Garmin mount underneath.

A critical thing for any design (in my mind) is the ability to aim the light up/down. The pic directly above doesn't allow that.

Heck, you've seen my hack/slash skills... I'd just cut two holes in a piece of PVC. Slide the Barfly spoon in holes..... instant extra handlebar-like space.

Now you can mount anything that mounts to a 31.8 bar.

Like this crude drawing:
Attachments
spoon.jpg
spoon.jpg
spoon.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 4774 times

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You can just stuff a 3~4mm thick wedge between your light and the front end of the mount.

Presto ... your light is pointed downwards.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Have a look at REC Mounts out of Japan. Their website is a nightmare, but you might try scrolling through the photos on their Bookface page.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Light & Motion Urban series Light
K-Edge XL Garmin computer mount
Go Pro adapter from Light and Motion for K-Edge mount.
It pivots, it swivels, it's clean, and it works...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mimason

by mimason

Calnago, i have the same light and plan to to that with a barfly 2.0...nice and clean. Currently just wraping around the bar with the silicon strap which is ok too. All i need is to pull the trigger on the gopro mount. Nice setup...ive seen it close up and its def the way to go.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I found other bar mounts just so flimsy compared to the K-edge. I've had Barflys (break off the tabs of Garmins), and the Garmin out front mounts. But the K-edge just is so solid with the smoothest "click" in and sits perfectly steering ahead. And not above or below the stem, just in line. Only thing is that the fit of the GoPro mount is super tight, not sure if it's by design or not but it does stay put at whatever angle you like. Also need to make sure your light will fit lengthwise with the mount. I had to switch to the XL K-Edge when I got the Garmin 1000 because it would not fit on the one I had. And it would look like you might need that extra length for the light as well.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hlvd

by hlvd

Calnago wrote:Light & Motion Urban series Light
K-Edge XL Garmin computer mount
Go Pro adapter from Light and Motion for K-Edge mount.
It pivots, it swivels, it's clean, and it works...

I've the exact same mount and light. It works a treat and looks so clean and clutter free.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Weight weenie-ism has really changed over the years.

The market has really brought a lot of great products to us. There's a lot less DIY needed to get something that meets your needs.

That setup Colnagp shows looks really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

True, BikeAnon, true - "Weight weenie-ism has really changed over the years"

and Calnago's set up is super slick, I really dig it.

That said, the K-Edge mount isn't low mass and there is surely an elegant, and light-weight solution for night-lights mounted up front. Calnago's approach is a beautiful start!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.