Out from light holder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I am using a similar set up to Calnago. Fouriers out front mount with a rec mounts GoPro lezyne adapter, works a treat and keeps the bars clutter free.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've had many different makeshift setups for various things over the years. Was quite proud of some of them. But at the end of the day, none (as far as lighting goes) were as slick as this setup. You don't even see the light when you're riding, it's hidden under the computer, which I admit is almost the size of a cellphone :). Your bars are free for your hands as they should be. And I've had lighter plastic mounts. But, they're plastic and usually flimsy or off center or awkward in some way or another. The light itself is super lightweight and powerful as lights go. Urban 800. Sure beats my old Niterider from yesteryear with a battery that weighed a ton in a fake waterbottle that took up the space where your water should be with a big awkward curly cord running from it to the light. I've actually changed out parts on my C59 that added to the net weight but made the riding, fit, or handling much better. And I've taken great pride in fashioning something myself before, only to find something for sale that was a much better design than I came up with. But I just didn't know it existed. Half the battle these days is just knowing what's out there and choosing the right setup for your needs. And that's different than just throwing money at something. It does take a bit of time to research the options. The internet changes everything in that regard. And experience helps. I really don't think there's much to improve on this design. Certainly not going to start drilling out the K-Edge.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

I use the same set up as Calnago, but i remove using 3mm hex to remove the bolt. Think i might be doing it wrong as Calnago seems to remove the mount attached to the light. Either way it is a great solution! Will have to try Calnago removal method! I guess the advantage is that if i lose my bolt it is an easier replacement.

Bely

by Bely

Will the barfly spoon work with the light attAchment work using the exposure front light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

mimason

by mimason

Calnago wrote:I found other bar mounts just so flimsy compared to the K-edge. I've had Barflys (break off the tabs of Garmins), and the Garmin out front mounts. But the K-edge just is so solid with the smoothest "click" in and sits perfectly steering ahead. And not above or below the stem, just in line. Only thing is that the fit of the GoPro mount is super tight, not sure if it's by design or not but it does stay put at whatever angle you like. Also need to make sure your light will fit lengthwise with the mount. I had to switch to the XL K-Edge when I got the Garmin 1000 because it would not fit on the one I had. And it would look like you might need that extra length for the light as well.

I had(have still on my Giant) the K-edge and thought that was why my beloved Garmin 500 launched on a ride never to be found again. Hence, trying the Barfly 2.0 which I was hoping would be better at not destroying the tabs. I have the Garmin 520 now. With the Barfly 2.0 there are two mount options but the 520 only works with the one further out since the 520 requires you to push the buttons on the bottom under the flat edge top. I'll have to check the clearance underneath though as I don't want it to interfere with the di2 j-box.

Question: do you find your Urban light easy to remove and remount for charging with the go-pro mount?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Mimason... the urban 800 just "slides" out of the slot. I put "slides" in quotes because it's snug and you want to slide it out in the direction it's supposed to, as opposed to grabbing the thing and yanking on it like a lever. Same as anything that fits in a certain way. I did not like the Barfly at all, although I had the first versions and they seemed to be really tight on the tabs of the garmin. Plus, I never felt they aligned perfectly straight and that bugged me.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ