Colnago C59 vs C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I've been dreaming of buying a C60 for the last year and I was getting close when a friend of mine offered me his C59. Due to the cost of the C60 if it's new I would probably put Ultegra gears and cheap wheels to start. However my friends bike comes with Campi Chorus gears and Bora Ultra 2 clinchers.

What I am asking myself, is there a huge ride difference between the C60 vs C59 that would make it worth it to pay 3x the price and get cheaper gears/wheelset or should I buy the C59 as I know it's been ridden less then 2000 kms and is in great shape and comes fully loaded?
Attachments
C59.jpg

zulu695

by zulu695

for me it is a no brainer...c59 with better components. I have not tested either, but I really doubt the difference is worth 3x the prices with worst components.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MRM

by MRM

Go for the C59. Eventually you can upgrade the frameset in a few years (if you want to) and keep the better components for the new frame.

If you must have the latest and greatest get the C60, otherwise the C59 at 1/3 the price with better components makes much more sense.

TimW

by TimW

I have a c59 and even though I like the latest and greatest, I can't justify it to myself. The C59 is a lovely bike and that one looks sweet.

AJS914

by AJS914

Someone who has ridden both could come and tell us how different they but I'd imagine the difference to be small.

I love my C59 so much - I couldn't imagine wanting it to be a little bit stiffer. I wouldn't upgrade to a C60 for any performance reason. A killer deal on a C60 in just the right color scheme would be about the only thing that would tempt me.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I think some Colnago aficionados have said the C59 will likley go down as the best overall frame they have made. I havent owned one but I can say I have no interest in a C60 but have been patiently looking for the right C59 for a few months now.

showdown

by showdown

I've owned and raced both the C59 and C60 with identical components (as well as the CX-1 and M10) and FWIW the differences are really really minor.

The C60 does provide a bit more power transfer and stability in a full-out drag race sprint and as much as the C59 is an excellent cornering and descending bike the C60 edges it out there as well if only by a slight margin.

Technically the C60 does have advantages like the bottom bracket solution, the rear dropout change, etc. but these may or may not be of interest to you.

Suffice it to say that you can't go wrong with either of the frames. Ultimately I would ask which you plan on keeping for longer- the frame or the myriad of components. If you plan on upgrading any of the components (those Boras, the Chrous, saddle, bars stem etc...) then don't buy the C59.

You can buy a house with good bones that you love and be happy spending years slowly perfecting it until it's exactly what you want. Conversely, no matter how much you tweak a house you don't love it will never be perfect. (I'm currently trying to buy a house so everything relates back to it...)

gangbang

by gangbang

Am I blind or there is a "chineese" Boras on that C59 on picture? External red nipples and red hubs? hmm..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@gangbang: no, you are not blind, I had a closer look as the pic I'm seeing is quite small but you are absolutely right... I do believe those Boras are fake, or modified heavily. I'd want to know the story behind those.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Suspicious looking C59, fake Bora, fake stem, and it appears that the Colnago logo on the downtube is misaligned??
Get the serial number and double check with Colnago if it's indeed a genuine frame.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I thought the OP was friends with the seller and knows the history. If not, I'd certainly check out the frame too. Pull the fork and make sure those are real lugs, they are even creating the appearance of lugs in the molds of fakes now. And check for separate alloy cups in the headset as opposed to just slipfit bearings popped into a molded carbon race.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Yeah, fake Boras. Not a good start.

AJS914

by AJS914

I didn't get a good vibe from that picture at all but I didn't want to say anything since the pic was small. Comparing it to my C59, the shape of the headtube looks wrong (too narrow in the center). My understanding is that the fakes use 1 1/4" bearings. The seatpost looks wrong, the seatpost clamp doesn't appear to be Colnago, and the little indentation where the rear dropout meets the chainstay is a lot different (not deep enough). The top tube also seems to slope more than it should but maybe that is because it is a smaller size.

Is this guy really a friend or just an acquaintance?
Last edited by AJS914 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Acquaintance.