7800 chainrings with 11speed setup?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hello all,

for the last 10 years I have been using full 7800 dura-ace group, and although I'm extremely happy with its function and durability, I don't like the shift cables in front of my bar and am thinking about an upgrade to 11speed and perhaps electronic too. Since I already have a (105) stages, and also would like to keep the costs down regarding this upgrade I was thinking - depending on the group that I choose - to keep the crankset and chainrings from the 7800 for the time being. Do you think this is compatible? My current options are:

(i) current D-A mechanic. pros: up-to-date, probably the most durable/easier to find parts in the long term, weight-saving, can use my stages with the new crankset if needed.

(ii) Ultegra Di2. pros: electronic, cheaper parts, more "workhorse" group, can use my stages with the new crankset if needed cons: probably slight increase in weight, not fully rational but moving from D-A to ultegra feels somewhat less of an upgrade

(iii) Chorus mechanical. pros: most elegant imo, i always would like a campa-groupset, weight-saving but only slight, cons: would need a new freehub-body, would have to stick to my current crankset (if possible) for now, and the mix is not that "elegant"

(iv) e-Tap upgrade set. pros: In my opinion the coolest/most advanced groupset right now, only brake cables, weight-saving but only slight cons: would have to stick to my current crankset (if possible) for now, perhaps also keep the brake-bodies (if possible?)

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks, lightweenie

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

I went to 11 speed from 7800 and kept my cranks. No issues whatsoever. I went Shimano mix with DA shifters and front derailleur, Ultegra rear. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

Oh...the 7800 brakes suck with 9000 levers. I just upgraded to EEs. Now braking rocks again.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

10 speed crank sets work just fine with 11 speed chains.