Sram Red compact compatible Stronglight ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

1st question : why Sram crank ? Spending more € on chainring will be equal to buying Campagnolo crank...

2nd : do your up shift is on 3 clicks ? that is VERY important.

set up FD cage parallel to chainring ( seems to be bit off ) , chain on small ring front , biggest cog rear. set the limit that between chain UNDER some tension and FD cage is fraction of space. Rest is .... standard (attach cable, 3 clicks, limit for big ring, cable tension ).

Crank shouldn't be a problem- FSA cranks have "shimano" chainring spacing and work with Campagnolo FD...

IF :

- cage is parallel to chainring
- limits are OK
-cable routing on FD & tension is OK and up shift is on 3 clicks

There's "no mercy" : IT MUST work.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Body

by Body

stormur wrote:1st question : why Sram crank ? Spending more € on chainring will be equal to buying Campagnolo crank...

2nd : do your up shift is on 3 clicks ? that is VERY important.

set up FD cage parallel to chainring ( seems to be bit off ) , chain on small ring front , biggest cog rear. set the limit that between chain UNDER some tension and FD cage is fraction of space. Rest is .... standard (attach cable, 3 clicks, limit for big ring, cable tension ).

Crank shouldn't be a problem- FSA cranks have "shimano" chainring spacing and work with Campagnolo FD...

IF :

- cage is parallel to chainring
- limits are OK
-cable routing on FD & tension is OK and up shift is on 3 clicks

There's "no mercy" : IT MUST work.

Yes you are right, the FD has to have 3 clicks and I used the cable adjuster to get more tension but with 50-39 I got more shift problems than with 4 clicks.
The price was more interesting to buy Sram than Campi.

The cycling webshop will send me a Sram 38 what I may try out this week. Hopefully this will work.

Btw, a 10 speed FD has 3 clicks and 11 speed FD 4 clicks. I dont understand why Campi did this because it gives more work to adjust the cable tension.
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

stormur

by stormur

Nope. 11 spd has 3 clicks as well.

price not always make quality ( cheaper not always is better ;) ) ... . On ebay you can find UT cranks for less than 200€ ( campa or fulcrum ) in almost new condition. or check Salden / Hollandbikeshop ; often both have nice pricing for cranks... and are local.

If you want 3rd party chinrings working excellent with Campagnolo, try MICHE Super11 . Officialy it's for campa cranks, unoficially it works with any 5 arm, 110bcd cranks. I rode it on Rotor 3d24 . Extremely nice shifting : fast, agressive and accurate.

Rings are quiet cheap ( below 100€ for set ) - it's a plus.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)