Campagnolo Potenza

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

gravity wrote:USD1,000 / EUR 850 and marketed as Ultegra's level? Not sure how much is Ultegra going in Europe or the US but that price point isn't exactly Ultegra level.

I have Chorus on my bike as I like the timeless aesthetic of the brand but IMHO it is no where near DA quality.

Chorus is not on the level of DA anyway.
From the beginning of time, it's placed between Ultegra and DA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MRM

by MRM

stormur wrote:@ mimason

And now you see difference : you have need to "defend" and give "reasons" , I don't - THAT is the difference between the two ;)

I don't have any reason and won't ( not asked for ) explain to you, nor anyone else reason of my choices. I don't need to defend it as well. I don't need to make same choices as others. My choices doesn't have to be "reasonable". Their mine. And I won't try to convince you nor others that my choices are better than yours. Do not have that kind of need .

You don't understand .... and leave it that way. It's far more convinient for you.

Language comprehension. You have none. His entire post was tongue in cheek (= fun). Can be hard to understand sitting on a high horse.

mimason

by mimason

@stormur

I have no idea what you are talking about so here's a clip from one of my favorite movies Cool Hand Luke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

fogman wrote:The BikeRadar article also previews the new wider Shamal Ultra C17 wheels. Same width as the 2015 Bora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS is the only new Campagnolo announcement that interests me. It's about time. It will make the shamal the best clincher on the market.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

BRM wrote:
gravity wrote:USD1,000 / EUR 850 and marketed as Ultegra's level? Not sure how much is Ultegra going in Europe or the US but that price point isn't exactly Ultegra level.

I have Chorus on my bike as I like the timeless aesthetic of the brand but IMHO it is no where near DA quality.

Chorus is not on the level of DA anyway.
From the beginning of time, it's placed between Ultegra and DA.

As a long time chorus/record/sr user, I would agree with that.

thp

by thp

Yet another group to slot in. Too many groups, unclear differentiation. Shimano makes it easy, good, better best. campy? okay, decent, good, better, baller.

stormur

by stormur

mimason wrote:@stormur

I have no idea what you are talking about so here's a clip from one of my favorite movies Cool Hand Luke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

try again ! if soemthing seems to be difficult for you, it doesn't mean it is for all the rest . Not at all :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mimason

by mimason

@ stormur

The issue is you misunderstood the whole thing and it is now ridiculous. IT WAS A JOKE! Man, you are a piece of work. :unbelievable: :beerchug:

carlcurry

by carlcurry

It seems this thread derailed into a Shimano/Campagnolo pissing contest and ignored some of the things worth noting about this group set.

* A redesign of PowerTorque to ease maintenance. That was a valid complaint of the current generation of PowerTorque. It is a complaint of mine about OverTorque - I quite like my 30mm axle OverTorque cranks, but having to buy the proprietary tool to work on them doesn't help market adoption.
* A new brake pad compound to improve performance on aluminum brake tracks. Interesting. The segment of the market that will buy the group will likely be on aluminum wheels ($). Makes sense. If it proves a winner it will probably trickle up. Or, heck, maybe my next brake pad replacements are Potenza.
* 11-32 cassette option. I'm getting older. Getting past the tough it out mentality on my 27. A lot of people will appreciate it.
* Subtly redesigned ergo hoods. The Campagnolo 11 hoods are already the most comfortable out there. A couple reviewers say this is a further improvement.
* Slightly easier movement of the shift levers (I think that's what the reviewer was referring to). Assuming you want to reach a wider market, probably the right move. I quite like the sure footed, beefy feel of my current UltraShifts, but they do require a certain kind of purposeful usage (for lack of a better way to say it)

It may not happen, but I wish Campagnolo would just set pricing to equal Ultegra in each market - at least at the OEM unit cost. Remove the cost object entirely. Let people have a true choice on their bike coming off the shop floor. People should decide for themselves what they prefer.
Right now in American bike shops it looks like the same bike over and over with a different frame manufacturers name on it. I barely bother looking in a shop any more. I just online research who will sell me the frame only for those I'm interested in so I don't end up with a cookie cutter bike.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

Liggero

by Liggero

Shimano 105 outperforms Campagnolo Super Record. Only campy is way lighter, and expensive. Even in terms of finish, 105 is better.

Campagnolo is like a ducati; beautifull, has character, race pedigree, more handcrafted feeling, whatever you want, and more, but shimano 105 works so much better already, and you guys say that this new over priced piece of Shhhhhhhh, would compente with ultegra.

Yeahh, sure. And steel is better than carbon, of course. Yeah sure.
Happy Trails !!!

TimW

by TimW

Total BS flame bait. No comparison between 105 and Record or SR.

105 is a fine groupset but really, own and ride both then comment.

Oh and FWIW, I owned a Ducati too. It was crap. I don't get the analogy.

Dez33

by Dez33

I'm surprised the comment went unchallenged for nearly 24 hours lol

TimW

by TimW

Meanwhile back on topic. Whilst the idea is fine, it's the OEMS that Campagnolo need to convince. I don't recall any mainstream brands that have Campagnolo as options except for Canyon and maybe Wilier?

Whilst this doesn't matter a jot to me, I only buy framesets..Joe public buying their first proper bike need to be able to get their hands on the kit so they are converts from day one.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

There's a number of Italian, French and German makers that offer Campag as a standard. While the American brands that are made in Asia are the most popular in the market, they are not the only choice, especially not I Europe.

Wookski

by Wookski

Who really pays attention to new low level group sets anyway? IMHO it's only about Super Record/ Dura Ace & Red. All the other groups are a compromise- this is something we should all agree on right? Debating the level of compromise is of little value to members interested in building the best bikes possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com