Campagnolo Potenza

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Ste_S wrote:Also with Potenza replacing Athena, do people think Veloce will go to 11spd ?

Don't see why it would. There is a huge legacy of 10-speed systems out there that's been accumulating for the past 16 years. And I'm one of those with a bunch so I certainly hope Campy keep Veloce going for a long time as 10-speed.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

bruno2000 wrote:The new Potenza group has it's own cassette and chain.
So no combination anymore with Chorus like the Athena group.

Not correct - all 11s in terms of the chain and cassettes interchangeable, so long as you remain within the capacities of the RD.

The Potenza cassette and chain can be used with CH, RE, SR ... just not the 11-29 with pre-2015 or 11-32 with either post- or pre-2015, if you are staying within spec.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

bigcheese wrote:So out of curiosity, I wouldn't be able to slap on a potenza 11-32 on my current Shamals with a 11sp Chorus or Athena set and expect it to work?

I do have a 29, and was told it'd struggle in the cage, but I have never have a problem, I mean I never go 50-29 or even 50-27, only times I hit them big cassettes is when I'm in the 34, but some steepy's would be nice to have the 32. And I'd definitely like an 11 now.

The issue is what has been tested and under what circumstances.

Campagnolo hanger length spec is 24-28 mm. At the "long" end, the top jockey may be far enough away with a bigger-than-29 sprocket for the system to work with the H screw wound all the way out - the question is not wholly one of chain wrap, or wholly one of max sprocket capacity in terms of what can be persuaded to work.

In cases like this, the question is about what has been tested across the range of tolerances built into the equipment manufacturer's spec, both in terms of the frame geometry and layout, manufacturing accuracy and how the materials involved change their performance with wear and tear - I'd be saying similar things whether I was commenting on Shimano or SRAM in this respect.

There are also considerations around (say) "well, it'll work fine so long as you don't use 53 x 32, 29 or 27" ... those sorts of caveats in consumer-land are very dangerous and manufacturers will generally try to avoid such statements and won't usually test comprehensively for the circumstance.

In this specific case, the problem then is that if the RD is adjusted to give a correct top-of-sprocket-tooth to top-of jockey-tooth spacing at the 32 sprocket end of the cassette, the path taken by the unmodified, stock RD may well not be close enough to the cassette by the mid range to get shifting of the accuracy / reliability that Campagnolo spec, given things like gear hanger parallel tolerance, wear and tear in the life of the system etc - and although the top jockey then gets closer to the sprockets again in the higher gears, it's still not as close as it should be, so shifting (especially to the smallest sprockets) may still be less quick / accurate than specified.

There are workarounds of course but these fall outside of Campagnolo's spec, and some frame geometries may show the effects more or less than some others - and some consumers are more or less sensitive to such things.

The aim of any manufacturer's spec is to allow the equipment to perform in a way that they can warranty - not just for materials and workmanship but also for functionality - so it's not that certain things "don't" work it's that certain things "may" work but then again, they "may not", as there are factors outside of what the manufacturer thinks it reasonable to specify, that can influence that working - and then there are questions around what users would view as acceptable performance or unacceptable performance.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Ulver

by Ulver

Is anyone running a Potenza RD with 11-32 in conjuction with Chorus / Record shifters? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work but the standard response I got from Campy customer service is that you need to use the Potenza shifters.. (Sounds like BS to me)

FitzroyBoy

by FitzroyBoy

Related question -well sort of...

I am building up an early nineties Colnago Master but would like modern Campy drivetrain in silver 'cause I want to look more period correct. I run 2015 Record on my other modern bike and it's just sublime so was thinking Potenza silver with one exception - the crankset - I just think the new four spline style won't work look so good - too chunky on a slimmer steel frame.

So I'm thinking of going with Potenza for all but the cranks and go silver Athena for cranks for that more traditional style. That'd work right - i.e. Powertorque with an Ultratorque chainset?

I've also seen some negative commentary on Powertorque generally?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

FitzroyBoy wrote:Related question -well sort of...

So I'm thinking of going with Potenza for all but the cranks and go silver Athena for cranks for that more traditional style. That'd work right - i.e. Powertorque with an Ultratorque chainset?

I've also seen some negative commentary on Powertorque generally?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Both Athena and Potenza are PT. There is no functional issue with using an Athena crankset.

The negative comments about PT are almost all about the stupid NDS crank needing a special puller to remove it.

With Potenza, Campy suddenly remembered how to do a self-extracting system which they had had in the '90's.

I thought I'd read somewhere about this migrating to newer PT cranks, but someone else will have to confirm.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM