Worn Look carbon pedals (how worn?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I use Look Blade 2 pedals for both my road and tt bike (the pair on the roadie was purchased the moment those pedals came out), and now the entry and exit is noticeably softer on the former. Turns out the back portion of the left pedal is worn on the inner side of the lip which clips into the cleat, and not a problem with the blades. Probably a unique problem of cycling in an urban city with many many traffic stops.

Any advice on determining when to change 'worn' pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

they are like 20$, just change them. On the non 'grip' cleats there are wear dot indicators, but if u are walking around in these, it's going to wear quicker.

by 11.4

This is the pedal that is worn, not the cleat? That's pretty odd. I've seen these pedals with lots of urban use with no such issue. You sure it isn't your cleat? Alternatively, did you do something to your pedal to cause this? It isn't the norm.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016031 ... 286b30.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016031 ... 20c872.jpg

Might be hard to see from the pictures but there is about 1mm difference in thickness between the left and right edge along the back; only on the left pedal as that's the one I always unclip. I ride only 120km a week and since August last year used my TT bike instead of this much more as well. Definitely not a cleats issue because I use the same pair of shoes on both bikes and on the TT bike it's snappier clipping in and out. It's virtually noiseless clipping in and out and it seems like the 16nm blades I had is useless in keeping the tension as it's the body that has worn...
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the img tags.

Devon

by Devon

I tend to replace my pedals yearly - my Look Keo Classics wear out very quickly.