Campagnolo disc brakes info and pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Just spotted this.
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/182456 ... isc-brakes
Calliper designs are not pretty in my opinion!! Hoping they develop them a little further

Devon

by Devon

Callipers look okay - the triangular shape looks quite smart within the rear angle of the frame. That said, they're a bit too chunky for my taste.

The discs are miles better/cleaner looking than the finned Shimano equivalent.

The levers though... UGH! :cry: They somehow managed to make them look worse than the SRAM hydro levers.

I guess this finally answers the question we discussed a few months back regarding the reservoir mounted within the bar with a hybrid lever...

Bad call Campy. I won't be rushing to upgrade any time soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

excremanwu

by excremanwu

radial in NDS for disc brake wheels? :shock:
2:1 lacing for disc brake wheels? :roll:

Disc brake from Campagnolo? :lol:

corky

by corky

Was hoping for more........some different tech..... Looks a little 'me too'.......

Seems to have been a long wait for very little......

The handlebar reservoir would have avoided those huge shifters.........

But we'll see.....

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So far I am entirely underwhelmed by road disc tech. It's just rebadged MTB kit with a different finish and the odd different connector.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that a bit more R&D on aero, cooling etc would be appreciated
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I echo the above statements, very unimpressed with it all. Was hoping Campagnolo would come up with something a little more than this. Almost looks rushed despite being late to the game.

Devon

by Devon

Worth bearing in mind that these are just teaser/prototype shots, but I guess the general shape/idea won't be changing for the initial release. Maybe 2017/18 will be more promising.

You can't develop aerodymanics etc. on a non-existant product. Unfortunately you need a mediocre product before you can improve it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Don't blame Campagnolo. I don't for a second think that to this day they truly "believe" that discs on high end road bikes are a good, necessary or positive evolution. Yet market pressures, not from consumer demand, but from the industry pushing it upon us is forcing them to have an offering. I can only imagine the grumblings in Vicenza... "Tullio, we are so sorry... You gave us the quick release... And we give you... (heads held low in shame)... We give you this ugliness. Haven't we already learned mtn biking was not our thing. What have we become, we're Italian for God's sake!"
The next few years will be very interesting. In the high end road race market we see two very mutually exclusive technologies evolving at the same time. Disc brakes and aero. To date they do not coexist without compromise. There has been no getting around this elephant in the development room. Aero is fast. Aero will win. And I'm not a big fan of either. But aero will win. Disc brakes compromise aero. That's a fact. They add weight. Fact. They are noisy. They add complexity to simplicity. Frames and wheels have to be redesigned to accommodate the new stresses and physical placement requirements. Drive trains need to evolve to accommodate a new chainline, or in the alternative chainstays must be lengthened which compromises the tight handling characteristics of a fine road racing bicycle we have so come to appreciate. Even the profile of an added pie plate on each wheel provides more surface area for crosswinds to get a hold of and push you around during your most fun mountain descent. As do aero tube profiles on aero bikes. But, if one technology should prevail over the other, let it be aero.
Oh well, "progress" marches on. We'll see what sticks and what doesn't.
Ok... Let's see, where was I. My coffee has gone cold.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Devon

by Devon

Interesting points, but look at the Madone; with brakes integrated into the fork, and plastic flaps to aid in aero whilst turning. There is definately scope to do this with a disc caliper - and is a disc any less aero than a standard rim caliper? The Cd is definately much lower.

I think there is much to be developed with aero disc braking.

saibot

by saibot

Looks good. Good on them to get both electrical/mechanical and flat/post mount in one go. Interesting to see if it will show up in the classics.

More discs for the people!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Devon wrote:Interesting points, but look at the Madone; with brakes integrated into the fork, and plastic flaps to aid in aero whilst turning. There is definately scope to do this with a disc caliper - and is a disc any less aero than a standard rim caliper? The Cd is definately much lower.

I think there is much to be developed with aero disc braking.

Yes, discs are much less aero than standard rim calipers. They are rotating eggbeaters churning up clean air to produce dirty air.
And correct me if I'm mistaken here but the plastic flaps on the Madone are necessary to provide clearance for the brakes while turning sharply at slow speeds, as opposed to aiding aerodynamics whilst turning? I was looking closely at one the other day. I'll have a closer look. Regardless, those flaps would not open during normal riding since the turn angle has to be quite acute before that happens.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cdtf

by cdtf

Rotors look like Magura Storm SL.

Devon

by Devon

Calnago wrote:They are rotating eggbeaters churning up clean air to produce dirty air.

Valid, but much less so than the wheels they're attached to.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Trust me, I'm not advocating for aero over disc here, or vice versa... just saying that given how the aero data junkies will latch onto the minutest of differences when it comes to whether something is aero or not, and the most marginal of gains can be made to look huge on an appropriately scaled chart, that it would be hard for the marketers of aero to acknowledge the presence of discs in any meaningful way when it impacts their aero drag numbers, even by the smallest amount. That's where the two come to a discord.

Where I live we have had the wettest winter on record. I have been riding in some nasty nasty rainstorms and each time I think... "would discs help me here?". And what I've found is that on balance, the answer to me personally is "not really"... because my biggest concerns riding in that stuff on a skinny tired road bike (25mm Conti Comps) have been not about stopping, but stopping without skidding out due to lack of traction. Not modulation, not braking power. I can easily lock up in any conditions with my rim brakes if I choose to do so. And if it's dry outside, which is when I do the vast majority of my riding if possible, it's not even a contest... I choose rim brakes for the road. I've said it over and over again, but riding on the road is completely different than on the dirt. Firstly, you have big knobby fat low pressure tires on the dirt. Secondly, on pavement the surface is smooth, hard, and relatively slippery compared to soft loamy dirt. And in the pouring rain on the road, you simply have to ride more cautiously, regardless of your braking system. I thought long and hard and actually test rode disc braked bikes a couple of years ago when deciding on the purchase of dedicated foul weather rain bike. I chose rim brakes. Also, I don't really look forward to riding in nasty downpours. It's more of a scenario that I have to contend with once I'm caught in it. We have an awful lot of days that while it might not be pouring, the roads are wet from a sprinkle, or light rain. Disc brakes are simply not needed in my view.

I should add a caveat to all I write about discs in that I'm limiting my views to high end road bikes. The upper end of road cycling. Skinny tires, light weight, etc. I am not saying that discs aren't great for some people in other circumstances, it does take much less hand pressure to activate a hydraulic brake than a cable actuated rim brake. I actually put and have hydraulic rim brakes on my touring bike, which gets loaded up with gear to sometimes 95lbs. I did this probably over 15 years ago. Magura had dabbled in rim hydraulic brakes for road bikes. They came out the levers for drop bars, for about one year... HS77 I believe they were called. Very short lived, but I got a pair. And they are perfect for my touring bike as I used bar end shifters. The calipers are old magura mountain bike style but who cares on a laden touring bike. With that kind of weight the ease of braking actually was/is a nice feature. On the superlight roadbikes of today, meh.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CBJ

by CBJ

cdtf wrote:Rotors look like Magura Storm SL.

I head they were developing the dics brakes with Magura may that is a hint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com