Campagnolo disc brakes info and pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Was it not Formula?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I think it looks decent. I have tried the shimano system and it works fine but the shifters are heavy. I am hoping the Campagnolo version will be lighter.

Things change. People want this and if bike companies don't innovate (and that require money which in turn means they have to push it or die) then they go under. If you don't like don't buy it but why moan about it.

The idea they had of the resoviour in the bars was silly. It would have killed sales. Campagnolo need to sell these in volume or there money will be wasted. If they don't offer disc brakes then in 10 years they would go out of business. So that is the reality. No point in moaning about it.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fogman

by fogman

The "Campy Tech Lab" disc wheels have G3 lacing on both front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

corky

by corky

CBJ wrote:
cdtf wrote:Rotors look like Magura Storm SL.

I head they were developing the dics brakes with Magura may that is a hint.

Probably why there doesn't appear to be anything new, at least from an appearance POV.....

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I think they look, as road disk braking systems go, pretty good. However, wants and needs are two very different things. As I see it, the uptake in the pro peloton hasn't exactly been overwhelming with the exception of Roompot (who have changed over wholesale to disks, citing logistical issues). I think Calnago is dead right - aero will win out in the end. After all, it's supposed to be a cycling competition to see who can go the fastest rather than to see who can stop the fastest. I just hope the pro teams aren't told to use disks and to say they like it if they actually don't.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tabmaster wrote:... I just hope the pro teams aren't told to use disks and to say they like it if they actually don't.

That is very wishful thinking. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Calnago wrote:
tabmaster wrote:... I just hope the pro teams aren't told to use disks and to say they like it if they actually don't.

That is very wishful thinking. :)

I hate to say it but you're probably right. I'm sure it goes on all over the shop. For example, I have it on good authority that the Lampre team had to send their shorts to Bioracer to have the chamois replaced as the champion systems chamois was so poor. I'll bet that they'd deny it though. That said, team Sky who don't have a tyre sponsor ditched veloflex & bought contis instead. It's not quite comparing like with like but hopefully that shows that they do have a choice and some say to a degree.
The one thing that may scupper disk brakes in the pro peloton is the number of 'standards' (now there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one): neutral service would be impossible unless all the manufacturers clubbed together and decided on just one. I doubt that is gong to happen any time soon. Some say that instead just change the whole bike? Well, that's fine if you only plan to puncture once in a race but it's not that rare to flat more than once in 200km and a team car only has room for so many bikes on its roof rack.
I don't think that it's all a done deal that disks will replace rim brakes wholesale. Where electronic shifting has become the norm tubeless tyres haven't. The vast majority of teams are still using tubs that are glued on. If all these mtb originated technologies were so fantastic then the teams would have jumped at the chance. I know it's only halfway through March, but the uptake so far seems only to be Roompot. Time will tell I guess. Other than that, Campag look to me to have made a decent fist of producing something there were probably forced in to.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Miller

by Miller

Calnago wrote:Where I live we have had the wettest winter on record. I have been riding in some nasty nasty rainstorms and each time I think... "would discs help me here?". And what I've found is that on balance, the answer to me personally is "not really"... because my biggest concerns riding in that stuff on a skinny tired road bike (25mm Conti Comps) have been not about stopping, but stopping without skidding out due to lack of traction.

All true what you say about discs yet I built a wet weather bike with discs and I have enjoyed it greatly and find discs well suited to that usage. Agree that ultimate traction on the road surface does hover in one's mind but other than that there are practical advantages:
- less hand effort for braking and all that stuff
- A few winters back, a wet one, I got totally peed off with the sound of the brake pads grinding grit into the rim brake tracks. That's when I decided to try discs. Quiet and smooth! Love it.
- disc bike frames more easily provide clearance for wider tyres and mudguards (fenders to you guys).
Plus I went tubeless and now feel all-round much better about riding in crappy weather, other than making myself go out in it.

For a lightweight racing bike in summer weather, no such a clearcut advantage and I agree that discs add complication and detract from beauty.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mostly agree with you @Miller...

- Less hand effort. Yes, that's undeniable.
- pads grinding grit into rims. Yup, but somewhat depends on the roads you ride and how clean they are to begin with, is it mostly water, or water and sand mixed. But even if clean, there is always more grinding and stuff (rims in particular) do experience greater wear in that weather. But even so, I'm using alloy rims and really don't wear them out very often. Disk pads can wear pretty fast as well.
- Clearance issues... Yes, yes, yes... in years gone by this was always the biggest issue with nice road bikes. Trouble is, I LIKE riding nice road bikes, winter or summer. I've always strived to have full fenders on a nice road bike, but clearance has been an issue. I've cut, filed, drilled, just about everything to fit full fenders on road bikes, and my C50 was my rain bike except clearance was tight on that as well. In fact, when Colnago introduced their disc bike I looked at it closely, but without clearance for full fenders it was a complete no go for me out of the gate. So, in my searches for a nice winter ride, I've tried a cross bike, and other "winter bikes" and they are just not as enjoyable to ride, and that is in fact, why I ride... for enjoyment. But now that I have full fenders and flaps on my Emonda, it is by far the best winter bike I have ever had. It's got clearance and that's a big reason I got it. I run 25mm Contis and no fender rub, no sounds, no water hitting me from below... only the clean fresh stuff from above. But most of all... I'm riding a real road bike as opposed to a "Winter bike". It's geometry is so similar to my colnagos that I don't feel I'm even missing out on any ride quality aspects due to geometry differences. My number one priority for a wet weather winter ride is full coverage fenders and flaps. After that comes geometry, I still want the feel and handling of a nice road bike. Disc brakes don't even register with me. They are noisy too.... maybe it's just how people have them adjusted (or not), but when I ride with people with disks most of the noise seems to be coming from their brakes, not the rim brakes in the group. And it can get quite annoying. So, the point is you can get a nice road bike with clearance for fenders these days, since clearances have gotten a little better, and that's good enough for me. Discs can actually get in the way of a good fender install as well.
- ultimately, like you say... it's always an effort to force ones self to go out in the pouring rain. My bikes are for enjoyment. If the weather is truly that sucky out, I just don't go. So, for me at least... discs are just an annoyance on a road bike. And the beauty of something like the emonda, is that when the rains are gone, you can take the fenders off and have an aweomse summer weather road bike as well. And you get to use your nice road bike wheels as well, not limited to disc wheels with wider 135mm spacing. Everything is still interchangeable.

So for me, the bottom line is that on balance and considering all the scenarios I like to ride in and how I like to ride, discs just create more issues than they solve, period. And I live in a wet winter climate.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:Disc brakes are simply not needed in my view.

None of the technology on our bikes is really "needed", there are people who ride with no brakes at all (or fenders). You certainly don't "need" a Colnago or a light bike either.

Personally, I decided I wanted disc brakes after having to panic stop from 50mph a few years ago and one of my teammates had his front tire blow out from heat (alloy) causing him to crash. It seems silly to me to have your tire pressure change at the time you most need them to remian consistent (before corners, stopping, etc). I had further confirmation after a buddy would constantly beat me down our favorite mountain (dry) when he was on his disc bike but not his rim brake bike. Everyone I know who has bought discs so far has raved about them.
You talk about the certain type of bike being enjoyable for you and I agree, but I also find having great brake feel as something that adds to my enjoyment too. After riding my MTB or commuter, I find the brakes on my road bike a disappointment. I am just waiting for the right bike to be made now. I don't need disc brakes, I want them

Pros not using disc brakes is not saying much. Pros have plenty of reason to fight change, there is too much at risk for them to deviate from what they know works. They also race on closed roads where they can use the whole road without worry of cars coming at them or other cyclists who don't know how to descend, they don't need good brakes as much as consumers do.
That said, racing is marketing and the whole point is to sell you something, so it is part of the conspiracy. If the pros can't be trusted because they are being told what to ride, then you shouldn't be looking to them for your confirmation bias about anything.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Fair enough. You like 'em. Many do. I accept that. As for feel, I think I do have great brake feel, but I have ridden others rim brakes where that was not so. Setup is always important whether it's rim or disk brakes. So many variables. Just that for me, the negatives outweigh any positives.

CBJ

by CBJ

Not another dics brakes are not necessary discussion. I have soon ridden the Shimano hydros for a year and besides the added weight I can only list advantages. As for the Pros well that's really not my business but for the non pro rider like me they offer a lot of advantages including superior stopping power and modulation in rain but also in dry conditions.

If only you all could read what was said when dics made its entry in XC mountain biking it was the same but eventually looked what happened. It's going to happen in road too like it or not.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

There's only 1 thing i know for sure about disc brakes having used them on MTB and commuters for about 20years, and that is the only calipers you want are shimano or hope. Avid/Sram are just plain useless, formula and magura always seem to need adjusting/cleaning. I know that we love to have one groupset on our road bikes, but when it comes to discs at the moment, shimano are the only option imho
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

stormur

by stormur

Road like road... think Campagnolo & Cyclocross ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)