SRAM eTap vs Campag Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

I've just ordered a new frame, a 56s Colnago C60 (MHCF), and still trying to decide what groupset to go with. I've narrowed down to eTap or mechanical SR, as I can get them at approx the same price locally.

I like the idea of no cables (except for the brakes obviously), but also not sure how it will look with a SRAM Red group, obviously there are plenty around with SR and it does look good, but wireless electronic shifting also sounds great as well, and currently leaning towards eTap.

I'm finding it tough to decide, and appreciate some input from the community.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I am hooked in electronic shifting, specifically Shimano Di2, which you ruled out. And I think Shimano rim brakes are head and shoulders above Campy and Sram.

So between eTap and SR, I personally would go with eTap. eShifting is a joy and brings a smile to my face every ride. There is a classic look of Campy SR, especially on a C60, so that's certainly a fine choice.

I guess is comes down to classic beauty vs state of the art function.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clipsed

by clipsed

You'll won't bike thinking "damn i wish it looked good at the coffee shop".

you will think "damn this shifts like a dream, i love riding it"

you decide from there.

Miller

by Miller

If Campag SR EPS is ruled out on price, why not go down a level to Record or Chorus EPS? You'll miss some red logos and gain a few grams but you'll get the same shifting performance. I have Athena EPS and love it. Obviously eTap is buzzy and new and you'll get first-kid-on-the-block vibes but it's not going to perform better than EPS.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'm not a campy fan but on a C60 ^^ this.
Using Tapatalk

audiojan

by audiojan

You're not much giving up much at all to go to Campy Record EPS... I would pick that over SR mechanical (although when it comes to mechanical, nothing can match the SR...).

On a C60, Campy is almost a given...

I had the opportunity to test ride the eTap. Not at all impressed... seemed sloppy and hated the ergonomics of it. And yes, exactly the same make model (Pinarello F8) as my personal bike, so no difference except the wheels (Campy Bora 35 on my bike and Zipp FS404 on the eTap)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

moonoi

by moonoi

Thanks

Can't get Record locally here, as the importer says their is no demand for it, so only Chorus or SR.

EPS is phenomenally expensive here, whichever version, so yes it's ruled out on price, although my LBS also requested if I go electronic please no EPS as it's very hard to setup and has a high failure rate due to the high humidity locally.

I'll also add that my club mates also said something similar regarding EPS failure rates, with those that used to have it moving to Di2

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd just get mechanical. I assume you already bought a mechanical compatible frame set? The C60 has internally routed cables so the cables are well hidden already and it's easy to set up.

Can't get Record locally here, as the importer says their is no demand for it, so only Chorus or SR.

I buy all my Campy usually from the UK - Ribble - over and over they have had the best prices by far. Chorus also functions identically minus a few extra carbon bits, red logos, cult bearings, and a little weight savings. It is a huge price premium to pay for the extra SR features. Most of the weight savings as well is in the ti cassette which one could put on Chorus. A lot of folks actually put a Chorus cassette on SR to save a couple hundred dollars which then negates the weight savings.

moonoi

by moonoi

The frame I ordered can take both mechanical or electronic. I did find another LBS selling Chorus with Bora One 35 or 50 for the same price as just an SR group, only issue is that it is a tubular wheelset which isn't so great for the roads around here.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

moonoi wrote:Thanks

EPS is phenomenally expensive here, whichever version, so yes it's ruled out on price, although my LBS also requested if I go electronic please no EPS as it's very hard to setup and has a high failure rate due to the high humidity locally.

I'll also add that my club mates also said something similar regarding EPS failure rates, with those that used to have it moving to Di2

Humidity is not an issue at all with EPS. I myself live in a very humid place and in our bunch there has been more than 25 EPS bikes as far as I remember. Yet to have a problem with humidity.

moonoi

by moonoi

XCProMD wrote:
moonoi wrote:Thanks

Humidity is not an issue at all with EPS. I myself live in a very humid place and in our bunch there has been more than 25 EPS bikes as far as I remember. Yet to have a problem with humidity.

I would assume that they are then making an assumption that the failures are down to humidity. Anyway EPS is off the cards due to its prohibitive cost for me (not worth double the cost of eTap or Di2).

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I will go to SR this time.
And if I have chance, I will go to eTap version 2.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Many seems to believe eTap will be somehow malfunctionung.. anyone who experienced faulty Sram products?
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Colnago, gotta be campy. If it were anything else, I'd say eTap.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

DavidMLee wrote:Many seems to believe eTap will be somehow malfunctionung.. anyone who experienced faulty Sram products?

You dont have to look too far to find examples of Sram umbrella failings...
Force/Rival brake caliper failures when they were released.
Crappy front shifting only marginally improved by the introduction of YAW mechs
Flexy chainrings (maybe improved from gen 1)
poor shifting ( goretex cables supplied to improve it)
Numerous Rock Shox recalls/ failures (pop (off) loc popping off etc
Zipp hub failure and recall (again and again and again)

I'm sensing a pattern here :noidea:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com