SRAM eTap vs Campag Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

Frankie - B wrote:@Liggero, Please keep things civil around here. you don't have to say that someone can eat.... and still say it is great, just because of a logo.

You ask me to keep it civil and you are again with the censorship and control??? pardon me?

of course i don't have to, but i said so cause that's what i think, what's the problem? you wanna dig a bit deeper what this forum has become?
Happy Trails !!!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Because thats what admins do. Censor idiot comments. I'm sure you will be back to check this out with one of your other accounts.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Wow, I thought my question was reasonable, didn't think the thread would degrade like this.

As for which groupset my head says SR Mechanical, my heart says eTap (because I like the idea of no cables and nice clean lines).

Still no closer to deciding, but still got a month before the frameset arrives.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Liggero wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:@Liggero, Please keep things civil around here. you don't have to say that someone can eat.... and still say it is great, just because of a logo.

You ask me to keep it civil and you are again with the censorship and control??? pardon me?

of course i don't have to, but i said so cause that's what i think, what's the problem? you wanna dig a bit deeper what this forum has become?

Liggero, Like Nefarious86 pointed out it is one of my duties. You mention that the forum has become a less nice place, I totaly agree with you. Don't answer anger with anger, step up and show that you are better then the others and lead by example in stead of kicking and screaming.

The internet is an easy place to call names and say nasty things, show us that you can do better as you will probably not behave like this when we meet out on the streets.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

lobular

by lobular

The 'clean lines' of the no-cable Etap will be offset by the monstrous front and rear derailluers.....they are big and not pretty.....SR is definitely the way to go for that build. Upgrade to Etap in a few years when they have reduced the size of the batteries.

slimliner

by slimliner

electricity is general trend.
I wanna get sram e-tap but will buy next generation.

VTBike

by VTBike

lobular wrote:The 'clean lines' of the no-cable Etap will be offset by the monstrous front and rear derailluers.....they are big and not pretty.....SR is definitely the way to go for that build. Upgrade to Etap in a few years when they have reduced the size of the batteries.

Hahaha.. Have you seen DI2? assuming yes, of course. Cause the front derailleurs are exactly the same, and while the Shimano rear derailleur is more svelt, they are really not that far off. Except for the fact that sram has NO cables, and you don't have to put a stupid huge battery in your seatpost. Common people, stop being such luddites in your comments. If you don't like it, fine - but appreciate it for what it is - a major advancement in the technology. There is no question that shimano will go wireless now. And then everything will start evolving again.

You all sound like the people who said smart phones were stupid (not referring to lobular's post here, just the thread in general..)..

Anyway, to the OP - This is such a tough call. I'm all for the all italian bike (being italian myself). I'd wrestle with this one also. When it comes down to it, i highly doubt you would go etap and then wish you had gone SR - it's the newest tech, and shifts so well. You may however go SR and wish you went etap. If it makes sense, do an beautiful italian cockpit from deda superleggero/leggera.

AJS914

by AJS914

VTBike wrote:You all sound like the people who said smart phones were stupid (not referring to lobular's post here, just the thread in general..)..

Smart phones were a huge functionality upgrade over regular phones. It's not clear to me the many advantages that e-shifting bestows on us. It's not like when STi or Ergo came out and the guy with that technology would win the sprint over the guy with downtube shifters. That was a game changer.

I admit that when I think about the times I've struggled with cabling, I like the idea of building a bike with e-tap. This might be even more important with aero frames and integrated aero bar/stem combos. I still don't like the idea of junction boxes, seatpost batteries, or having to drill a hole in a frame in order to charge.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

In the end, I believe it's a philosophical question for you: the purity and aesthetics of an all Italian bike with beautiful Campagnolo parts, or the state of the art functionality of eTap? Do you care more about how it shifts or how it looks?

You'll find partisans of each brand (SRAM, Campy, Shimano) who voice their opinions strongly, as if it were a reflection of their own self image :)

Personally, I agree with one of the posters who said that if you go eTap, it's unlikely you'll regret going SR, but if you go SR you may wonder what you're missing with eTap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

eaglejackson wrote: Do you care more about how it shifts or how it looks?

I care equally about both and would go Campy mechanical.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Calnago wrote:

+1

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

BlackMadone wrote:
Calnago wrote:

+1

Whatever makes you happy, just don't piss on someone else. It don't make you right, just insecure.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

eaglejackson wrote:In the end, I believe it's a philosophical question for you: the purity and aesthetics of an all Italian bike with beautiful Campagnolo parts, or the state of the art functionality of eTap? Do you care more about how it shifts or how it looks?

You'll find partisans of each brand (SRAM, Campy, Shimano) who voice their opinions strongly, as if it were a reflection of their own self image :)

Personally, I agree with one of the posters who said that if you go eTap, it's unlikely you'll regret going SR, but if you go SR you may wonder what you're missing with eTap.

I've ridden eTap and its nothing special... Its slower than EPS or Di2 and the shift pattern in laughable.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

oldnslow2 wrote:
BlackMadone wrote:
Calnago wrote:

+1

Whatever makes you happy, just don't piss on someone else. It don't make you right, just insecure.

Insecure about what? I'll drop three cogs and sprint off before you get one... its laughable.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

BlackMadone wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:
BlackMadone wrote:
Calnago wrote:

+1

Insecure about what? I'll drop three cogs and sprint off before you get one... its laughable.

Wow... you're faster than a old man. chapeau

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com