stupid cassette question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

Gents,

Is mounting an 11 speed road cassette a straight forward operation on a 11 speed MTB cassette/driver body? I'm looking to build up a set of CX/gravel wheels on DT350 hubs, and am being told not to use the MTB version as the cassette is different.

This would be news to me, but none of my MTB stuff is 11 speed, so I'm in the dark.

TIA

nickcube

by nickcube

What driver body is it? If it's XD (for sram) then you'll need a new 11sp road free hub. I believe DT use the same free hubs for both road and mtb(could someone confirm?). I'll also note that mtb cassettes are a bit confusing right now. For sram, you need an xd driver body and for shimano, you can still run their 11p mountain bike cassettes on a 10sp hub, because the 40t sprocket can be moved over thanks to the angles of the spokes. Hope this helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

spud wrote:Gents,

Is mounting an 11 speed road cassette a straight forward operation on a 11 speed MTB cassette/driver body? I'm looking to build up a set of CX/gravel wheels on DT350 hubs, and am being told not to use the MTB version as the cassette is different.

This would be news to me, but none of my MTB stuff is 11 speed, so I'm in the dark.

TIA

Short answer is no. 11 speed mountain bike cassettes are designed to overhang the hub flanges, so don't need the longer freehub.

spud

by spud

Ultimobici,

just to clarify, the MTB 11sp body is shorter than Road 11sp?

If so, it sounds like those 11/10 conversion clusters might work for mounting 11s road onto a MTB hub, but only as a work-around for someone already committed to a particular equipment choice.

Thanks.

mattr

by mattr

No such thing as an MTB 11 speed freehub body (shimano) its just an 8-9-10 speed.

Might be worth looking into getting the 11 speed road disc version of the DT350 (if there is one) and using that instead. It'll have the longer road 11 speed freehub body

spud

by spud

feeling like a bit of a dumbass on this stuff. Thanks for the clarification.

Guess I'll make due with 24 spokes on a road build, instead of 28.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

spud wrote:Ultimobici,

just to clarify, the MTB 11sp body is shorter than Road 11sp?

If so, it sounds like those 11/10 conversion clusters might work for mounting 11s road onto a MTB hub, but only as a work-around for someone already committed to a particular equipment choice.

Thanks.

Mill the 1.8mm off the back of an ultegra road casette if the spokes have clearance.
Using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

spud wrote:feeling like a bit of a dumbass on this stuff.

Well at least you asked before replacing the freehub. I on the other hand, did not exhibit such foresight when I converted my single speed 29er to 1x11 with Shimano XTR M9000! :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

A dumb arse doesnt ask questions ;)
Using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

No, they sink a load of cash into it then complain when it doesn't all work perfectly. Even though it's completely incompatible and/or unsuited to the job at hand......

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

Just to recap:
MTB SRAM 11 speed requires a XD Driver free hub.
MTB Shimano 11 speed requires a 8-9-10 free hub, and the minimum 40t mtb cassette hangs over the spokes.
Road 11 speed requires a 11 speed free hub that is 2.8mm wider than the original 8-9-10 free hub. You can still run 10 speed cassettes on a 11 speed free hub with spacers.

ms6073

by ms6073

mattr wrote:No, they sink a load of cash into it then complain when it doesn't all work perfectly.

Hey now. You say that as if it is a bad thing. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com