PC8 Project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nbens

by nbens

I have a water-damaged PC8 that I want to disassemble so I can get the case plated in a one-off colour like gold or copper. If the finish is good, I will transfer that case to my other PC8.

Has anyone taken a PC8 apart? The case halves appear to be a snap fit, with no screws. I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated.

and options for plating:

http://www.precisionplating.com.au/plating-finishes/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

Copper hands down.

pantelones

by pantelones

My first thought was snap fit or adhesive gasket/foam. Before you go on to prying it, it might be worth hitting it with a hairdryer to get it really hot and trying to gently pry the plastic bottom case to see if it is adhesive.

Please update the thread when you manage to get it apart. Also, I would LOVE to see good photos of the PCB (and everything else to be honest) to show the components fitted.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol....."Gold standard".........

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ in dry climates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

micky

by micky

I saw a chinese bike painter who custom painted a PC8 but without opening the case (as far as I understood by the pictures).

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

On mine, there is a tiny gap between the metal casing and the plastic bottom around the mounting bracket area. I don't think that is just a poorly fitting bit of the case, but makes me think that is the point of entry. Slide something wide and thin down there and gently attempt to seperate the 2 to see if anything shows signs of movement would be my first attempt.

Worst case scenario you destroy it completely but then learn how to take the next one apart properly (if its possible!)

Good luck and more pictures when you have them.

Still suprised to hear about water issues, have had PC5,6,7 and 8 and they've been through all weathers. Including getting washed with wet soapy sponges and hosed down to rinse. With the 5 and 6 I always thought that was the best way to wash them to keep water out of the pins holes on the plugs.

Haven't SRM offered a replacement? Very bad PR all of this for them indeed.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Make sure you use proper paint for the surface... when I got my PC8 I pleaded with SRM USA for the neon yellow one that the Tinkoff team was using.. I was told "team issue only" when my SRM shipped , I gave them another little poke at hopes of getting one.. the reply on the phone was "you don't want it anyway, its just a painted one!" After seeing pictures over time its true.. you can see the paint chipping off and its black under the paint..and looks bad!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Micky any photos of that?
Just ride ..