3T bars - Original or not

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

If you open eBay you will see a raft of (shit pun alert) carbon copies on a bunchof products. One of them are 3t bars. I trolled the internet trying to figure how to spot these, but nothing clear comes up. There are the obvious ones, like really poor graphics, random Enve logos with everything just off etc. Now are there finer examples out there?

A friend of a friend just got this off a top end bike he bought (Canyon aeroad built with Di2 etc etc), so we are inclined to believe it is legit. What I want from you guys (and thing the interwebz would benefit from) are your thoughts. FWB's opinion, maybe someone close to 3T, maybe other models (Ergonovas, etc). Something to give people out there who are shopping some sense of "this is legit" or "this is not". Anywho, pictures:

If we can establish this as being an original, next time someone is on ebay or elsewhere in the internets they can see what is being offered and compare it something in this thread where, hopefully someone with some better access to info can share their 2 cents!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

What makes you think it's fake? Looks like a previously fitted set of bars.

nohands

by nohands

is there a serial number on it?

Grill

by Grill

Email 3T with the serial number (inside of handle) and they'll tell you.

F45

by F45

Show me good pics of the trailing edge of the aero (center) section. My knockoff bars seem to be unique in this area.

fh8425

by fh8425

Mine has serial number on the inside of the bar ends(right side) ...silver tape with black lettering ..

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Good stuff coming up. I, for one, hadn't ever noticed there was a serial number in the handlebar. Could this be a dead giveaway for fakes out there? If the handlebar you're looking at doesn't have a serial in the handlebar, it is a dud? Added a bunch more pictures, don't know if this is what people were asking for exactly:

F45

by F45

My knockoff looks sanded down on the trailing edges. Yours looks much cleaner.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

F45, when you have a moment, upload a picture of how yours looks please. Also, does yours have a serial number to it. How do the graphics on it look like? Thanks.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

One of the best tell tale sign of a fake 3T Arx Ltd stem was the missing '-' in the logo. No idea of its the same with the bars but looking at the printed information it appears to be correct and properly orientated. Poor Text has also often been a tell tale sign of a copy.

AJS914

by AJS914

DWatkinsBSB wrote:If the handlebar you're looking at doesn't have a serial in the handlebar, it is a dud?

A serial number is easily faked. I don't think you can trust that.

I think the only way to know for sure is buying parts like these from an authorized dealer.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's real.

Next.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

What's going on here?

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Flaky finish? Don't know. Will post better pictures tonight. Not familiar with how well can the internal cabling bits be. In frames you would have a round hole and a plastic stopper (I'm thinking the rear brake cable stopper plastic bit on my Canyon CF SLX). I can imagine the production challenge of layering up carbon inwards like that...

Good shout, pictures when at home later today.

Anyone with other 3T bars to throw in the mix?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I've got a brand new pair of aeronova team stealths sat at home.

They've got a very smooth matt finish, and the apertures are nothing like yours- they're properly finished off for starters..

From memory **i think** the decals are read facing you, not away from you when on the bike.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com