Tubular or Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you usually ride clinchers or tubulars?

Tubular
42%
Clincher
50%
Tubeless
7%

Total votes: 339

atakaoka

by atakaoka

tubs, tubs & tubs.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

Varies greatly depending on where you live and ride. road debris and thorns can make tubs a nightmare

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roropopo

by roropopo

Tubular...if you worry about going flat, just install hardy tire(Gatorskin) with sealant.

ak47

by ak47

PinaRene wrote:Live is to short to ride on clinchers - enjoy life, ride tubulars :wink:

True. Life is short, so ride what is best - what's magical, what pros ride, what gives you performance edge over the clinchers. Simply - ride tubulars. When I will be so old I won't be able to ride my bike again I won't regret I used clinchers and never tried what is best only because I was worried about having a puncture with a tubular :wink:

beatle

by beatle

As much as I love IRC tubeless, racing my veloflex sew ups is just sublime. Thought I had a flat on yesterdays tt, the ride was so soft.

tinozee

by tinozee

Another thing is that some tubulars are really durable! I have worn several Veloflex arenbergs tread right down (2k+ miles never getting a puncture).

beatle

by beatle

tinozee wrote:Another thing is that some tubulars are really durable! I have worn several Veloflex arenbergs tread right down (2k+ miles never getting a puncture).

Do you have any suggestions for a tire that would have a little longer life than the arenberg but not give up too much in terms of ride quality?

Thanks.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

One for Classic tubs.
Carbon clinchers seem premature to me.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

exctasy

by exctasy

tubs tubs tubs!
Corsa corsa Corsa!

chiumomo

by chiumomo

I use schwalbe pro one tubeless with sealant for training, so I don't have to carry spare tube.
Veloflex Carbon when racing of course, nothing feels like a pair of sublime tubular.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

Love my tubulars.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been riding tubular wheels for some time. Love the gluing process and ride quality of Tubular tires. I initially went Tubular because it was the only way you could get a really decent wheelset under 1100g that was stout enough for daily riding...

Clincher rims now give you the option of building a wheelset close to 1000g with ease (Extralite hubs/Reynolds Attack Clinchers/CX Rays). That being said, I'm still riding tubular wheels because I hate pinch flats and knowing that my tires are attached to my rim in the event of tube blowout.

I'm sticking to Veloflex Roubaix/Arenberg tires, but my buddy is on the new vittoria Corsa G tires and swears they're the best tires he's ridden..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Budarooski

by Budarooski

Tubulars on 404's...I'd never go back to clinchers. Lighter, smoother, and very puncture proof. I carry a bottle of Pit Stop in my shirt pocket...it's all I need.

sd5500

by sd5500

At this point I feel the pros and cons are close, and its like arguing that blue is the best color. Weight difference is barely worth mentioning. Clinchers like Turbo Cottons are super fast and smooth, especially with latex tubes.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I will be making the switch from clincher to a tubular this month when I get my 404's

I have been using Schwable One 23c with Vittoria latex tubes, which have felt great.

What is a good tub to use, light, low CRR and little protection, I have seen the Conti Comp's on Wiggle?

Thanks
Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com