Tune Mag conversion 10 to 11s advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

I have been trying to get clarification on what exactly is needed to convert Mag 170 10s to 11s.
I've heart that I would need not only freehub body and the end cup (shimano), but the new spindle as well.
In that case it is very close to the price of the new hub, making the whole conversion a bit pointless, as you can buy the new hub an sell the 10s.
Can somebody share his/her knowledge and experience on this subject?

Hub was bought in Oct 2012.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I converted a 10 speed 170 to a 11 speed with the help of Fairwheel Bikes. All I did was exchange the freehub body and end cap. I removed the prawls from the old freehub body and installed on the 11 speed version. The kit was $190. It has worked flawless since the conversion.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

mnmasotto is correct the only thing you need is the freehub body and the drive side end cap.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Cool, thanks guys.
Before I fire, can you please look at link and let me know if thsi is the right thing?

https://r2-bike.com/TUNE-Freehub-Body-S ... m-Axle-52g

ms6073

by ms6073

Yes, that is the correct kit. I ordered the same kit to convert a Mag 150 rear hub from Bike24 as it included both end caps (left end cap for converting from Campagnolo) and cost with shipping to the US was a bit less: Tune Conversion Kit to Shimano 11-spd Skyline Freehub Body
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for that, bike24 the cheapset I could find but out of stock.
One more question, freehub body comes with the pawls and springs in this kit?

ms6073

by ms6073

The one I ordered wont be delivered until the end of the week, but looking at the two e-commerce links, the R2 link shows teh body sans pawls and springs so it is hard to determine whether the replacement includes them or not. Having now done the 11-speed conversion for several rear hubs, I would be seriously surprised if the replacement freehub did not include the pawls and springs, but even so, the parts from the original freehub are interchangeable.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The freehub body is sold both with and without pawls and springs, it just depends on which version they ordered from Tune.