Are 2015 Campag Chorus shifters compatible with Athena RDs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phlip

by phlip

Because I do not like the aesthetics of the new Chorus rear derailleur and assume that the 2015 Chorus front derailleur shifts easier due to the larger arm, I would like to combine 2015 Chorus shifters with an Athena rear and 2015 Chorus front derailleur. Is that possible? Or do the (rear) shifters have different shift-cable pull ratios?

lynton

by lynton

According to Campagnolo shifters in the Chorus, Record and SR range that are marked with a A are only compatible with derailleurs with the same marking due to changes in the models.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

We have it on a high authority here that there is a difference with the pull ratio 2015 Chorus and Record RD's.

I have not yet seen anyone actually demonstrate what that difference is.

Why don't you try it and be a pioneer?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AJS914

by AJS914

phlip wrote:Because I do not like the aesthetics of the new Chorus rear derailleur and assume that the 2015 Chorus front derailleur shifts easier due to the larger arm, I would like to combine 2015 Chorus shifters with an Athena rear and 2015 Chorus front derailleur. Is that possible? Or do the (rear) shifters have different shift-cable pull ratios?

I think your options are:

Go all 2015 Chorus
Go all 2015 Athena
Or, get 2014 Chorus shifters with a 2014 Athena rear derailleur and 2014 front derailleur

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

My understanding is that Athena derailleurs did not change. That would make them compatible with pre-2015 Chorus shifters.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I looked into this before building my new bike last year and I think the answer is no.
What is wrong with the aesthetics? I have all Chorus and RD looks very nice.

stormur

by stormur

I tried. Record15 Shifters, Athena FD / RD . It doesn't work.

Personally I like aesthetics of '15 components more ( except crank ! )... But, if you like '14 try NEW '15 Athena shifters ( EPS style thumb knobs ) : if you can live without multiple upshifts.. it just works like a charm. Way better feel in comparison to '14 levers ( parallel thumb knob ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

phlip

by phlip

Thank you, Stormur. You have answered my specific question.

Have you tried the 2015 Chorus, Record, or Super Record front derailleur? If so, is it significantly better than the respective 2014 front derailleur due to its larger arm? I have to gauge whether the new front derailleur would be worth the ugly rear derailleur. I agree with you about the crank. I dislike the rear derailleur just as much. ;-)

If I go full Athena, I will definitely use the new Athena shifters with the new style thumb lever.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

I know I am biased, doing for a living what I do ... but I think the 2015 mechanical shifting overall is very sharp, nearly as good as electronic.

For competition use, it seems to me like a worthwhile incriment against the 2014 and before 11s.

Provided that the four arm chainset is used, the new CH, RE or SR FD will make a noticeable difference to the front shift when paired with the matching levers - however, it's not just about the FD, the extra rigidity of the outer chainring offered by the four arm chainset plus the revised ramping and pinning on the chainrings all together are what make the difference.

If you want "better" but not "best" shifting, then go for a full 2015 Athena group, as the crankset runs the SC13 chainrings that form the basis, in terms of tooth profiles, ramps and pins of the four-arm chairings, but they lack the very high chainrng rigidity conferred by the four-arm crankset.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

phlip

by phlip

Thank you very much for this very good description, Graeme.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com