Ultegra DI 2 Dead

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FOILOSI

by FOILOSI

My Ultgera DI 2 went completely dead on me this morning at the start of my ride. I can't think of any reason why it has failed. No lights are visible on junction box A when I press the shift levers and no signs of movement from the mechs are made.
I have tried charging it up but no charge lights are present on the charger, I have double checked all connections to all components and none are loose, I have reseated all connections with a noticeable click. I have removed the battery from the seatpost and removed the battery casing from the batteries, the batteries are measuring 3.6v individually and 7.2v combined. No voltage is present on the battery output plug.
I have by passed the bottom bracket junction box and also used different cable combinations to test whether the original cables are at fault. I suspect the small circuit board that is part of the battery assembly maybe at fault or possibly junction box a.

Does anyone know if either the internal battery assembly has a history of failing in this way?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! You work for SRAM don't you? Just kidding but if would only be fitting for rumors like this to get started just as SRAM is rolling out their new wireless stuff. Sorry about the deadness. Really hard to diagnose electrical issues like that cuz they usually either work or they don't. Very binary. Wonder if the shop has the diagnostics l equipment that you could hook it up to in order to trace the problem. It's one of the things that concerns me when working on electrical systems. How do you determine where the actual problem lies. Will be curious as to how you get it figured out. Haven't really heard of any "history" like that, just random failures here and there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Hook your junction A to a laptop and run e-tubes project. It will scan and diagnose which components it at fault. Likely the battery. Are you able to try another battery? There is a high level/shop level diagnostic tool that plugs right into each component to flash and upload latest firmware.
Odd thing is that it was working perfectly the night before.
Good luck and keep us posted.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

53x12

by 53x12

FOILOSI wrote:My Ultgera DI 2 went completely dead on me this morning at the start of my ride. I can't think of any reason why it has failed. No lights are visible on junction box A when I press the shift levers and no signs of movement from the mechs are made.
I have tried charging it up but no charge lights are present on the charger, I have double checked all connections to all components and none are loose, I have reseated all connections with a noticeable click. I have removed the battery from the seatpost and removed the battery casing from the batteries, the batteries are measuring 3.6v individually and 7.2v combined. No voltage is present on the battery output plug.
I have by passed the bottom bracket junction box and also used different cable combinations to test whether the original cables are at fault. I suspect the small circuit board that is part of the battery assembly maybe at fault or possibly junction box a.

Does anyone know if either the internal battery assembly has a history of failing in this way?

As mentioned by emorydptt, you need to connect the SM-BCR2 internal battery charger to E-tube. Then run E-tube and see what it says.

If you have a second battery, you can connect that to the system and see what happens.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The battery charger does not do diagnostics. You need the diagnostic unit to do that. Although connections were checked, this has all the symptoms of a bad connection or cable. In particular the one connecting front jb to rear jb.

glepore

by glepore

I disagree that its a cable. Mine did this. Faulty battery. Maybe the circuit inside the battery that contains the firmware. Only solution was replacement. Died mid ride, in big/small at the base of a descent. Sucked getting home.

Battery replacement immediately fixed it. No signs of failure prior.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

salesguy

by salesguy

It could easily be a wire or the battery. No way for the forum to diagnose it. Both will exhibit the exact same failure mode which you have reported.

Check connections, see what etube says, then try another battery.

Don't forget to use the little plastic tool to remove and reconnect the connectors.

kode54

by kode54

sales guy wrote:...Don't forget to use the little plastic tool to remove and reconnect the connectors.

yup. pulling out by the wire may pull the wires out internally from the plug end...making it hard to visibly see where the issue is.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

glepore

by glepore

Sounds like the op is pretty good at diagnostics-he's bypassed the bb junction, still gets no lights. Best bet is to a) see if etube sees the battery either in normal connection or connected directly to the a junction bypassing the a to b junction cable. If it doesn't, its the battery.

I'm betting on the battery. Uncommon, but happens.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

53x12

by 53x12

goodboyr wrote:The battery charger does not do diagnostics. You need the diagnostic unit to do that. Although connections were checked, this has all the symptoms of a bad connection or cable. In particular the one connecting front jb to rear jb.

Maybe you aren't familiar with the SM-BCR2. The SM-BCR2 will definitely tell you if there is a problem with the battery or somewhere else in the system (some part not being seen or recognized). No one is claiming the SM-BCR2 does the exact things the SM-PCE1 does.

OP needs to hook his bike up to E-tube through the SM-BCR2 and see what E-tube sees and says. If he has an extra battery, he can install that and see what happens. Other than that, we can't help him over the internet.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I think we are splitting hairs here. All e tube will tell as you've said is whether it sees the device or not. The diagnostic unit will actually check the internal circuitry of each component.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

A mates battery died a few months ago. but he would get one or tow shifts after plugging it back into the system before it would just shut off. we plugged my battery in to confirm the diagnosis.
Previously (2 occasions i can remember) his di2 had suddenly stopped mid ride. Both times it turned out that one of the cables plugging into a shifter had come unplugged as he had just a bit too much tension in them and i guess a bit of flex in handlebars and/or shifters themselves wriggled it lose. could have been his dodgy mechanical skillz. So if you have glossed over checking the connections at the shifters because you suspect the problem lies else where then it could be worth double checking them properly evening if it means unwrapping bar tape.

But it could very well be a dead battery. Sounds like they die pretty randomly which is a bit scary. I've done loads more kms/hrs than my friend has and my battery is a year older than his was. Fwiw Shimano (germany) replaced his under warranty.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

E-tube with SM-PCE1 you have the option of checking error, E-tube with SM-BCR2 not

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

A cable unplugged at a shifter only kills the derailleur that the shifter controls, not the system. The op has said that he pressed shifters plural and had no lights. He bypassed the bb junction and had no lights. He either has a bad A junction or a failed battery. I've never heard of a bad a junction. I've personally experienced the mystery battery failure.