ROVAL clx40 vs Campy BORAONE 50 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caballero

by caballero

I would get the bora ones.

FreaK

by FreaK

roval: not even once
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

This thread is going nowhere.

Here's the summary of many responses: nice, good, I like, looks good, outstanding, I agree, better, very nice, without any doubt

Not sure how this helps anyone make a decision between 2 wheelsets.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

To me, Campy's G3 pattern makes no sense.

If Campy advertises that pattern for an aesthetic point, I'm all for it because G3 pattern is beautiful indeed.

However, Campy cannot stop advertising bullshit science behind G3 pattern.. which is full of shit.

I don't mean to offend anybody but Campy's marketing chief.
Just my personal opinion.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

BRM

by BRM

But you have an unshakable belief in the Specialized marketing. . . . .

:twisted: :D

tommasini

by tommasini

DavidMLee wrote:To me, Campy's G3 pattern makes no sense.

If Campy advertises that pattern for an aesthetic point, I'm all for it because G3 pattern is beautiful indeed.

However, Campy cannot stop advertising bullshit science behind G3 pattern.. which is full of shit.

The G3 provide a more even spoke tension between drive and nondrive spokes. The one nondrive side spoke needs to be tensioned higher to offset the 2 drive side spokes. that is good as it forces a higher tension which in turn reduces the effects of loading/unloading - which is a primary cause of metal fatigue and thus failure of spoke. You also never hear anyone moan about a Campy rear (or front) having poor lateral stiffness but you do hear that about Zipps and other traditional builds.

spartan

by spartan

the aero question..

in tour mag international there was a shootout test 3 months ago. interesting they tested a sarto bike equipped with bora50. when they aero test it they installed zipp 404 firestrike. the diff between the two in a simulated course was very small. google it to get the full article.

braking/stiffness bora have been tested to be vastly superior. personal experience i rode my bora 35 in the rain. best carbon braking i have experienced on carbon clincher. i have owned/ridden bontrager,enve,zipps.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Darceking

by Darceking

I have the Roval CLX 40 and put about 10,000km on them. Only wheels I own and have never given me a problem. I race on them also and the wind never seems to give me any problem. I am 6"3 and 96kg. For the price, I don't think there is anything better.

sawyer

by sawyer

DavidMLee wrote:To me, Campy's G3 pattern makes no sense.

It does indeed make sense. Read into it more.

Though no doubt overstated by the marketing dept, who are only doing their job
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Shimano is also doing the 'G3' pattern as well on their higher-end wheelsets (riding one with it now) although the spokes aren't grouped together like Campy's. I think it was Campy who had it first. Why not patent it as I believe it's a really good idea.

Junior7

by Junior7

I use bora and I am very satisfied.

Before had zipp 404, I think the best bora

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm tempted to buy a set of Boras. I'll have to wait until June 29 to see what Shimano has up in their sleeves. If nothing new/interesting comes from Shimano then I just might pull the triggers on a set of Bora ones 50 clinchers.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Darceking wrote:I have the Roval CLX 40 and put about 10,000km on them. Only wheels I own and have never given me a problem. I race on them also and the wind never seems to give me any problem. I am 6"3 and 96kg. For the price, I don't think there is anything better.

There are plenty of wheels that are better in every aspect. The reason Roval wheels have been reliable is due notorious DT Swiss 240 hubs. Braking performance is average. The rim itself is narrow and box shape in contrast to modern wide and "U" shape.

There are slew of threads in the community about wheels and based on comments that have been posted for number of years, many riders still fail to understand fundamentals of rim profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

I have a set of clx40s on my bike. To be honest, I bought them because they had the dtswiss hub, and look good. Performance wise, I am unqualified to come to any conclusion. They get blown around a bit more in the wind compared to my Fulcrum Zeros, but I wouldn't imagine any other wheelset would be any better.

For what it is worth, the clx40 has not prevented Sagan from achieving some stellar results this year.

I'd imagine if I had built up an italian rig with campy, I'd have probably bought Boras.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

thedonnydino wrote:I have a set of clx40s on my bike. To be honest, I bought them because they had the dtswiss hub, and look good. Performance wise, I am unqualified to come to any conclusion. They get blown around a bit more in the wind compared to my Fulcrum Zeros, but I wouldn't imagine any other wheelset would be any better.

For what it is worth, the clx40 has not prevented Sagan from achieving some stellar results this year.

I'd imagine if I had built up an italian rig with campy, I'd have probably bought Boras.

Yes, Roval wheels are known to get blown around in crosswinds due to it's rim profile.