Clean Colnago C60 Di2 install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

showdown

by showdown

While my C60 was on the stand for cleaning, new brake cables and new bars I decided to see if I could hide all the wires/junction boxes and clean up my install if Di2. I was inspired by some of the TT setups I've seen here. I think it went well :)

Left shifter e-tube cable connects to the right shifter through 3T Ergonova internal cable routing (sprint shifters connected to each) The right shifter e-tube cable runs with the right/rear brake cable into the internal routing channel through the bars and out to the C60 top tube brake access port. The e-tube cable then enters the top tube, turns and goes into the headtube and then into the downtube where it connects with junction box B1. Connected to junction box B1 are the front mech, rear mech and another e-tube cable that runs into the seatpost and connects to junction box B2. Connected to junction box B2 is the internal seatpost battery and the junciton box A. Junction box A is mounted to the underside of the saddle with 3M adhesive tape. I haven't yet decided on the final place but when I do I'll get another junction box mount and epoxy it in place. I want to spend a bit of time riding to see where I can place it that won't limit my access while riding in case I need to fine tune the trim etc... (I've only done this once after a neutral wheel change during a race)

I had to drill a 4mm hole into the toptube brake access port- but seeing as all of the other access ports on my C60 have a 4mm hole except this one (did they run out, was someone sleeping on the job...?) I figured it was no big deal and now all the access ports are both mechanical and Di2 compatible. I also had to drill a 4mm hole into the seatpost. before doing this I bought a spare Colnago carbon post off eBay, drilled the 4mm hole and rode it for a while just to make sure it was sound. The thing is way over engineered and even with the hole is more than sound. I have no worries whatsoever.

So now all the wires are hidden, the junction box is under the saddle and hidden and the bike looks pretty clean.

I will say that anyone who claims that a Di2 install is as quick as an eTap install is nuts. All together the install took me about an hour, maybe a bit more if you include the wrapping of the bars and all the other stuff like cleaning the drivetrain and putting it all back together. Nothin about this was particularly hard, it just took some time. I don't mind and am of the mindset that everybody should learn to build their own bike even if only so they appreciate it when their mechanic does it.

Anyhow, enjoy. And sorry for the big ass pics... better than tiny ones, right?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Your image links are broken. [Fixed, never mind]

Nice work! I don't think anyone claimed in that other thread that Di2 installation was as fast as eTap, just that that the speed of installation is immaterial once installed. (I don't have an opinion either way.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice but all I care about is that you post a full profile pic. Teasers are ok, but only if you eventually come clean with the full pic. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

policelkh89

by policelkh89

good
I think perfect.!!

53x12

by 53x12

Nice job showdown. Looks like you did a great job.

No one is saying that Di2 takes the same length of time as eTap. What people are saying is the time difference between the two isn't hours and hours. The biggest difference between Di2 and eTap would be threading the Di2 wires through the frame. Once you get the hang of it (and know a trick or two) it won't take more than an extra 10-15 mins to thread the Di2 wires depending how complicated the frame is.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

newforker

by newforker

holy saddle setback..

stormur

by stormur

you'll brake saddle rails sooner or later. rather sooner .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

sjdong

by sjdong

Nice Colnago, Looks like great machine!!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

That's really tidy. Bloody good work.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If I ever do go electric, it would have to look something like that. Or wireless with no redundant holes left in the frame and derailleurs of a reasonably compact size. Still interested in seeing a pic of the whole bike as it looks like a unique color combo. Is it?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zervo

by Zervo

I'm assuming that the larger cable coming from the left houses both the brake and Di2 cable. Can anyone please direct me to where I can find one of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

cedced74

by cedced74

Amazing build ! So if I understand correctly, there is only one cable running to the junction box A... Is that correct ?
Thanks,
Ced.

scb

by scb

Looks great.

Has anybody every tried a similar install with SR EPS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boramee

by boramee

looks great.

I think perfect.