SRAM Red eTap With 11 X 32 Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peacefulloflove

by peacefulloflove

eaglejackson wrote:
peacefulloflove wrote:
Thank you. I think you're absolutely right, and I'd forgotten that you can switch between a DA and ultegra rear di2 mech.

What I'm wondering is why they don't just offer a medium cage DA version? The ultegra rear mech is nice but weighs about 70 grams more!

It's odd to me, too, that Shimano doesn't have a medium cage DA.

I like the flexibility of the current Shimano cranks where you can switch chainrings on the same crankset -- 53/39, 52/36, 50/34, etc. And if I needed to go real low, I'd swap out the DA rear mech for an Ultegra one. The good news is that the Ultegra Di2 rear mech is way less expensive than the DA one, so it's really not a big deal to have one in the spare parts bin that you can swap in when needed.

Yea, it's frustrating because there are very few races where I need a 34 - 32--namely, the Mt. Washington Road Race--and It would be really nice to just use the same set up all the time. But it's not the end of the world :)

Marin

by Marin

I'm running a mechanical RED derailleur on my Ritchey and it takes an 11-32 cassette without problems, I run it all the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The elephant in the room: why the heck don't all these companies sell multiple cage options that are designed to be changed by the user? :evil:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

peacefulloflove wrote:Hey Everyone!

I'm building up a Colnago C60 and want to be able to run an 11 X 32 for uphill climbs like Mt. Washington. I was going to get Dura Ace di2 and then use the Wolf Tooth Components Road Link to run a 32 on the back. I contacted them and they said that though they haven't tried using it with eTap, they see no reason why a 32 wouldn't work.

Before I place the order for etap, I wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts as to why, or why not, it wouldn't work.

Thanks!

Hi there...

I've been thinking about this setup also. I run Red22 mechanical. I ended putting in a Force 11-32 cassette and changed the RD to Rival Long Cage. Works fine. But I just ordered the RoadLink and gonna see if i can put my short cage red22 RD back on.

Bugs

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

I was looking into making a compromise with a regular Red RD with the Roadlink too and here's what I found out:

1. Yes, it probably will give you the clearance for the 32t cog. But not sure how the B screw will turn out.
2. Chain wrap capacity could be an issue as someone has mentioned in this thread. I think the regular Red RD has a capacity of 33t so while you could clear the 32t cog, the RD won't be happy with the 37t capacity.

And Mr.Gib, unfortunately the geometry of short and long RDs are different at parts other than the cages :(

yinya

by yinya

Based on your experiences, do you think combination of 11-30 and the eTap short cage RD would work with the Roadlink even if 11-32 didn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

peacefulloflove wrote:Thank you. I think you're absolutely right, and I'd forgotten that you can switch between a DA and ultegra rear di2 mech.

What I'm wondering is why they don't just offer a medium cage DA version? The ultegra rear mech is nice but weighs about 70 grams more!

You can use one of these cages (or others) to make a DA (mech or DI2) RD work perfectly with 11-32, with the added drag relieving benefits of ceramic bearings and an oversized pulley wheel. Cheaper than buying a spare UDI2 mech as well.

http://www.ultimateceramicbearings.co.uk/product.php?id_product=112

964Cup

by 964Cup

wingguy wrote:
peacefulloflove wrote:Thank you. I think you're absolutely right, and I'd forgotten that you can switch between a DA and ultegra rear di2 mech.

You can use one of these cages (or others) to make a DA (mech or DI2) RD work perfectly with 11-32, with the added drag relieving benefits of ceramic bearings and an oversized pulley wheel. Cheaper than buying a spare UDI2 mech as well.

http://www.ultimateceramicbearings.co.uk/product.php?id_product=112

Cool. Not seen them before. May get one and see if it works.

eric

by eric

yinya wrote:Based on your experiences, do you think combination of 11-30 and the eTap short cage RD would work with the Roadlink even if 11-32 didn't?

I've done it without Roadlink using a cable operated Red derailleur. 50/34 and 11-30. Works great. However it does depend on your frame's hanger. An extra short hanger will restrict the max cog size. I did it on a Cervelo R3SL.
I expect the Etap derailleur has the same geometry as the cable operated one.

964Cup

by 964Cup

Bought the carbon / ceramic bearing / Ti pulley version of the UCB cage (http://www.ultimateceramicbearings.co.u ... roduct=149). Fitted it to my 9070RD, added an 11-32 XG1190 cassette and used it for the Chiltern 100 sportive yesterday (171km, 2600m of climbing). Worked faultlessly.

civicboy8

by civicboy8

Just to let you all know I have the SRAM etap and have a 11x32 cassette and it works absolutely fine with no issues!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bearsdidit wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:Another Shimano solution is the Ultegra DI2 rear derailleur. It is designed to handle a 32, whereas the DA is not. The Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur is fully compatible with the rest of your DA Di2 gear.

A 9070 rear will actually work with a 30 as well.

Sometimes the frame makes a difference to.. 30t on my parlee is ok.. 32t no. My wife madone 6 can run a 32t. Both have 9070 rd.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'd like to put the eTap on my tandem however I need a 11x40. So I'll have to wait until they have a WiFli or a MTB version.

superdx

by superdx

civicboy8 wrote:Just to let you all know I have the SRAM etap and have a 11x32 cassette and it works absolutely fine with no issues!

Interesting, a couple posts back another user tried it, and said it didn't work. Mind sharing some pictures?

civicboy8

by civicboy8

superdx wrote:
civicboy8 wrote:Just to let you all know I have the SRAM etap and have a 11x32 cassette and it works absolutely fine with no issues!

Interesting, a couple posts back another user tried it, and said it didn't work. Mind sharing some pictures?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com