SRAM Red eTap With 11 X 32 Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

civicboy8

by civicboy8

civicboy8 wrote:
superdx wrote:
civicboy8 wrote:Just to let you all know I have the SRAM etap and have a 11x32 cassette and it works absolutely fine with no issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, a couple posts back another user tried it, and said it didn't work. Mind sharing some pictures?

Everywhere (official documents and people quotes) says 11-28 is maximum that SRAM Red etap but as you can see my setup is tight but works absolutely fine. I have a 52-36 crankset on the front also. The B screw isn't at its limit either, but anymore and it started to slip off the hanger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for sharing. Shouldn't the picture show 32x52? The reason for a longer pulley cage is so that it takes up slack needed for a longer chain. Without a longer pulley cage the chain will be either too tight in the 32x52 combo or too long in the 11x36 combo.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Thu May 19, 2016 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

superdx

by superdx

Nice job! What did you have to do to get it to fit?

civicboy8

by civicboy8

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks for sharing. Shouldn't the picture show 32x52? The reason for a longer pulley cage is so that it takes up slack needed for a long chain. Without a longer pulley cage the chain will be either too tight in the 32x52 combo or too short in the 11x36 combo.

I'm not at home at the moment to take a photo but 52-32 isn't an issue...nor the 11-36 combo. Although I obviously try not to do this out on the road!

civicboy8

by civicboy8

superdx wrote:Nice job! What did you have to do to get it to fit?

Nothing that is of any modification! As standard install!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

civicboy8 wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks for sharing. Shouldn't the picture show 32x52? The reason for a longer pulley cage is so that it takes up slack needed for a long chain. Without a longer pulley cage the chain will be either too tight in the 32x52 combo or too short in the 11x36 combo.

I'm not at home at the moment to take a photo but 52-32 isn't an issue...nor the 11-36 combo. Although I obviously try not to do this out on the road!

I should have said 'too long in the 11x36 combo'.

Yes, I wouldn't use those extreme cross-chain combos on the road. I think when Sram lists the gear capacity of the RD it's based on the extreme cross-chain combos. They have to make sure that every gear combination works regardless of whether they are practical or not. If possible please show a picture of 11x36 and a picture of 32x52. Thanks.

hyunsoo

by hyunsoo

Another quick question, considering all the cabling is internal on the Madone is it a waste to go Etap at the same price as DA Di2? I've always ridden Shimano but I am very intrigued by Etap.

rickytek

by rickytek

civicboy8 wrote:Just to let you all know I have the SRAM etap and have a 11x32 cassette and it works absolutely fine with no issues!

Hy, do you think that etap works fine with 11-30 rear cassette???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

poppiholla

by poppiholla

@civicboy8: Do you ride a Specialized Tarmac?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

civicboy8

by civicboy8

poppiholla wrote:@civicboy8: Do you ride a Specialized Tarmac?

I've got a Venge

civicboy8

by civicboy8

rickytek wrote:

Hy, do you think that etap works fine with 11-30 rear cassette???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Should do, just adjust the B screw accordingly

boogermin

by boogermin

I can confirm that an 11-32T cassette will work with eTap. I just installed it on my 2015 Cervelo S5, and made no changes to the derailleur hanger or chain. I had an 11-28T cassette before. B-screw isn't all the way in, either. I wouldn't x-chain, but in the event you need a bail-out gear (which is why I gave this a go), 11-32T will work. Obviously, YMMV.

civicboy8

by civicboy8

boogermin wrote:I can confirm that an 11-32T cassette will work with eTap. I just installed it on my 2015 Cervelo S5, and made no changes to the derailleur hanger or chain. I had an 11-28T cassette before. B-screw isn't all the way in, either. I wouldn't x-chain, but in the event you need a bail-out gear (which is why I gave this a go), 11-32T will work. Obviously, YMMV.

Yes exactly the same as me!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Does it work in the cross-chain gear combos?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

civicboy8

by civicboy8

It does, just like any other groupset, just not recommended.