SRAM Red eTap With 11 X 32 Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chris_W

by Chris_W

Warning: Just because SOME people can get it to work on CERTAIN bikes doesn't mean that it will work on your bike! The maximum cassette size that will work with a given derailleur is not only dependent on the geometry of the derailleur itself, but is also largely dependent on derailleur hanger length and angle, and also somewhat affected by the chain length, front chainring size (larger chainrings cause the return portion of the chain to be lower), and chainstay length. With the right combination of these, you can get a derailleur to work with a far bigger cassette than it is officially rated for; with the wrong combination of these then it may barely work with even a cassette size that is within the official range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amey

by amey

Not an etap specific question but more about the brakes. I've recently acquired red22 aerolink brakes. I am hitting a wall with installation; saw this video many times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCM8ngEwho

Housing is cut at right length. Pads are swisstop evo and rims are Kinlin XC279.

I am unable to stop the brake moving side to side .. any tips?

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

eTap has only short cage option for now, which could engage max 28 cog.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Chris_W wrote:Warning: Just because SOME people can get it to work on CERTAIN bikes doesn't mean that it will work on your bike! The maximum cassette size that will work with a given derailleur is not only dependent on the geometry of the derailleur itself, but is also largely dependent on derailleur hanger length and angle, and also somewhat affected by the chain length, front chainring size (larger chainrings cause the return portion of the chain to be lower), and chainstay length. With the right combination of these, you can get a derailleur to work with a far bigger cassette than it is officially rated for; with the wrong combination of these then it may barely work with even a cassette size that is within the official range.

I think you have hit it on the nail. While I think some setups could work OK, the shifting is most likely not perfect in the extreme cross-chain combinations (i.e. 11x39 or 32x53). While on bike setups it just won't work, period.

plpete

by plpete

Not all bikes come with the same with same length derailleur hangers. For this reason some were able to make this work since their hanger was a few mm longer. The photo of the user that got it to work shows the RD in a really awkward stretched position and has a potential to cause damage when shifting to the 32t and just snap the hanger, especially if you're not paying attention and shift into it while in big ring increasing the chain tension. Another point is that you can't "feel" anything while shifting since this is electronic. In a cable system you can tell when a shift isn't going right and are able to shift gently when playing it close like that. I actually emailed SRAM a while back to ask about this set up and was told that a long cage RD is "in development" but was not told when it will actually be released.

Chris_W

by Chris_W

Back in April, I asked the local SRAM representative (in Switzerland) when the 32-tooth eTap rear derailleur would be available, and he told me "July". I have no idea whether that was an official plan, or whether they are now further behind schedule.

Since I work in a bike shop in Switzerland where everyone uses a compact crank, only the fast guys use 28-tooth cassettes and everyone else uses 30- or 32-tooth (or whatever their derailleur can handle), then we won't be recommending eTap to any customers until the 32-tooth version is available. The Shimano Ultegra Di2 long-cage is therefore the only electronic rear derailleur that we can seriously recommend to people right now.

m66

by m66

amey wrote:Not an etap specific question but more about the brakes. I've recently acquired red22 aerolink brakes. I am hitting a wall with installation; saw this video many times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCM8ngEwho

Housing is cut at right length. Pads are swisstop evo and rims are Kinlin XC279.

I am unable to stop the brake moving side to side .. any tips?

They are designed to move that way. I realize this is different than Shimano brakes and even current SRAM Force brakes. I went through the same concerns when I installed my first set. Took to show my buddy who's a wrench at a LBS. He ended up calling SRAM tech, and even the guy first guy on the phone didn't believe him that it had that movement. But then someone at SRAM got on the phone and said that's how they're suppose to be. They probably should note this on the install docs and the video...

I've been running them for a couple of years now on various bikes and have noticed no issues with the design.

Msb2tg

by Msb2tg

11-32 cassette works with the Wi-fli sram red RD .. i actually run this set up on more brutal climbs to save my legs.. i run a mid compact 52 rotor q ring in the front and a compact q ring 34 in the rear, 11-32 cassette ... works really well.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Just me own 2 cents. Playing around with it in the work stand. Cervelo S5. B tension screw wound right in.

53x32 - It works, but not ideal.

39x32 - Looks a lot better.

wingguy

by wingguy

glam2deaf wrote:53x32 - It works, but not ideal.

Yeesh. Does it work on the road with bumps, chain tension and shifting forces? And if so, for how long...

If SRAM doesn't bring out a wifli version soon, there are quite a few companies who do aftermarket pulley cages for Shimano like Ceramicspeed OSPW or UCB Speedcage. Any SRAM compatible ones out there to make life easier?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Don't really want to find out how the 53 works on the road. Was mostly an experiment before I put the 32 on my CX bike.

As for after market cages, it looks to be just Shimano for now who get the nice upgrades. Would a force wifli cage fit to an etap RD?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

glam2deaf wrote:Don't really want to find out how the 53 works on the road. Was mostly an experiment before I put the 32 on my CX bike.

As for after market cages, it looks to be just Shimano for now who get the nice upgrades. Would a force wifli cage fit to an etap RD?

IIRC the pulley cage on SRAM RDs are not user-replaceable. It's pinned to the p-knuckle.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

[quote="glam2deaf"]Just me own 2 cents. Playing around with it in the work stand. Cervelo S5. B tension screw wound right in.

53x32 - It works, but not ideal.

You can add one or two links to the chain, with large crowns and dish, drailleur not as forced anger

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i built the worlds first EPS super record medium cage mech the other day...

perfectly working 11/32 setup

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com