Thin Valve Extender

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My brass valve extender is too thick to fit in the hole of my new rims. Do you know of one that's close to the same diameter as a valve stem so it'll fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Does your brass valve extender simply fit over the existing valve? If so you will need to purchase an extender that screws into the valve opening (having removed the valve core first). These extenders are the same diameter as standard presta valves and will fit no worries.

Only catch is you will require tubes that have a removable valve core. I use Vittoria Ultralights with a 58mm length valve (I think, the longer valve has a removable core, the shorter doesn't so make sure you double check).

I also find a little plumbers tape on the threads helps stop air leakage.
Last edited by Fixie82 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

I like the Bontrager extenders.

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

Agree with Fixie82. The valve core extenders are the way to go. Less leaks and skinnier than most over the top valve extenders. I know the 48mm Q-tubes have removable valve cores. They are a bit cheaper than the ultralight tubs.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Not what I wanted to hear cuz that kind can't be removed after inflating. Might as well just run long valves. I think I'llcopen up the hole in the rim a little and see if any of the extenders in stock at local shops are any thinner than mine.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My shop had a Zipp that calipers said was noticably skinnier thany old brass Spinergy. Got it home and it fits in the rim. I'm now riding with 32mm valves concealed under taped holes and using the extender for pumping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com