PF30 install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

defride

by defride

I've had a good hunt through the creaking BB threads and there seems a reasonable consensus that Loctite 609 can help with creaking issues and might even be worth using preventively. Some other products are mentioned but not always widely available.

All my previous BB experience is with threaded so despite having the tools I considered using the local dealer. A call did not inspire confidence, 'how do you prep the BB?' 'just press it in'... maybe I didn't ask the right questions. Seems sensible to go it alone.

Couple of queries I've not seen addressed in the posts I've read.

The BB shell has some carbon dust in it, I'll use a clean rag then most seem to be using alcohol to clean, that's been hard to source. I do have Acetone, any issue using this? (other than it's nasty stuff)

I've carbon fibre assembly paste for alu/carbon products included in the accessory pack, it specifically mentions using it for alu/carbon seatposts and stems but not BB despite that also being an alloy carbon interface. With all the talk of Loctite and the like I've seen no mention of carbon pastes in any search on the subject, why is that given it's designed to help stop movement between carbon and alu?

Great to hear any of your advice, thanks

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Where on the planet is simple isopropyl alcohol hard to come by? It's available in every supermarket, hardware store and pharmacy in North America.

I have no experience with the carbon assembly paste for BB, but I would avoid that in this application.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

defride

by defride

UK, hardware stores aren't allowed any more, so they say and even the pharmacies don't stock it, none around here anyway.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Wow. Crazy world. I'd have no problem using Naptha (lighter fluid). Naptha is used on vintage nitrocellulose guitar finishes. Evaporates cleanly.

For the purpose you're looking to do, simple soapy water, with a fresh-water rinse. Allow to dry. That will get things as clean as alcohol would.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

After cleaning and prior to using the loctite 609, you should apply loctite primer activator 7649, or 7471. This improves the adhesion, and speeds up the set time of the 609. In particular, with passive materials such as CF, it greatly improves the performance of the 609.

modman

by modman

How you prepare the shell and cups before pressing depends on the materials of each, and to a lesser extent, the manufactures' recommendations. Your post suggests a carbon frame with aluminum bottom bracket. What material are the cups? Plastic? Aluminium?

BRM

by BRM

defride wrote:UK, hardware stores aren't allowed any more, so they say and even the pharmacies don't stock it, none around here anyway.

isopropyl alcohol

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... yl+alcohol

eBay UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... l&_sacat=0

defride

by defride

BRM wrote:
defride wrote:UK, hardware stores aren't allowed any more, so they say and even the pharmacies don't stock it, none around here anyway.

isopropyl alcohol

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... yl+alcohol

eBay UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... l&_sacat=0

Yes, know I can get it online but had hoped I'd be able to pop out and get some locally

modman wrote:How you prepare the shell and cups before pressing depends on the materials of each, and to a lesser extent, the manufactures' recommendations. Your post suggests a carbon frame with aluminum bottom bracket. What material are the cups? Plastic? Aluminium?

Yes, carbon shell and alu cups, Cannondale. There doesn't seem to be consistent advice from Cannondale

Cheers for the other tips thus far

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

defride, can you not buy alcohol swabs at the pharmacy for hypodermic injections? You don't have to have a bottle of the stuff. The swabs will work fine to clean your BB shell. Cleanup of the cured 609 that has gotten onto the outside of the shell (I am a pig) does require a liquid solvent however. If you can't buy isopropyl alcohol in a bottle, try fingernail polish remover. It is mostly either acetone or ethyl acetate, both of which would work great. The reason you don't want to use it to prep the inside of the BB shell, is that it sometimes contains oils for care of the cuticles. You don't want that residue to interfere with the Loctite bond.

+1 on the primer/activator. It will make all the difference between a so-so bond and an excellent bond.

As for carbon assembly paste, that is an absolute no-no in this application. That is something that will remain liquid. You don't want that between the BB shell and the BB plastic cups. You want a fully cured, solid, adhesive bond.

Good luck. It really isn't all that hard.
Robert

BRM

by BRM

Instead of alcohol you also can use thinner.

wedgie

by wedgie

Maplin electronic stores in the UK sell isopropyl alcohol. Used for cleaning electronic circuit boards.

modman

by modman

BRM wrote:Yes, carbon shell and alu cups, Cannondale.

Cannondale has condoned the use of loctite in its carbon shells. See its tech doc here:http://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Dorel/Cannondale/Common/Support/Accessories/127894_PressFit_30_Bonding_Instructions_web.ashx.

IMHO, it is hit or miss regarding individual tolerance and whether you'll get creaking. Aluminum cups are so easy to get in and out that I will press them in dry and reinstall with loctite if they creak down the road. The reason why I install dry first is because many MFGs void the warranties if you apply it during installation (e.g., CK).

spookyload

by spookyload

I found using a Kogel BB solved my issue. The cups go insanely far into the frame, but never creak. They have you install it with grease and it is good to go. Have one in carbon and one in a ti frame. Large contact area seems to help with movement, go figure. Dear SRAM, did you really think a plastic BB cup was a good idea with metal bearings?

jih

by jih

As others have said, IPA isn't hard to source. But cheap vodka works fine and won't damage anything. Any supermarket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I always just clean and use loctite 609. I did that on the CAAD9 and my Hi Mod. No creaking ever. Easy in and easy out. I never used 7649 activator though. I usually install it in the evening and let it sit overnight.