ENVE updates their SES 4.5 line

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/enve-ses-4.5-carbon-clincher-road-wheelset-enve-ceramic-hub?skidn=ENV0032-ONECOL-SHI&ti=UExQIENhdDpCaWtlIFdoZWVsczoxOjU6Y2NDYXQxMDA0NjM=

Competitive cyclist's Product description says: "New for 2016, ENVE gifted the SES 4.5s with a brand new brake track, referred to as Gen 2, offering 30% stronger stopping power and the ability to retain 95% of its braking power when being used in sloppy, wet conditions."

The rumor has been going on here for a month or two, and while I haven't seen any news articles or the updated info on Enve website, this feels like a semi-official announcement.

Bought a set of 4.5 when they released it in last March, and it's already outdated. Thanks Enve, I thought you'd allow me at least two years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

How much braking, descending do you do in IL? Regardless, the ver 1.0 are very nice indeed. I have Classic 65s that I'm still rockin on another bike.

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

I spend 70% of a year in IL, and the other 30 in Korea, where roughly 70% of the landmass is mountainous. So I can appreciate good braking capabilities.

I like my gen 1 Enve 4.5s, don't get me wrong. What I don't like is Enve's incredibly short model cycle of 4.5 and its lack of disclosure.

No one wants to see their expensive carbon wheelset become outdated within a year. (Well, it hasnt even been a full year yet, since they introduced 4.5s mid-march of 2015)

For lack of disclosure, I guess Enve's giving retailers a time frame to exhaust Gen 1 stock. While Competitive Cyclist writes about Gen 2 and has many of "older" SES line on discount, many other retailers are doing neither of those. If someone didn't know any better, he would be a sucker who pays full retail on a not-significantly-but-surely-outdated product.

jeffy

by jeffy

and the Gen 2 will shortly be on all the rims.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If you liked what you bought, the fact that they've improved it for new buyers shouldn't matter. If you liked the product enough to buy it, then that certainly hasn't changed.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kkibbler

by kkibbler

fromtrektocolnago wrote:If you liked what you bought, the fact that they've improved it for new buyers shouldn't matter. If you liked the product enough to buy it, then that certainly hasn't changed.

I agree with this. You still have exactly what you paid for last year.

OTOH, you could argue that you also paid for the right to say that you have the latest and greatest. That is a weak and subjective argument.

OTOH, you could argue that the new version unexpectedly affects the resale value of your wheels. That argument has some merit.

F45

by F45

The rim weights they use on that page are for the tubular version.

You'd think, for a $3500 product, they could get the numbers right and list the total weight as well.

mimason

by mimason

F45 - lost in translation they all speak Finnish now and a little French.

wingguy

by wingguy

F45 wrote:The rim weights they use on that page are for the tubular version.

You'd think, for a $3500 product, they could get the numbers right and list the total weight as well.

I agree it's annoying that the clincher rim weights aren't listed. However, they do list the total weight for all wheelsets. Go through all the build options on the dropdown boxes (including decal colour) and weight/price for that specific wheelset will be displayed.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

That price includes the new carbon hubs...wow...if only...would rather get a new Foil frameset for that money first though. Will wait a while for people to start buying them, then 3-5 months later selling them over the next year/two...get them half price..haha

Agreed about the weight on the website. It says clincher, but that is the tubular weights listed for those sizes.

wingguy

by wingguy

What do you mean, it says clincher?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

The guys at Enve are super cool guys. Probably so cool that they overlook minor details when it comes to their business. They probably value riding over keeping the accurate weights of their products on their website. I mean, they've been selling that same stem for how many years without a redesign?

Hopefully the old (If that's the right term) 4.5's come down in price! I just bought a few hubsets for wheel builds.. I still run old 1.45's and they brake like champs.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

superdx

by superdx

The weights are listed on Enve's website, and even configurable with different hubs and gives you an exact weight.

And the old 4.5's are discounted at the CC link above.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

So far, I'm not a huge fan of the Gen 2 braking surface. It emits a loud sound similar to the Mavic Exalith braking surface. As of right now, I prefer the original braking surface.

mimason

by mimason

Can you snap a pic of the brake track and does it have a scrim layer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com