Colnago C60 - seatpost loose fit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wedgie

by wedgie

When I tighten the collar, the gap on the collar itself closes but the slot on the frame only closes slightly, perhaps the collar is too big. I was in contact with the uk distributors this morning. They've asked me to return the seat post and the collar and they'll replace both and see what difference that makes. They think it's more likely that the seat post or collar are outside tolerance rather than the frame. I'll update when I receive the new seat post and collar.

sharkman

by sharkman

By the way, the C60 I was experimenting on with this issue also had that same white seatpost. It took some effort to get it into the frame and even without the seat collar on the bike it was snug enough that I could pick up the frame without fear that the frame was going to slip off. It was beautifully finished both inside and out snd even though snug the finish was so smooth that no scratching was happening at any point despite its snugness. In your case where you say you can tighten the collar all the way to close the gap something just seems wrong there. That gap is pretty big.

I can guarantee that the 2016 frameset (as pictured) has an extreme loose fitting post and unclamped it will drop down (and schratch the white paint so nothing with smooth....). And for the info. at 3 nm ther was still some play.....

Hey @Sharkman, what's up with the wheels in that pic above... Bora wheels with FF decals photoshopped on them?

Nope, Bora's will be ordered, these are just some cheap china knockoffs with ffwd decalls under the (yellowing) clearcoat.
Last edited by sharkman on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Funny, I was just going to add that, about the seat post collar being too big. Re the seatpost, didn't you say you actually tried a different seatpost from your mtn bike and still had the same slop, so much that there was some wobble present from the play? And that the genuine seatpost you had was not supplied with the frame? Does the seatpost collar have the Colnago logo on it, because I can't think of any of their frames that use a larger one, but I'm not familiar with the lower end models. Would like to hear the resolution on this.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

sharkman wrote:
Hey @Sharkman, what's up with the wheels in that pic above... Bora wheels with FF decals photoshopped on them?

Nope, Bora's will be ordered, these are just some cheap china knockoffs with ffwd decalls under the (yellowing) clearcoat.

Hmmm... So someone goes to the trouble of producing cheap China Bora knockoffs and puts Fast Forward stickers on them? Don't quite get that one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wedgie

by wedgie

Update!
Received a replacement seatpost and seatpost collar today. I suspect the problem was with the collar because the new one tightens perfectly now at about 3-4Nm and still a gap of 2-3mm between the edges of the collar. Seatpost firm, no movement at all.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Excellent! And is the seatpost a snugger fit than before as well. Regardless of that however, what you describe now is what I would consider pretty normal.

wedgie

by wedgie

Probably not as snug as you describe without the seat collar, post slides in with no resistance, but tightens easily. Now I can finish the build!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sliding in with no resistance is fine. I have a matte finish one that is pretty easy that way. The tighter ones are like some of the new ones with thick white paint and thick white gloss. That's enough to make the fit more than "snug" from the get go.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I just checked mine. Seat post also slides with no resistance (other colnagos I have are more snug). No movement or jiggling after clamp is tight. 4mm gap.