So, the off-season has been all Di2 and E-tap... FSA, Rotor?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

I've noticed that post autumn there's been quite some silence about the less mainstream groups.
With the recent display of an electronic demo by Microshift, I'm wondering what's going on over there. NAHBS seems to be something of a weathervane into coming trends and by that measure Shimano seems to be everywhere while even the other established electronic group EPS has been underrepresented.

Any news anyone?
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

You haven't noticed Rotor?

It's on a lot of the Cervelo Bigla womens team bikes and DiData have been testing it also. FSA is... tumbleweed

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

FSA launch electronic shifting:

Dez33

by Dez33

FreaK wrote:I've noticed that post autumn there's been quite some silence about the less mainstream groups.
With the recent display of an electronic demo by Microshift, I'm wondering what's going on over there. NAHBS seems to be something of a weathervane into coming trends and by that measure Shimano seems to be everywhere while even the other established electronic group EPS has been underrepresented.

Any news anyone?

I noticed there was more silence about disc brakes 8)

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I'd be keen to try the FSA group. It's entirely fair to say their lower end kit is poor to middling at best, but SL-K and K Force are usually pretty decent kit.

The Rotor group is interesting, certainly, but it would seem to be a cludgy compromise to set up with external routing, and their graphics have always been a bit loud and unpleasant.

As an engineering task, there's really nothing vastly complicated about electronic shifting. The real trick is negotiating the patent minefield the big three have left. For sure, the existing solutions don't have any killer feature that is distinct beyond auto-trim to compel me into upgrading.

FreaK

by FreaK

wingguy wrote:You haven't noticed Rotor?

It's on a lot of the Cervelo Bigla womens team bikes and DiData have been testing it also. FSA is... tumbleweed

Haven't noticed much talk. Sue me, haha.

I'm holding out for the Acros road group personally, the base engineering of it makes way more sense for a long term system than the very complicated ratcheting system that Rotor went with, but more power to them. It's weird I catch myself even considering electronic groups now, but then i get a hold of myself. But the phenomenon fascinates me now, as much as it repulses me on principle i can't argue with how clean a bike looks without cables.

The FSA is such an interesting proposition, historically, since it actually comes from a much more well known brand. Tiso first showed it with 12 cogs, god knows why. That in and of itself was enough to repulse me. I regret now not taking a closer look when i had the opportunity to see it at Interbike all those years ago. It's also interesting in that there aren't cables of any kind to run from the levers to the battery. If i'm not mistaken the two derailleurs are still hooked to a battery by short leads, which cleans up the biggest aesthetic issue with e-tap, that being those gigantic derailleurs housing batteries. I also like the shape of the levers, but i wonder how they actually feel, proof is in the pudding.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I asked Tiso some years ago about this groupset. They told me they were not allowed to release it due to patents from Sram (i believe it was)..
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Btw, anyone heard anything about Rotor UNO, talking release date?
I actually thought UNO would be available for the masses first months of 2016....
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wingguy

by wingguy

I spoke to some guys from Rotor around 2 months ago and they said they weren't putting a solid date on it yet - I think that while the designed is pretty much locked down they were making sure that the production line and QC process was totally, totally dialled first. Let's face it, they're a pretty small company and they really can't afford for UNO to fail - it has to be perfect when they let it out into the wild.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Thanks Wing!
I can surely understand that. It would be a blast to try it.
Hope it goes well for them now that it seems electronic is on everyone's radar.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

From what they were letting on, the weight of the group should be the best available by a significant margin. I hope that's enough for them to gain some ground in the market - going ahead with this group was a very brave call from them I'd say!