2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL aces Tour Magazine test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

^ in the context what do you consider "heavier" rider.

sharkman

by sharkman

75+ kg's (these frames can easily handle 110 kg combined with the right components)
I once build a TCR for my dad (68 kilo's) and from his comments I do understand why especially the earlier models wheren't the best choice for small/light riders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

so no Canyon CF SLX, Felt FRD, Cervelo R5...strange to not compare with some of the best frames out there.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Is this the same test posted about here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136752

rorz

by rorz

@Bikeanon. No The giant is being compared against the older test you linked as the scoring system stayed the same. So the New Giant TCR scoring 1.3 would have won the test.

I got the two tests confused.

53x12

by 53x12

tranzformer wrote:Anyone what other bikes Tour tested besides the Giant TCR + Specialized S-Works Tarmac, Trek Emonda SLR, BMC Teammachine SLR01 and Ridley Helium SL 10?

thedalda1 wrote:Anyone what other bikes Tour tested besides the Giant TCR + Specialized S-Works Tarmac, Trek Emonda SLR, BMC Teammachine SLR01 and Ridley Helium SL 10?

Why did you copy and paste the above post by tranzformer as your own? It is exactly the same.

Delorre wrote:Izalco Max Disc, BH Ultralight, Sarto Seta, Fuji sl, Simplon Pavo red and Rose X-light Team 8800 if I remember. All very, very close and the score is for the whole bike, and not the frame set only.

Giant TCR Advanced SL
Specialized S-Works Tarmac
Trek Emonda SLR
BMC Teammachine SLR01
Ridley Helium SL 10
Stevens Comet
Izalco Max Disc
BH Ultralight Evo
Sarto Seta
Fuji SL
Simplon Pavo Red
Rose X-light Team 8800

That is 12 bikes, but Giant link says Tour tested 15 so we are missing 3 names.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kgt

by kgt

One of those new 'members' asking for a ban.
asi7212 is the other one.

Dez33

by Dez33

spartan wrote:emonda slr was the lightest frameset in "real world" weight. but was criticized for lack of stiffness vs competitors.

avg roadbikes tested were 2.5 minutes slower on a virtual race course against the benchmark madone 9.

aero drag junkies

tarmac 231 watts
emonda 231 watts
giant tcr advanced sl 229 watts
winner bh ultralight evo 228 watts
worst aero steven comet 241 watts

229 watts for the TCR Advanced compared to the 210 watts Propel Advanced SL in the previous test.

Main differences that effect aero are;

Propel has aero bars, TCR has round 31.8
Propel had Zipp 404 firecrests and the TCR had the 30mm Giant wheels.
Propel has aero frame and fork, TCR does not.

19 watts difference. I'm trying to find a comparison of a 202 v 404 review I saw ages ago that may have some relevance here as to how much of that 19 watt difference is the 404's.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Dez33 wrote:19 watts difference. I'm trying to find a comparison of a 202 v 404 review I saw ages ago that may have some relevance here as to how much of that 19 watt difference is the 404's.

Yes, apples and apples. Most of the differences are coming from the wheels.

GT56

by GT56

sharkman wrote:The last few generations of the TCR SL framesets all have within a range more or less the same characteristics.
Tour test are really great if you are a heavier rider and in searchs of a stiff / stable frameset.
On the others side lighter riders keep complaining about the "dead" / no lively feel of TCR's and suggest something else.
I own three generations of the SL (all Isp) and think these are great framesets, but not for everyone (but so are most of the overall winners
of the last years)

this is an important observation and i feel not given enough consideration in Tour's tests

french cycling magazine 'le cycle' always judges bikes against it's intended use and user

cycling also being an endurance sport demands of its equipment to make sure that the rider isn't worn out long before the finish line

kgt

by kgt

+1
I also believe that the best reviews come from 'Le Cycle'.

fEichert

by fEichert

I'm a lighter biker, about 59 to 62 kilograms during race season. I love the tcr advanced sl. Not harsh, not dead. For me, it is nearly perfect.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

From the aero chart, does anyone have the drag gram figure for the previous generation Venge?

Dez33

by Dez33

Matt28NJ wrote:From the aero chart, does anyone have the drag gram figure for the previous generation Venge?

The tests by this magazine prior to the 2016 aero shootout aren't really comparable, it seems they changed the test protocol extensively. The venge was up at 328 watts. You can download it for free, it's referenced in issue Q1 2013 where they test some other bikes that don't get near the venge they tested previously.

FWIW they used to standardize bars and wheels back then.

RyanH

by RyanH

@dez:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com