2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL aces Tour Magazine test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stoney

by stoney

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Anyone what other bikes Tour tested besides the Giant TCR + Specialized S-Works Tarmac, Trek Emonda SLR, BMC Teammachine SLR01 and Ridley Helium SL 10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

emonda slr was the lightest frameset in "real world" weight. but was criticized for lack of stiffness vs competitors.

avg roadbikes tested were 2.5 minutes slower on a virtual race course against the benchmark madone 9.

aero drag junkies

tarmac 231 watts
emonda 231 watts
giant tcr advanced sl 229 watts
winner bh ultralight evo 228 watts
worst aero steven comet 241 watts
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Delorre

by Delorre

Izalco Max Disc, BH Ultralight, Sarto Seta, Fuji sl, Simplon Pavo red and Rose X-light Team 8800 if I remember. All very, very close and the score is for the whole bike, and not the frame set only.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

spartan wrote:tarmac 231 watts
emonda 231 watts
giant tcr advanced sl 229 watts
winner bh ultralight evo 228 watts
worst aero steven comet 241 watts

If you go with a Tarmac or Emonda instead of a S5/AR/Madone 9, it looks like you would be losing out out on 26-27w according to Tour's data.

Jumps up to 36-37w if you go with something like a Stevens Comet.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

tranzformer wrote:
If you go with a Tarmac or Emonda instead of a S5/AR/Madone 9, it looks like you would be losing out out on 26-27w according to Tour's data.

Wow, I probably can't feel that but it sounds like a massive difference...

rorz

by rorz

I thought that with tour tests low numbers are better? The giant seems to come middle of the pack. The aero bikes seem to win the test. Does full article has more information where they decide the giant wins?

wingguy

by wingguy

The graph just posted is from a different test of aero bikes last year, and the Giant in that test is a different Giant.

From the article: The TCR shined brightest with “1” grades in the areas of steering stiffness, lateral fork stiffness, and bottom bracket rigidity. It also scored one of the highest scores in seatpost deflection (compliance) with a 1.3 grade.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

wingguy wrote:The graph just posted is from a different test of aero bikes last year, and the Giant in that test is a different Giant.

I believe Tour uses the same testing for all of their tests. I also believe the grading is the same. I posted the chart as it was Tour that did the aero testing in the aero road frame testing (where S5/AR/Madone 9 numbers are coming from) and Tour that did the same testing for this Giant TCR Advanced SL comparison that had the Tarmac/Emonda/Comet. Now if this was a Tour study vs. a Velonews study, things would be harder to compare, but the fact that both are Tour Magazine comparisons, it makes it much more easier to compare.

Yes, a Giant TCR Advanced SL is a different frame than a Giant Propel Advanced SL.

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, I know. I was talking to the other guy.

rorz

by rorz

Sorry I hadn't noticed that it was a different test

rick222

by rick222

It's amazing how extensive their testing is. The tested all the bikes with the stock wheel set and then all with Zipp 404's so the wheel factor is taken out. The Giant's stock carbon wheelset the SLR 0 did very well also. Fork lateral stiffness is measured with the fork out and in their lab.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Storck

:lol:

Why anyone bothers to consider them a top designer is truly a work of marketing genius.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

rorz

by rorz

When tour did a 100km with some climbing simulation Storck were at the bottom of the table for both aero and climbing models. The aero bike was beaten by the climbing bike.

But having said that i rode a Aernario and loved the way it rode it was just hugely expensive for what it was.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

The last few generations of the TCR SL framesets all have within a range more or less the same characteristics.
Tour test are really great if you are a heavier rider and in searchs of a stiff / stable frameset.
On the others side lighter riders keep complaining about the "dead" / no lively feel of TCR's and suggest something else.
I own three generations of the SL (all Isp) and think these are great framesets, but not for everyone (but so are most of the overall winners
of the last years)