Ultegra vs Dura Ace brakes (6800 - 9000)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

A complete groupset makes much more sense unless you gotta use an adaptor of any sorts to fit one.
Since BR9000 is only marginally better than BR6800, I recommend you to go for a complete groupset including brakes.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Dura Ace sounds Italian 'Duracci'

and 'duya race?'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cafegeek

by cafegeek

Frankly speaking, there are not big gap between 6800 and 9000 excepting weight.
I recommend you buy 6800 in aspect of cost-effectiveness.

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

I have a 2014 Roubaix with 6800 and a 2015 S-Works Roubaix that's 9000. I can't tell a differance between the two. The S-Works has CLX64 wheels and the Roubaix has CLX60 wheels. If I had to ride them blind folded I couldn't tell the difference.

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

srshaw

by srshaw

Dura Ace is the best. Ultegra is very good, as is 105. My bikes are currently split between Dura Ace on one and 105 on the other, my mountain bike is all xt which I suppose is the equivalent of Ultegra.

It all comes down to what you want to spend. In my view there isn't a massive functional difference, Dura ace just feels feels a little slicker, weighs a bit less, and looks better.

KimJaeCheon

by KimJaeCheon

I use 9000 only better design

iliedanila

by iliedanila

I have bought ultegra and black prince evo pads. I'm very happy with my choice, total confidence downhill!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

964Cup

by 964Cup

9000 and 6800 braking is indistinguishable in function. Buy DA if you're a weightweenie (and if you're not, why are you here?) and 6800 if you are sensible. That said, I'll have a set of BR9000 for sale as soon as my eeBrake mk3s finally arrive...

iliedanila

by iliedanila

964Cup wrote:9000 and 6800 braking is indistinguishable in function. Buy DA if you're a weightweenie (and if you're not, why are you here?) and 6800 if you are sensible. That said, I'll have a set of BR9000 for sale as soon as my eeBrake mk3s finally arrive...

I tend to be a WW sometimes. With particular components. Brakes are not an area where I want to have the lightest possible. In the brakes department I want the best there is, from a functionality pov. That's why I asked if DA brakes are "better" in any way than 6800.
This way I managed to have a sub 2.5k euros bike under 6.8 killos. Just sensible decisions.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

bikes4ever wrote:run both on two different bikes - no difference. DA looks much nicer!

100+ euros nicer [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Rogma84

by Rogma84

I think also there is only a optical diffrence between them .

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I recommend full Dura Ace with the exception of chain and rear cassette being Ultegra both of which last longer and work better. If money is an issue go Ultegra on the brakes as well. The front and rear Dura Ace derailleurs are better, the brifters even more so. As far as crank they're both good.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Many years ago there was an actual difference in the quality of materials used. DA had used fluorine coated pins in the derailleurs. I think the purpose of using fluorine is anti-friction. I have not checked Shimano's latest marketing materials recently to see if this still applies today. Lastly the DA brakes use Ti hardware so that drives up the cost too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5DII

by 5DII

pdlpsher1 wrote:Many years ago there was an actual difference in the quality of materials used. DA had used fluorine coated pins in the derailleurs. I think the purpose of using fluorine is anti-friction. I have not checked Shimano's latest marketing materials recently to see if this still applies today. Lastly the DA brakes use Ti hardware so that drives up the cost too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still do:
RD:
Hard wearing Dura-Ace finish and graphics for long lasting good looks
High tolerance cold forged aluminium link plates and body construction
Four self-lubricating micro-machined fluorine-coated link pivot
Pulleys are made of tough DuPont Zytel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com