Campy Chorus 11 shifter rebuild

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

loudtiger

by loudtiger

I was JRA today and noticed the upshift paddle no longer sprang back into place and it was very difficult to make upshifts. I can downshift just fine, and with enough wiggling get it to upshift about halfway up the cassette.

Based on my research there are no individual parts available from Campagnolo anymore. Is this correct? Is my best option to go for an EC-RE100 assembly, and swap my hood + brake lever over? I have pre-2015 11 speed, the shifter has about 10,000 miles on it. A little bummed to be experiencing issues already, but then I noticed that Campagnolo recommends a rebuild every 10-15k miles. Sounds like a new shifter every 10,000 miles, which, seems a bit excessive.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I think you are mixing up up and down shifts, but that's just terminology.

I would check and make sure that the shifter cover is seated properly and not interfering with the thumb shifter.

These things are pretty durable. I'd be checking other things also that might interfere, like crap in the shifter or a cable problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

loudtiger

by loudtiger

Sorry, you're right. I meant the downshift paddle (right behind the brake lever). There is no interference... upon closer inspection I see that there is a spring that hooks into the top of the paddle. On the right shifter the spring has snapped off right where it connects to the paddle - the left one still has it connected properly. Looks like an easy fix, if I can just buy the spring only...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't know if this advice will work or not.

The front mechs (the finger lever system), of the old Ergopower shifters are very similar to the current Ultrashift.

The drawing of the old one is here p44 p/n EC RE137. http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_164_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_2008_part_A.pdf

So if it is the same or similar enough, then that part is still available http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/campagnolo/campagnolo-lever/campagnolo-shifter-part/campagnolo-shifter-spring-right-ec-re137/

It's either that or a complete new sub-assembly.

One.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

loudtiger, is it not still under warranty?

Alternatively, where are you based? Graeme from the UK Campag Service Centre who posts on here has said they strip down new levers for spare parts so I'd expect he'd be able to help.

loudtiger

by loudtiger

5 8 5 wrote:loudtiger, is it not still under warranty?

Alternatively, where are you based? Graeme from the UK Campag Service Centre who posts on here has said they strip down new levers for spare parts so I'd expect he'd be able to help.

I'm in the US. Austin, Texas, specifically. I bought the shifters through merlin cycles a while back, so I assume there is no warranty that way. I'll probably try to reach out and see if there's anything that can be done. In the meantime, since this is my race/ride/commute bike, I'll probably get a new internal assembly first and then try to fix my current one later. I've sent out an e-mail to Graeme to see if he has any ideas as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

AJS914

by AJS914

Damn, you really can't buy even a spring anymore? This is what used to set Campy apart.

synthesis

by synthesis

Springs can be bought here: http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/campagnolo/campagnolo-lever/campagnolo-shifter-part/ Maybe OP has found one, but then here is the solution for others.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Here's the diagram for the Ultrashift, and as I compare again, the spring EC-SR037 looks different to the older one, although the finger lever mechanisms are pretty similar.

There is a source here http://www.smi-radsport.de/oxid.php/sid/9fb1ddd004a8396d19e575c015e83275/cl/details/anid/d9a4b1e712ab5fda3.09284551/CAMPAGNOLO-Rueckstellfeder-f.-UltraShift-Ergopower//listtype/search/searchparam/feder%20campagnolo/

One.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

We do have EC-SR037 and have connected with loudtiger.

It's not a super-easy fix as the whole lever needs to be stripped and reassembled to mount the new spring - but neither is it up there with stripping and rebuilding Shimano STi shifters ... it's not really so hard to do but as ever with most assemblies, there are some useful tricks which if you do this frequently, your fingers will learn!

There is no compatibility with the old 10s part EC-RE137, EC-XE037, etc ...

The falling availability of individual small spares is sadly connected to market demand, in the sense that with steady and unrelenting downwards price pressure on complete units, neither retailers nor distribution channels can afford the costs of holding a full spares inventory, so in recent years there has been a significant drop in demand. Spares are also costly to hold and manage at the factory so in common with other makers, although not to the same extent, Campagnolo have de-emphasised spares availability in some areas. Increasing model turnover rates in terms of range-change-per-year have also played their part with some spares simply having too short a life to make factory stockholding of all spares economically viable.

For us as a relatively small-scale operation, and being involved in the delivery of Campagnolo (amongst other) technical training on behalf of the factory - and being involved too, in both warranty and paid servicing, it's viable to hold small spares like this, so yes, we do from time to time split levers down to component parts.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@graeme: you are a credit to Campagnolo S.r.l. I hope the powers that be recognize that. Thank you.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com