Cervelo S2 2016 and Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ste_S

by Ste_S

After a lot of deliberation, I'm more or less ready to buy a Cervelo S2 as my new bike.
I'd be looking to mostly strip the frame, with the 105 going over to my training bike. I'll keep the Rotor cranks on the S2 though.

I'll want to put Ultegra Di2 on the S2, so have a couple of questions having never installed an electronic group before. Will i need any extra plugs/widgets for the frame when swopping from mechanical to electronic ?
Secondly, how hard is it to install an electronic groupset ? Will I need to remove the press fit BB (thus needing a press fit BB bearing thingy) to put the cabling and junction box in ?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

If buying new the bike should come with the appropriate cable plugs for Di2, if not I would certainly ask for them. If you aren't provided with them they can be purchased easily and at minimal cost, just make sure you buy the correct ones. There are two versions, round and oval, which corresponds to the shape of the port in the frame.

Installation is super easy, can be fiddle running wires through the frame depending on routing and tube size but all in all its a straightforward job. Read some installation tutorials and watch some videos first to pick up some tips.

Does the BB have a sleeve? If so, yes it will need to be removed. Even if it doesn't I would still take it out to give more room to work with, some BB shell openings are small and running wires and the junction box through them can be fiddly. More space makes it a little easier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Ste_S wrote: Will i need any extra plugs/widgets for the frame when swopping from mechanical to electronic ?

No, that should all come with the S2 bike with the owners manual and other misc pieces when you buy it.

Ste_S wrote:Secondly, how hard is it to install an electronic groupset ?

Not hard at all. Just depends how you want to route the wires, mostly the up front wires.

- R wire and L wire into junction A under the stem with Shimano attachment
- R wire into L shifter, L wire into junction A located somewhere else (integrated into stem, inside frame...etc.)
- Or some other method

Rest of it is simple. Get the correct length Di2 wires, then it is plug and play.

Ste_S wrote:Will I need to remove the press fit BB (thus needing a press fit BB bearing thingy) to put the cabling and junction box in ?

No. You won't even need to mess with the crank at all. This is what you will end up with (pictures from my S3 while I was building it).

BBRight BB is completely closed off. No need to remove to access Di2 system.

Access to Di2 system covered by rubber cover:

Remove rubber cover and you can see my Di2 wire going to my RD and from there plug everything into your junction box (A or B, however you have it setup) and thread the wire up the seat tube if you are doing an internal battery.

Hope that helps.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Fixie82

by Fixie82

^^ excellent pictures and walk through [emoji122]

goodboyr

by goodboyr

If you go on the cervelo website to the RCA part, take a look at the RCA supplementary manual. The config and diagram are the same for all cervelo with the new cabling system. That gives you good details on how to run di2 in the frame.

Junior7

by Junior7

53x12 He gave a lecture on how to make.

I will also buy a new bike, but I think the S3 with groupset ultegra di

sharkman

by sharkman

Cervelo doesn't deliverer bike's with a mechanical groepset with all the plugs etc needed for a di2 install and ordering the stuff can be more than annoying (at least in europe it is)
Same goes for the parts needed for oval saddle rails

53x12

by 53x12

sharkman wrote:Cervelo doesn't deliverer bike's with a mechanical groepset with all the plugs etc needed for a di2 install and ordering the stuff can be more than annoying (at least in europe it is)

Mine did but I bought it from the largest Cervelo dealer in Toronto. Came with all those parts. However that is an S3, so maybe the S2 is different.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

sharkman wrote:Cervelo doesn't deliverer bike's with a mechanical groepset with all the plugs etc needed for a di2 install and ordering the stuff can be more than annoying (at least in europe it is)

Cervelo does deliver all their bikes with the plugs needed for mechanical and DI2 routing, and that is how it is in the whole of Europe. If you didn't get them with yours, it's because your bike shop either kept them or lost them.

sharkman

by sharkman

Nope they don't at least not in 2015
the salesman / pon told me this was normal and I had to order fhem saparately. Framesets however come with a dual kit
Not a big problem but time consuming since it took nearly two months to get the stuff including the seatclamp

wingguy

by wingguy

Yes they do, and yes they did. Since I wrote the last post I've physically handed over an S2 to a customer and it has all the DI2 routing gubbins necessary. This holds true for the whole of Europe since Derby Cycles in Germany is the central distributor and sends the same bikes in the same manner out to every country.

The salesman was covering his own ass, your bike shop lost the extras. Fact :P

sharkman

by sharkman

If I was a regular customer I might be convinced but build four framesets last years and each time these came with the nescesary plugs etc. for both mechanical
and electronic groupsets.
The S2 and S3 build bikes came directly in unopened boxes (and everything sealed) from Derby so if someone messed things up it would be them (wouldn't be too suprised and I would always opt to do a build myself so I don't have to correct poor work from others....).

Anyway, expecting a R3 disc soon so let's see what comes with it.

wingguy

by wingguy

sharkman wrote:The S2 and S3 build bikes came directly in unopened boxes (and everything sealed) from Derby

How did you manage that? It's a breach of Cervelo's contractual conditions to sell a bike without an instore build and fit. Mail order is strictly forbidden.

Anyway, regardless of the circumstances you're still wrong about what the OP will recieve with is S2. They absolutely do come with all necessary DI2 grommets.

sharkman

by sharkman

I know but I also manage to do the same with a few other brands that state the same (guess most are
more than happy with every item sold).

As said it's not a big deal and a good dealer should deliver the wanted parts for free. (and the way the bikes where build unless your good with tools
I would say an instore (re-) build isn't a bad idea).

wingguy

by wingguy

As said it's not a big deal and a good dealer should deliver the wanted parts for free.

A good dealer won't need to. The parts come with the bike :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com