The new di2 Groupset - Wired or Wireless?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basenji29

by basenji29

The new di2 group is expected to be released this year, according to Shimano's product cycle. Rumours are that it won't be wireless and that got me thinking is wireless even an improvement? I haven't had a chance to try the etap group yet but im sure its brilliant. There are a couple of advantages of wireless but more disadvantages to me.

Advantages: Easier installation, Cleaner Lines, Looks cool, Ability to retrofit to any frame, No cables to come loose (crashes).

Disadvantages: 4 Batteries to worry about instead of 1, Potentially heavier than having 1 internal battery. Batteries are on show which will means a bulkier derailleur than an internal battery option. Less range before recharge. Battery drain, when the bikes being transported.

Also I really like SRAMS new way of shifting. Having just one paddle is better when you're wearing winter gloves but you lose the ability to shift the front and rear derailleurs at the same time. Its not the best idea to do this anyway, but I do occasionally shift both when I go down a big hill and then onto a steep climb.

I think Shimano's new group will be wired and have even slimmer / lighter motors. What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Things are going the same way with electronic groupsets, powermeters as all other consumer electronics/computers; once you purchase don't check prices or specs looking forward as they will be getting continually cheaper and potentially better.

basenji29

by basenji29

Im hoping 105 goes electronic :D

salesguy

by salesguy

this exact topic is being discussed in multiple other threads

Junior7

by Junior7

I'm about to change my bike and I'm wondering which group to use. Will be the future

Will be an electronic groupset, so not yet decided which

benzebub

by benzebub

basenji29 wrote:Im hoping 105 goes electronic :D

wont be happening in the next couple of years, Shimano claims the technology is still too expensive to let it trickle down to 105 level.
they say it will happen eventually but not in the next 2 years.
But I could be wrong

jeffy

by jeffy

I used to look forward to 105 di2, but personally i feel the less electronics/software the better.

I have had headaches/annoyance with HRM/Powermeters/Garmin. And I expect there to be more.

(generally speaking) at least with mechanical headaches i know the fix is possible (and not relying on the manufacturer to fix)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There was a picture available at Twitter for a couple of hours. But it disappeared later.
That mentioned 2017!
It looked a bit different!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

benzebub wrote:
basenji29 wrote:Im hoping 105 goes electronic :D

wont be happening in the next couple of years, Shimano claims the technology is still too expensive to let it trickle down to 105 level.
they say it will happen eventually but not in the next 2 years.

Apparently it's because 105 is made in a different factory (and different country) to the Ultegra/DA facility. This means they'd have to tool up and equip an entirely new electronics facility to make 105 DI2, which means the startup costs would currently be too high.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

I love how these "spy" shots appear, shimano has a sign saying no pictures. LOL!

These thinly veiled secrets are all contribed to create buzz, free marketing, etc..

For the companies that know how to work social media to their advantage it saves a lot of money in having to market a product.

superdx

by superdx

Tooslow wrote:I love how these "spy" shots appear, shimano has a sign saying no pictures. LOL!

These thinly veiled secrets are all contribed to create buzz, free marketing, etc..

For the companies that know how to work social media to their advantage it saves a lot of money in having to market a product.

Social media doesn't save money, in fact companies have to spend more to respond to the buzz from a campaign that has gone viral. and It's not always a good thing. There are serious obstacles, whether financially or product capacity, to keep up with something that has generated "buzz".

It's a common myth that social marketing is free where corporations are involved. It isn't.

Besides Dura Ace has always cost human organs & Shimano also sponsors pro teams to ride their latest and greatest. That is by no means cheap.

DMF

by DMF

The chances of this actually being an "accidental" leak? Seriously now? About a zillion to one odds... If you've been into cycling long enough, and maybe even have some insight in premium product marketing, then this charade is starting to get reeeeeally repetitive by now... I think we could, within a two week margin nail the spyshot-launch, the pressrelease-launch, the actual launch, and the "hit the stores" date for pretty much every top-three tier group from Shimano for the coming next two generations... I.e DuraAce 9370 will officially launch mid-June year 2023...

You could fairly accurately set your clock to Shimano release dates, and this charade with conveniently just mysterious enough photos, just revealing the right amount of information for maximum amount of pre-launch buzz, presets just about every DA/XTR launch...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these new spyshots and the buzz and speculations as much as the next guy/gal, but there is a clear undeniable status quo here that by now is pretty much carved in stone ;)
Last edited by DMF on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed. No accident. Just keeping those that may be in the market for something new hanging on just a little bit longer. A well placed and timed "spy shot" here and there keeps interest lest they just go out and do something silly like buy someone else's product in the meantime.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

coloclimber

by coloclimber

-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com