cannondale aero road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

stormur wrote:...Oops - I forgot their HUGE step in making life more complicated : BB30 "A"

And may they forever burn in hell for that! :evil:
I've always kinda liked their geometry however... clean and relatively straight lines. Nothing too radical there.
But I digress... back to their potential aero offerings.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

53x12

by 53x12

MikeyBE wrote:And based on the number of Cannondales I see on the road, they are clearly doing something right. I'd be the first to get excited by an aero Dale... But I do think the business case and demand is overstated for such bikes. Can't blame the slowness to market when they have such good products already.

Whether one thinks the demand is overstated for an aero road frame is besides the point. Cannondale' main competitors (Canyon, Felt, Cervelo, Trek, Specialized....etc.) all offer an aero road frame. So for potential customers who are looking at an aero road frame, have no option from Cannondale which means that Cannondale doesn't even have a shot at a potential sale due to that. All of those companies offer round tube race frames like the Evo and offer comfort level bikes like the Synapse. So it isn't like Cannondale is able to offer a product those guys don't offer and completely ignore the aero road frame market.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Dude. Note that I clearly said an aero frame is an investment in the future, and I would be very excited by a Dale aero frame.

My point is that Dale seem to be doing just fine, and they don't seem to have the incentive to bring one to market.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

MikeyBE wrote:My point is that Dale seem to be doing just fine, and they don't seem to have the incentive to bring one to market.

Lots of reasons and incentive for them to bring one to the market that I have already mentioned; i.e. competitors are offering a product to consumers that Cannondale isn't offering. That is reason enough.

Another reason that I haven't mentioned already, when the parent's company stock has crashed ~50% over the last 3 years, you know all is not well behind the scenes.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:Another reason that I haven't mentioned already, when the parent's company stock has crashed ~50% over the last 3 years, you know all is not well behind the scenes.

Dorel's entire cycling business is only responsible for around 1/3 of its revenue. Their overall position doesn't necessarily reflect on Cannondale at all. Flicking through the shareholder reports it sounds like Dorel Juvenile is the millstone round their neck while growth from Dorel Sports (Cannondale/GT etc) and Dorel Home Furnishings is keeping them afloat.

53x12

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:
53x12 wrote:Another reason that I haven't mentioned already, when the parent's company stock has crashed ~50% over the last 3 years, you know all is not well behind the scenes.

Dorel's entire cycling business is only responsible for around 1/3 of its revenue. Their overall position doesn't necessarily reflect on Cannondale at all. Flicking through the shareholder reports it sounds like Dorel Juvenile is the millstone round their neck while growth from Dorel Sports (Cannondale/GT etc) and Dorel Home Furnishings is keeping them afloat.

Which means that the cycling division (Cannondale) will need to continue to providing them with the same sales they have had the last few years and/or actually increase market share to make up for the other non-performing aspects of the parent company; hence my comment about all not being well behind the scenes.

There is a reason Cannondale/Dorel went after and hired Damon Rinard. Whether we will finally see that come to fruition this year is anyone's guess. But it is coming.

wingguy

by wingguy

Can't disagree with any of that :thumbup:

(I do hope Cannondale come out with a genuine aero bike too. I believe that the reason for their delay was that rather than thinking they were losing out on sales, the SSEvo was such a huge bike for them that they didn't want to dilute any of the focus on it as the pinnacle of their range)

Skylark

by Skylark

Why do ppl want an aero bike?

The Evo tries to do all things (light weight, aero, stiff) AIO.

It is a more 'aero' bike on the flats than is given credit to. For example given the way the suspension tracks the surface. Not in the conventional sense as almost all other manufacturers have worked on cheating wind instead.

So Evo tries to do all things in one package. It's somewhat futile asking for an aero bike without discounting the Evo. If they want an aero bike then the entire line of the Evo/Synapse/Slice has to be looked at. This isn't simply a case of just introducing yet another bike.

The Evo does track the ground quite well on the flats. I will give this. It isn't exactly aerodynamics in conventional regard but the purpose of an 'aero' bike is to be fast on the flats regardless. The frame is certainly world class light. But the Evo Mark I fails miserably in BB stiffness. This is somewhat a detriment to climbing experience. The geometry could also have been improved. The bike is a little on the high side compared to say a Tarmac. They changed the geometry in the Evo Mark II but I can't tell if the new bike is actually lower. Perhaps, perhaps not, I haven't any info or experience of the new Mark II.

I have ome experience of the Synapse Carbon (BB30A) and it is indeed quite stiff and responsive in the BB. Interesting that they've consistently developed the Synapse to be stiff in the BB, always over the years. The Synapse was certainly fun and responsive to ride. But again bad geometry, overly long HT and way extended WB. I no longer believe that these geometry features are needed in a comfort or road bike. They do ship the Evo with a 25mm headet cover as it is. I say get rid of the long HT, extended WB Synapse and merge the Syanpse and Evo into one. Then maybe they can start to think of a Slice practical solution for the road. The Evo is already amply comfortable for a road or sporty bike.

Krackor

by Krackor

Do you have any data on how much power is saved by a bike tracking the ground well? I have a feeling it's not even close to the same magnitude of efficiency improvement as aerodynamic effects. Bumps in the road would be my last guess for factors that influence speed on the flats.

stormur

by stormur

wingguy wrote:So we've got one guy who's adamant that Cannondale are shit because they redesign their frames far too often, and one guy who's adamant that Cannondale are shit because they hardly ever redesign their frames.

Just goes to show how important facts are when it comes to brand opinions... :roll:

Wierd point of view.

C is not "shit", I never said that. I said they couldn't make non chattering fork for cx bike, while almost everyone else could.

I said BB30 and BB30A make life much more complicated than it can be, and that's obcjective true.

External routing with molded brazes as Cannondale do, is cheapest way to do it, not the best. External can be also made slim and nice ( look at BMC GF01 f.e. ) . my last 5 bicycles have/had internal routing - NEVER had any troubles with cable change, nor shifting performance was affected by it. I get cleaner look and mud-proof routing in CX as well.

Visually TT /DT/ seatsaty connection is more than ugly - all manufacturers do that much more visually appealing.

Aluminium HT bearing cups are good for 600€ frame, not "top of the line" - now even relatively cheap CF frames are made that way ( less bonding CF to alu = better; stronger & lighter ).

Another thing is cable routing for SuperX = if you consider DT external as OK for cyclocross bike... I can't help it :mrgreen:

What IMO Cannondale is doing perfectly is "shaving sheeps" - they convince many that something poorly & centuries ago designed is "very fine" , while its competitors are already way ahead for similar money ( design& performance for the price factor ).

Fiber layup & resin technology is not same as 5 years ago, and no ones "religion" will change that. It's fact.

Fact is , Cannondale biggest "innovations" in last few years was new color schemes, BB30A and 25.4 seatpost :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

kgt

by kgt

stormur wrote:What IMO Cannondale is doing perfectly is "shaving sheeps" - they convince many that something poorly & centuries ago designed is "very fine" , while its competitors are already way ahead for similar money ( design& performance for the price factor ).

Any arguments that "competitors are already way ahead for similar money (design & performance for the price factor )"? Because, if I am not wrong, in most tests supersix turns out to be an equal, if not a better, performer than its competitors. No?
To give another example: Colnago C60 is an evolution of a 20year old design but it is maybe the best road frame ever existed.

stormur

by stormur

if you men lugs ( Colnago ) , this design is waay older than 20y ;) - what changed is BB shell, CF , resin, lugs shape... basically everything.
And yes "maybe", maybe not . Think wide tires accomodation, weight, aeroness. Sure it's comfy - every heavy CF frame is ;) just matter od amount of material to absorb vibrations. Geo : is smth better than 73/73/999 ? Classic Italian, known for decades.

Tests : thing which is totally worthless so long as testers are not financially independent from manufacturers. Isn't it ? Do you need more than already tons of examples for that ? One have to be really naive- to be gentle - to believe in "tests", with strong stress on "tour" magazine.

Performance : can you prove that BB30 is equal to BB386/BB86 in matter of stiffness ? I'd like to see it .

Same BB30A : all "tests" showed that Synapse is softest ( power transfer ) from all GF framesets on the market...

What an inconsistency : Narrow BB30 is "best", but wider "bb30a" is better ? ;)

What about 25.4 seatpost : how many choices you do have ? 1 ? FSA ?

I just don't believe in all marketing crap which ALL manufacturers ( direct and indirect ) try to feed me. Neither have to "follow" trends, or "belong" to fan club. I don't give a damn.

It is SPORTING EQUIPMENT. Just and only. Not status marker, nor religion. Technology of making it is evolving, but not for Cannondale... (?)
Mark Twain

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Skylark wrote:Why do ppl want an aero bike?

It is a more 'aero' bike on the flats than is given credit to. For example given the way the suspension tracks the surface. Not in the conventional sense as almost all other manufacturers have worked on cheating wind instead.

Because aero bikes are faster. And well done aero bikes can ride nicely without being heavy. So a really good balance of performance features.

SS Evo and Specialized Tarmac are the benchmarks other brands use for not aero.
Doesn't matter how skinny the tubes are when they're round - you might find this diagram instructive

As a former huge Cannondale fan (I've had 8 ), I hope that Damon is driving a massive change in the road line up to update the range and give the bikes modern features and a stronger difference between models.

kgt

by kgt

@stormur
Ok, forget the 'tests'. What about this forum's members? Most of the guys who own a supersix (and have ridden many other top bikes in the past) have only positive things to say. Superlight, stiff, comfortable, responsive, lively, great handling etc. etc.
I can accept that there are some aspects to be evolve (bb etc.) but I cannot accept that it is a frame that in terms of absolute performance is dated or retarded.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

It's easy. Before reading : I'm sure majority will call it " rude " , I call it "honest". You don't have to agree with me. I don't care. But if your answer to this content will be " bullshit, not true...." I'm writing EXACTLY ABOUT YOU:

NO ONE will admit : " I made mistake, what a crap, etc " - that 1st thing. And everyone will go to place where they have "acceptance", why - there's answer :

2nd : people more than ever need to "belong" and "follow". Look at topic titles/ content : help me choose, what to choose, this is not so popular on this forum, what others use.... for me it's sick, since those are written by adults. Not so many people are "brave" enough to try something new, and belong on their OWN opinion & experience. Sad, but true.

Examples : Zipp: their "tests" are more than funny (only funny to be honest) , hubs unreliable, wheels overall soft. And what : few trendsetters + pro peloton and Zipp is popular ... ( peloton appearance is based on money and ONLY on money, so please save me "pro's using it " ;) and BTW pro's don't use "so perfect Colnago" ;) )

3rd. people are liars. Reason ? They can. It make them feel better. Examples : bicycle weight. When Giant published REAL weight of bikes, NO ONE admit: I was wrong, my bike is 1kg heavier... NOTHING HAPPENED: Information was TOTALLY IGNORED.

Last example : ....Cannondale ( 7.45kg, when component weights says is closer to 9kg tah to 7 ) - AND SOME "USEFUL IDIOTS" EVEN DEFEND THIS LIAR ! " Aweosme :mrgreen: "

Another one : Lightweight : 1 Q only : what is trueness tolerance for NEW LW wheelset ;) .... Examples like that are MANY.

Are more& more examples, but perfect one is Conti - their "employees" here are sometimes pathetic. It's so obvious that their posts are "sponsored".... And what ? NOTHING. no one is "seeing it" . INCLUDING YOU :) Acceptance put you automatically to this "club".

Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Zipp, Lightweight, Conti, 3T, SRAM : those are "liked" here.

That was about people's "experience" expressed here.
All of them ? Naturally no. majority ? I believe yes, incl "followers" and "members" :) .

Does it mean it is Supersix "crap" frame ? Absolutely NO ! But TODAY are many better, and on this forum this knowledge is "tabula rasa". Ignored. Forbidden. Dicriminated. Topics are not "discussed".

Caad 10 is best ;) And Allez . And Conti 4000s2 :mrgreen:

In racing world of technology, 5y old frame IS OUTDATED, regardless your agreement for that. technology is evolving, there's more data about, design & manufacturing is evolving as well. New is designed to perform better than old. Better is the enemy of "good".

BTW do you noticed any 23mm/25mm tubular rims 5 years ago ? In last 10 years of cycling components dvelopment , EVERYTHING changed. And you think that in last 5 nothing did ? Or Cannondale invented something not known to ALL others ? REALLY ???
Mark Twain